X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portable table saw

saw the compact portable table saw in store the other day, r45161. i thought they discontinued it but i guess they reissued and added a 1 to the model number. Usually means they improved it. I couldnt tell it was in back storage room..

Re: portable table saw

I like mine.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
      I like mine.
      love mine too. never understood why make something as handy as that for a limited run?

Comment

I had wanted one of the "little" table saws for a few years. Basically had 3 "professional" choices: Ridgid, Dewalt, Craftsman Professional. Haven't seen the Ridgid at Depot in a long time. Almost picked up one of the Dewalts at Lowes when it was on sale for 299. Well, got the Home Depot black Friday ad and there was the Ridgid R45161 for 269. Really wanted the Ridgid given that I've had a Ridgid TS2400 for a while now and absolutely LOVE it. I have no problem bringing it to a job that I know I'm gonna be at for a while and can leave it on site, however, don't like bringing it to all of the small jobs where I may only be making a couple cuts. I have no problem loading and unloading the saw into my van by myself (even though it's not the lightest tool by any means), but it does take up a decent amount of real estate. So, I picked up one of the R45161 saws. First impression is that the plastic used for the cabinet is VERY thin and flexible. I understand that the plastic is merely decorative and not structural, but it still seems a little too thin especially where the cord wrap is. The fence doesn't compare to the rack and pinion fence on the compact Dewalt model, but for 269 compared to 369 (the price when not on sale) for the Dewalt, I'm willing to compromise there and it's still a nicer fence than on any of the "cheaper" brand (Skil, Ryobi, etc) saws. Other than that the saw appears to be well thought out and well built and I'm anxious to take it to the job and try it out.
        You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

ONLINE TOOL DEAL ALERT--- ymmv in store price match

RIDGID 10 in. 15 Amp Compact Table Saw $169

Model # R45161
          Internet # 202871796

Free Shipping

Attachment

10 in. 15 Amp Compact Table Saw-R45161 at The Home Depot
          Attached Files

Comment

They are out of stock on the website but if you can get your local HD to match the website price you can pick-up the R4516 for $169.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I had looked at the earlier model a couple of years ago. While I thought it was a nice size, and I was certainly in need of one at the time, the display model was so screwed up that it turned me off completely. The fence was no where close to being parallel with the blade, nor the blade with the table, and the fence looked and felt about as cheap as they could come.

While I certainly know that "display" models are too often really thrown together by one of the instore folks, this particular unit I couldn't see any way to fix or align. Sears had the same (or very similar) model wearing the Craftsman brand... and although a bit better in shape, it's fence was also well out of alignment. Bottom line was I just went elsewhere and that particular Ridgid model sort of disappeared within another few months.

I hope this new one is much, much better!

CWS

Comment

After reading the post pointing out the online price on this saw, I decided to call my local H-Depot and see if they'd do anything for me. I spoke to a man in the tool dept and he said they should be able to honor the online price, but after checking with his dept manager, said they would if it was in stock online. Next I called the H-Depot 800 number and the rep told me that the store doesn't have to honor the online price, but I can backorder it online (with no guarantee when, if at all, it will be in stock) and return the one I bought locally as long as it was withing the local store's return policy and packaged in the original box. I decided to give my wife a shot (she's the director of the purchasing department at a major hospital) and she's much more composed than I am at accomplishing anything over the phone. First she spoke to the same woman that I did and the line "mysteriously" dropped the call. She called again and spoke to a man this time named *****. ***** told her to print the online price and take it to the store with the receipt and we should have no problem having them match the price, and if not ask to speak to the store manager (who happens to see us in the store ALL the time and even comments how we're there as much as he is). My wife gives the customer service associate the receipt and the ad and she willingly returned the saw on the original receipt and "resold" it to us for the online price, with no problem whatsoever. I'm not sure the actual policy of Home Depot's regarding this, but in the end we got it for the online price. Now I'm even more excited about the purchase, to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by King Dork View Post
                  Now I'm even more excited about the purchase, to say the least.
                  Did you get it for $169 then? If so that's a smokin good deal! Normally $299 and was on for $269 for Black Friday.

Comment

DaveTTi,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum!

The "TTi" certainly caught my eye, but seeing your closing "signature line" makes me happy that you might just join in with the rest of us to share your interests. Personally, this is my favorite forum with a great number of interesting members sharing a variety of experiences and opinions. Good place and I hope you feel free to join in the conversation.

