X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryobi radio, With battery charger!!!

Fresh off the sting of the jobmax 18 volt tool compatible with ridgid tool, ryobi releases their jobsite radio which has the battery charger! Is there some sort of tti cock fight i dont know about? How many milwaukee or RIDGID loyalists are crapping themselves right now? Not assuming they would rather buy ryobi but why not put that feature in their brand??

Re: ryobi radio, With battery charger!!!

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
    Fresh off the sting of the jobmax 18 volt tool compatible with ridgid tool, ryobi releases their jobsite radio which has the battery charger! Is there some sort of tti cock fight i dont know about? How many milwaukee or RIDGID loyalists are crapping themselves right now? Not assuming they would rather buy ryobi but why not put that feature in their brand??
    I don't know where you get your intel from, but there is nothing yet on their website. Since you had not provided a photo I went and looked for the new radio/charger. Didn't find anything under news releases or the new product list or in the One+ product list. Not saying you're wrong, just wondering how it is you seem to know internal Ryobi info before anyone in the tool press smells it or prints it. Its nice to hear about new tools as they are breaking onto the scene. I wish we could hear reports like that from RIDGID. They have gotten better, and maybe as early as they dare or desire to, so I guess I should not complain.

Anyway, thanks for the scoop, at least for those in the market for a radio/charger for their Ryobi One+ tools.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Doesn't DW still have the patent on that? That radio will be an expensive dude!
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Masterbeavis,

I guess I don't understand this "patent" thing. Generally speaking, a "patent" is a legal registration of an invention or major innovation that stands well apart from anything else. The patent protects the inventor from "infringement". I'm not saying you are wrong by any means, but having a radio and a charger in the same package doesn't at all seem to be "patent-able". I've had several radio's over the past decade or two that had built in chargers (mostly hand-held, ham radio equipment). But regardless, I don't see the idea as unique or as "patentable".

Same applies for Rockler's "Bench Cookie"... just a 1-inch think "disc" that is being sold as a standoff for bench carpentry (and other useds). It's nothing more than a "hockey puck-like" thing with friction material adhered to both sides. Guys have been doing similar things for decades! A recent discussion over on the BT3Central forum alluded to anyone simulating this device in thier own shops was in violation of "Rockler's patent". I just don't see how anyone can "patent" existing methods or devices that have been on the market for quite some time. More likely, at least in Rockler's case, I'm thinking in terms of "copyright" for the use of a particular "branding"... for example, Rockler's "Bench Cookie".

Bob D.

With regard to Ryobi's radio, I'm not really surprised if it is out there on the west coast somewhere. Since I started watching "Ryobi" products back in 2003, I've seen several product just appear without any official press release and certainly without a posting on their website. Likewise, I've seem them disappear too and also be announced and even months later not appear at any of the local Home Depots. "Ridgid" as we know does the same thing all too often, with no "heads up" here on the web site.

Still, it would be nice to know where Pesciwasp sees or gets his information.

CWS

Comment

Just googled "Ryobi radio charger", and came up with 1 entry that sounded right, a PDF file of an owners manual for a model #RC-960 9.6 Volt AM/FM Radio Charger. Not sure if this is what he was referring to, but this doesn't seem to work with 18 volt stuff... In fact it says it ONLY works with a certain drill/battery. It is made to actually hang on a wall and hold the drill AND a spare battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            I don't know where you get your intel from, but there is nothing yet on their website. Since you had not provided a photo I went and looked for the new radio/charger. Didn't find anything under news releases or the new product list or in the One+ product list. Not saying you're wrong, just wondering how it is you seem to know internal Ryobi info before anyone in the tool press smells it or prints it. Its nice to hear about new tools as they are breaking onto the scene. I wish we could hear reports like that from RIDGID. They have gotten better, and maybe as early as they dare or desire to, so I guess I should not complain.

