X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter saw table (buy vs make)

i recently bought a new ridgid combo miter saw.
    has anyone built their own saw stand? i'm not keen to spend another $130 and suspect some 2x4's would suit for a DIY alternative. anyone do this, seen a schematic, recommendations, comments, etc?

Re: Miter saw table (buy vs make)

Are you looking for a stand with mobility or something permanent? For a permanent location I'd build but I would buy if mobility is important.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I built one a number of years ago, it is about 16 foot long, and sat it up on some saw type horses, used it when building a house, it was solid and sturdy, (I had my daughter helping me that summer) and she had difficulty using the skill saw, so most all the lumber was cut by the miter saw, it was easer for her to put the lumber up on the stand and cut it than to work the saw,
      it was not and still is not very portable, but dropping a 2x on the deck of it did not phase it either,

I think I would go with Dave's advice portable buy, stationary build,

one other feature I saw some where, (I think this was even with a arm saw), but to set it out to the front of the table/bench, I think this one even had pull out arms, that the lumber sat on, the reason is that in many shops, if there is a flat surface something is sat on that surface, and by putting it out to the front of the bench or table (and in this instance the pull out arms that supported the wood on either side of the saw), was a surface that did not need to be clean off before use, or if it is on the out side edge little needs to be moved to use the saw,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

There are a number of plans available online. Norm built a nice one some years abck and you can get the plans at The New Yankee Workshop web site.

Woodsmith shop also had a nice plan which you can get one line.

Both had extensions to accomodate long work pieces and can be broken down for storage.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I bought one from the home depot, a ryobi model, for 99 dollars CDN on sale. It works great on my bosch 10" CMS. I have also packed it up and taken it to a jobsite with little difficulty. I thought about buying a second one for my planer, as it has a great set of adjustable rollers.

RYOBI | RYOBI Mitre Saw Stand | Home Depot Canada

Comment

many thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
            X