X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Battery Deserves Amazing Tools

I was at Home Depot today and on dispaly were Ridgid kits including the hyper lithium batteries and Milwaukee and DeWalt tool displays. The Ridgid hyper lithium is a home run, the Ridgid tool selection is a flop. If ridgid simply offered a grinder, heavy duty impact wrench and one or two other tools, the choice for customers would be easy. I compare what ridgid is doing to a major auto manufacturer who offers the best engine in a car that doesn't offer air conditioning, power windows or other options. What is the down side to offering tools I mentioned? Are they afraid of increased sales?

Re: Amazing Battery Deserves Amazing Tools

I talked to a tti rep about this, he said its out of their hands, that Home Depot has full control of the Ridgid powertool line up...

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
      I talked to a tti rep about this, he said its out of their hands, that Home Depot has full control of the Ridgid powertool line up...
      wouldnt that be the same case with ryobi? the company with the tools that frankie mentions every week since 2007. (i agree with him and would buy them also) ryobi is made for depot also.

Hey alpha my email is pesciwasp@yahoo.com. email me your address and cost of parts for the impact and ill ship it with check for return shipping included.

Comment

Went 18 volt makita,lots of them,and never looked back! Reminds My of My 81 toyota pickup with 200,000 miles,wouldn't Die.
        With a tear in My eye ,I took Her out behind the barn and put an armor Peircing round into Her sweet heart !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Went 18 volt makita,lots of them,and never looked back! Reminds My of My 81 toyota pickup with 200,000 miles,wouldn't Die.
          With a tear in My eye ,I took Her out behind the barn and put an armor Peircing round into Her sweet heart !
          The only reason why I went with Ridgid was a got a sweetheart deal on the 5 piece X3 set at $325, then hooked up with the 1 handed recep saw, 3.0ah battery and extra charger for $25. I scour my local stores for returns, have like 12 batteries bought at less than 40% retail.

I think otherwise Makita or Dewalt would have gotten my money. I was a Dewalt user prior to the Ridgid swap.

You are a selfish man, ending the life of that Toyota pickup! 200K is only the beginning of that things life. I bet it was worth more to somebody as a fixer than to the junkyard as a dead truck..
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I agree 100 percent that is why I logged on to find a cordless grinder just got great deal on 5 piece 18 volt set only paid 420 for it with an extra battery but would love to have grinder guess ill get a dewalt if ridgid don't want the money.

Comment

No such animal as an 18V grinder in the Ridgid flavor yet (or ever). One person did make the same comment about wishing Ridgid had a cordless vacuum. I was baffled to find out that in fact they did make one briefly. Of course it did not sell like hotcakes, so they discontinued it.

Myself and one other forum member have been toying with the idea of making an adapter that will allow us to use Ridgid batteries in other brand tools (i.e. Dewalt and Ryobi) to take advantage of having existing chargers and batteries to run tools that we probably will never see in orange unless we used spray paint and stickers! I had already seen a guy on craigslist who grafted 24/18V bases to a cordless leaf blower and a Ryobi laminate trimmer, that would be another way to go if you had dead tools to sacrifice to the cause

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                No such animal as an 18V grinder in the Ridgid flavor yet (or ever). One person did make the same comment about wishing Ridgid had a cordless vacuum. I was baffled to find out that in fact they did make one briefly. Of course it did not sell like hotcakes, so they discontinued it.

Myself and one other forum member have been toying with the idea of making an adapter that will allow us to use Ridgid batteries in other brand tools (i.e. Dewalt and Ryobi) to take advantage of having existing chargers and batteries to run tools that we probably will never see in orange unless we used spray paint and stickers! I had already seen a guy on craigslist who grafted 24/18V bases to a cordless leaf blower and a Ryobi laminate trimmer, that would be another way to go if you had dead tools to sacrifice to the cause

i think the $119 price tag is why vac didnt sell. I think if they recreate the vac it should be corded/cordless

Comment

Every bare tool sold under the Ridgid name is $119.

If they were to put a cord on the vac, why bother with provisions for a battery?

For some reason I have a fetish for anything cordless, but in reality I am not out in the sticks without electricity. Besides, I still have to recharge batteries.. Ridgid never made a 12V vehicle charger (surprise Ryobi made 2, NICD and LI-ION) so in reality I need electricity.

Comment

Every bare tool sold under the Ridgid name is $119.

If they were to put a cord on the vac, why bother with provisions for a battery?

For some reason I have a fetish for anything cordless, but in reality I am not out in the sticks without electricity. Besides, I still have to recharge batteries.. Ridgid never made a 12V vehicle charger (surprise Ryobi made 2, NICD and LI-ION) so in reality I need electricity.
                    i think it should have both cord and battery operated like the dewalt vac. It makes the tool more versatile

Comment

I have never had much use for my ridgid tool light, so I was thinking about cutting the battery receptacle base off and mounting it to a DeWalt 1/2" heavy duty impact wrench. $140 for the bare tool with 300ftlbs of torque and it will use my ridgid batteries!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        I have never had much use for my ridgid tool light, so I was thinking about cutting the battery receptacle base off and mounting it to a DeWalt 1/2" heavy duty impact wrench. $140 for the bare tool with 300ftlbs of torque and it will use my ridgid batteries!
                        Frank, once I have some free time, I am going to do virtually the same thing. My plan is to take the flashlight base and graft it to the top of a ryobi battery. I have 5 Ridgid flashlights I never use so I might make a Milwaukee one, as well as a dewalt and Hitachi one. Just need to keep an eye on the battery recycling containers at HD for donor parts!

Comment

Which flashlights are you guys talking about destroying?

I have lots of Dewalt and Ryobi dead batteries, and a couple of dead dewalt and Ryobi 18V drills.

Some flashlight bases will take 24V batteries as well!

Comment

Which flashlights are you guys talking about destroying?

I have lots of Dewalt and Ryobi dead batteries, and a couple of dead dewalt and Ryobi 18V drills.

Some flashlight bases will take 24V batteries as well!
                            I have 3 maxselect lights and 2 or 3 18v variants. If you want to donate those batteries for R&D, I am interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                              Frank, once I have some free time, I am going to do virtually the same thing. My plan is to take the flashlight base and graft it to the top of a ryobi battery. I have 5 Ridgid flashlights I never use so I might make a Milwaukee one, as well as a dewalt and Hitachi one. Just need to keep an eye on the battery recycling containers at HD for donor parts!
                              how will you graft it?

Comment

Working...
                              X