X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chainsaw reviews?

My local HD has several Ryobi and Homelite chainsaws marked down, am wondering if a 14" Homelite saw for $30, or an 18" Ryobi for $75 is going to be worth my effort for occasional use.
    14 in. Gas 35 cc Chain Saw-UT10540 at The Home Depot
    18 in. Gas 46 cc 2-Cycle Chain Saw-RY10518 at The Home Depot

[edit] after reading the reviews on the Homelite, I am unsure if you could pay me to receive one of them for free!
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Re: Chainsaw reviews?

If your gona buy a chainsaw is buy a stihl lots if bottom end or husquavarna lots of high end I like stihl I got a johnsred that a good saw to?

Comment

The Ryobi are not bad little saws.
      I believe the insides are German-dolmar.
      They can be hot rodded.

A better buy is one of the used Makita from their rental fleet.

Comment

Homelite was a good saw many years ago,not now! I would get the ryobi for the bigger displacement and see if I could mount a 16 inch bar. You will get better power cuts and cheaper replacement chains. If I was going to buy a chainsaw for more frequent and heavy use, stihl and husqvarna would be the way to go. Even with the top of the line saws I don't recomment getting the bare bones smallest cu in models. My neighbor got a small stihl and it seized up on him after light use, no return policy after 60 days! I would recommend a midrange model for power and 16inch bar and chain. Folks often buy the biggest bar thinking it will cut larger wood and faster, not true.

Comment

Do not waste your money on a homelite chainsaw dont think you should buy a ryobi chainsaw either for that matter just spend some real money and buy a Stihl or Husquvarna. I am absolutely astonished this brand is actually still sold at big orange. A bigger turd has yet to be made.

Comment

Have had no problems with my Stihl for the past 3 years. I had a Poulan before that which was a royal pain for many years but would not die. When it did I bought the Stihl. With any chainsaw be sure to use better grade fuels not the cheapest grade and don't use stale fuel (>30 days) if possible. And even though its a PITA drain and run the fuel out of the saw when you don't plan to use it for more than a week.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Well Phoey! I had extra cash to get one of the Ryobi saws, they were gone, only the Homelite stuff was there. I suppose I can get a bar for a homeline saw I got dumped on me and torture myself with that?
              We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
              X