Anyway, thanks for the scoop, at least for those in the market for a radio/charger for their Ryobi One+ tools.
            I would love to come up with some juicy story about how i found out about the radio, but truth is it was at home depot on display!
            also on depot web site.
            Last edited by pesciwasp; 10-11-2011, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
              Masterbeavis,

I guess I don't understand this "patent" thing. Generally speaking, a "patent" is a legal registration of an invention or major innovation that stands well apart from anything else.

CWS

Bosch got sued and had to pay millions of dollars

Here is a quote from an earlier post I made.
              Black & Decker v. Robert Bosch Tool Corporation
              Representing Black & Decker in multi-patent dispute regarding jobsite radio charger. Achieved favorable claim construction for the patents-in-suit and denial of defendant Bosch’s four summary judgment motions. Full jury trial on the merits conducted before the Honorable Amy J. St. Eve, Northern District of Illinois, resulted in a jury verdict finding both patents-in-suit valid and infringed, awarding $1.75 million in lost profit and reasonable royalty damages as well as determining that Bosch’s infringement was willful.

Conducted and won separate bench trial on Bosch’s inequitable conduct defense, with the Court denying Bosch’s defense that the patents-in-suit were unenforceable due to inequitable conduct. Achieved the award of enhanced damages, prejudgment interest and Black & Decker’s costs against Bosch, bringing damages awarded to nearly $2.8 million with Black & Decker’s request for an injunction granted and entered against Bosch’s infringing jobsite radio charger. The original case and a second, companion case settled favorably after appeal.

Comment

Thanks!

Interesting case. I'm at a loss as to how the legal system works I guess. Juries making outlandish awards, lawyers seemingly inability to defend, with "logic" on their side, etc. Such is the world I guess.

Thanks again for the info,

CWS

Comment

Wow. That sucks about the radio. I have been wanting a new Ridgid radio for some time but was kind of hoping it would have a charger on it at some point. My understanding is that Bosch pays $20 per unit sold as a royalty to Black and Decker for the patent usage. I would gladly pay $20 more dollars for the radio to charge my batteries.

Just to clarify this isn't a myth, here is the link to the Ryobi radio for Home Depot website.

18-Volt ONE+ Toughtunes(TM) Radio/Charger-P745 at The Home Depot

Kevin

Comment

WOW! I suppose it exists!

Now this means I really do need to get hot on making a Ryobi to Ridgid adapter! It is almost like Home Depot does not care about really promoting their overpriced, slightly better than Ryobi but inferior to everything else tool line.

Maybe I should switch to Ryobi? I can get the stuff dirt cheap, when it fails, throw it in the trash and get another out of the truck. (You should always keep spares on you when you use cheap tools you count on to make your living.)

Has anyone tried out the new Kobalt line of 18V tools? Lifetime warranty at 2/3rds the price...

Comment

Kobalt cordless tools only have a 5yr warranty and 3 years on the battery.

I swear HD is trying to kill the Ridgid line, they are slowly doing so...

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                        Kobalt cordless tools only have a 5yr warranty and 3 years on the battery.

I swear HD is trying to kill the Ridgid line, they are slowly doing so...
                        I think I had confused the Hitachi tool warranty with the Kobalt warranty, I was reading about both at the same time. The Hitachi warranty lasts a "lifetime" of the "availability" of the parts. That sounds more reasonable than your or my lifetime, trying to get parts on a 30+ year old obsolete tool.

Comment

Well I picked up one of these tonight I have a few ryobi tools that I use around the house. The one I bought turned out to be a lemon the thing couldn't tune in a station at all. I have alot of the ryobi tools don't pick on me too hard they were some of my first power tools. I just bought my ridgid radio wonder if i should take it back if they are going to release a new version that charges the batteries also.

Comment

The one pictured is supposed to charge batteries! If that is the one you bought and does not charge batteries, we all got duped. The small blue one they sell, If that is the one you bought, it wont charge batteries, (duh) and if it does not pick up stations, you live in a non rural area, take it back for another one.

Comment

Yes the new radio does charge batteries, but the ipod integration is not as nice as my ridgid.

Comment

Working...
                              X