Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact Driver

Dumb Question.
    What is the difference between the Ridgid Model R842301 and Model R86230? Is one any better than the other? Ron

Re: Impact Driver

Have you googled the specs on both tools? I would use the search feature on Ridgid.com first, compare specs, and go from there. I have not used both tools side by side to tell you if there is any obvious differences aside from cosmetic. Chances are that you will not notice any difference between the two tools unless you drive lots of screws daily. Go with the less expensive one.

Edit, had time to do the work for you, am curious myself. My conclusion is they are pretty much all the same except for the larger tool having 50 inch pounds of torque more. That is 4.166 pounds of torque more, not really noticeable.

R86230 IMPACT DRIVER: from X3 kit.
    Volts: 18 V
    No Load Speeds::
    0-2,400 RPM 0- 3,100 IPM
    Torque: 1,450 in. lbs.

R86030 18V Compact Impact Driver
    (fuego)
    Volts: 18V
    No Load Speeds: 0-2,400 RPM 0- 3,100 IPM
    Torque: 1,400 in. lbs

R842301
    Impact Driver: From X2 kit
    Volts: 18 V
    Coupler:
    ΒΌ in. Hex Quick Coupler
    No Load Speeds:
    0-2,400 r/min. (RPM) 0-3,100 IPM
    Torque:
    1,450 in.lb.

Impact Driver R86034 from X4 kit
    Volts: 18V
    No Load Speeds: 0-2,400 RPM, 0-3,100 IPM
    Torque: 1,400 in. lbs

R8823 Dual Voltage Impact Driver
    Volts: 18 V NiCd or 24 V Li-Ion
    Torque:
    1,490 in.lb.
    No Load Speeds:

0-1,700 r/min. 0-2,900 BPM @ 18 V
    0-2,100 r/min. 0-3,300 BPM @ 24 V

I have both the R86030 (compact driver) and the R86230 from the X3 kit. I do not own the R8823(yet), R842301 or the R86034. I honestly prefer the my R86030 compact driver over the X3 driver. It is somewhat smaller, and seems to not bog down or heat up and smell like its going to die like my X3 does. Even the compact impact that looks like it got ran over by a car drives screws better than the X3 does. My buddy at HD has come to the same conclusion about those two tools.

He also claims the X4 has a better build quality overall, and so far has not had one single return, whereas the X3, X2 and the 24V max select have been returned on a regular basis. I personally dont like the handle for the X4 or X3 drill. The X4 mounts STUPIDLY, it clamps onto two nubs, the X3 is a bolt, both only have two positions, left or right. I hear the batteries are a great deal better. Prices for the bare tool (impact) are inline with the pricing of what the X3's go for.

In closing, I would buy the X4 impact R86034 , or the compact impact R86030
    Last edited by masterbeavis; 10-13-2011, 12:28 AM.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I checked and really could see any difference in the two. I bought the R86230 because that was the one being sold. Have not gotten it yet so I hope it will be a good tool. It has the all metal gear box/gears so it should be a workhorse. ANybody have opinions or use reviews on this model? Thanks, Ron

Comment

Thanks MasterBeavis! Appreciate the leg work. Ron

Comment

Can I use my older 18V lithium batteries in the new X4 tools or do they take a differnt battery? Ron

Comment

Yes you can Ron.

Comment

Would it be any disadvantage on tool performance or is it just the new Hyper lithium is a better battery than my regular lithium compact battery.
              I can get either tool the older X3 or the new X4. Just don't know which to get. Does the older lithium battery mate up with the new tool like the X3? Thanks, Ron
              Last edited by Ronald; 10-14-2011, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Batteries are batteries. If they fit in the tool and are 18V, they will work JUST FINE! Just buy something and enjoy it already! I cant tell you what to buy AND come over and use the tool for you as well!

I do not recommend the 86230, I prefer the smaller unit the 86030, just like the one I have that looks like it got ran over by a car! I will sacrifice the 50 in/lbs. of torque for less weight and a smaller tool any day. The R86034 (x4) would be my second choice. Looks like the pricing is very close among the impact line on ebay.

REMEMBER! I do not see any X4 products in the return black hole. Either people are not buying them, or they are not returning them because they are happy with their purchase. I think it is the second of the two.

I just read the reviews on HDs website on the R86034K, the only negative thing mentioned in the reviews is that the kit only came with one battery. 4.9 out of 5.
                Last edited by masterbeavis; 10-15-2011, 01:04 AM.

Comment

What I can't get you to rebuild my deck, darn! I hear what you are saying.

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                  Batteries are batteries. If they fit in the tool and are 18V, they will work JUST FINE! Just buy something and enjoy it already! I cant tell you what to buy AND come over and use the tool for you as well!

I do not recommend the 86230, I prefer the smaller unit the 86030, just like the one I have that looks like it got ran over by a car! I will sacrifice the 50 in/lbs. of torque for less weight and a smaller tool any day. The R86034 (x4) would be my second choice. Looks like the pricing is very close among the impact line on ebay.

REMEMBER! I do not see any X4 products in the return black hole. Either people are not buying them, or they are not returning them because they are happy with their purchase. I think it is the second of the two.

Comment

Heh, money can motivate me to do things around your house that I wont typically do around mine!

Buy the X4 and be happy.

Comment

Just got my new X4 18 volt impact driver and have one more question about the light. Is the light suppose to comem\ on when triggers is pressed and stay on and same with the light switch. The only way to turn light off after you turn it on is to remove battery. Is this normal? Can get a little annoying to have that light on all the time while using it.

I think I have my answer. It is on a time delay.
                      Last edited by Ronald; 10-19-2011, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald View Post

I think I have my answer. It is on a time delay.
                        You are correct. It shuts off at 5 sec I think.

Comment

The bulb is LED, it can stay on for 4 days straight and not kill the battery.

Be glad the light stays on, the X3 stuff goes off the second you let off the trigger. That is annoying when you are in a dark space and are relying on the light to place the screw. With the trigger pressed to have the light on, the screw is moving and wobbling, and falls off....

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                            The bulb is LED, it can stay on for 4 days straight and not kill the battery.

Be glad the light stays on, the X3 stuff goes off the second you let off the trigger. That is annoying when you are in a dark space and are relying on the light to place the screw. With the trigger pressed to have the light on, the screw is moving and wobbling, and falls off....
                            Same with my 1/2" compact drill. It bugs the heck out of me. I can't believe it took tool engineers so long to figure out either 1-barely press the trigger to get the light, but no motor, or 2-press the trigger to get the light for 5, 10, or however many seconds.

I think I prefer the first option, but the second is nice if you're in a dark place and need to set the drill down to use as a hands-free light.

Comment

I will trade you! But You keep your square chuck, and I will keep my tapered one!

Comment

Working...
                              X