Season's greetings,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTTi View Post
                      Did you get it for $169 then? If so that's a smokin good deal! Normally $299 and was on for $269 for Black Friday.
                      I did end up getting it for $169 in store. I was pretty excited.

Comment

Just spent the last 2 days on the jobsite with my new "lil buddy" saw. Used it to rip 1x maple for jamb extensions. Overall I'm very happy with the saw. Table was very sturdy and "feet" kept the saw in place well. The fence is far from as "sweet" as the one on my TS2400, but worked admirably. The motor did seem oddly powerful (not a bad thing, just surprised me a bit). All the controls work great and are well placed. Gonna be a great saw to bring along to my indoor jobs.

Comment

King,

I'm happy to hear that you like you new portable. After reading your posts I thought I'd stop in to my local HD this afternoon and see what improvements they've made that justified my earlier comments on the model that I looked at three or so years ago.

Man, are you lucky you didn't see the one in my store today!!! Maybe it's just the locals, or the store, or whatever... but the display model that I saw a couple of hours ago was NOT at all impressive. The fence is simply doesn't lock down square or move smoothly over the table. I took note that I could move the rear end of the fence to the left or the right a fraction of an inch and it would lock-down in that position. Not the way it should be and on both my Ryobi table's if the rear is not where it should be, it will definitely move to it's proper "squared" position when you start to lock down the lever. (While I know that these two brands are from the same company, I'm surprised by the difference in the fence lock/square mechanism. I would expect such on the cheapest Ryobi, but the Ridgid should be much better, IMO.)

Also on today's display model, the power switch lever was almost broken off... looks like some idiot just pulled up on the tab to a point where you can now see a break/stress line in the plastic. That's NOT Ridgid or Home Depot's fault, just some local idiot. I can never understand why people do these kind of things... it's no wonder Home Depot is cutting back on the number or tools they have on display.

But also, the elevation/bevel adjustment wasn't working right either. It presently sits at about 30-degrees and with the mechanism unlocked you can change the angle upwards to 45-degrees and back to approx 30, but then it is jammed and will go no further. There is NO blade on the arbor and at first I thought the anti-kickback palls may be hanging up, but with them lifted out of the way and the plastic guard removed (it was already) neither the bevel or heigth adjustment will work freely... obviously something under the table has been jammed.

Sadly this display has got to be less than three-weeks old, as it wasn't there the last time I was in that store. So, this is probably not a good or bad testiment for this model, but it does concern me that it can be screwed up so quickly.... but of course, when it's yours things are much better controlled.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                            King,

I'm happy to hear that you like you new portable. After reading your posts I thought I'd stop in to my local HD this afternoon and see what improvements they've made that justified my earlier comments on the model that I looked at three or so years ago.

Man, are you lucky you didn't see the one in my store today!!! Maybe it's just the locals, or the store, or whatever... but the display model that I saw a couple of hours ago was NOT at all impressive. The fence is simply doesn't lock down square or move smoothly over the table. I took note that I could move the rear end of the fence to the left or the right a fraction of an inch and it would lock-down in that position. Not the way it should be and on both my Ryobi table's if the rear is not where it should be, it will definitely move to it's proper "squared" position when you start to lock down the lever. (While I know that these two brands are from the same company, I'm surprised by the difference in the fence lock/square mechanism. I would expect such on the cheapest Ryobi, but the Ridgid should be much better, IMO.)

Also on today's display model, the power switch lever was almost broken off... looks like some idiot just pulled up on the tab to a point where you can now see a break/stress line in the plastic. That's NOT Ridgid or Home Depot's fault, just some local idiot. I can never understand why people do these kind of things... it's no wonder Home Depot is cutting back on the number or tools they have on display.

But also, the elevation/bevel adjustment wasn't working right either. It presently sits at about 30-degrees and with the mechanism unlocked you can change the angle upwards to 45-degrees and back to approx 30, but then it is jammed and will go no further. There is NO blade on the arbor and at first I thought the anti-kickback palls may be hanging up, but with them lifted out of the way and the plastic guard removed (it was already) neither the bevel or heigth adjustment will work freely... obviously something under the table has been jammed.

Sadly this display has got to be less than three-weeks old, as it wasn't there the last time I was in that store. So, this is probably not a good or bad testiment for this model, but it does concern me that it can be screwed up so quickly.... but of course, when it's yours things are much better controlled.

CWS
                            when i use mine im careful to only move fence by locking end, it stays perfectly straight that way

Comment

Several years back when I looked at the TS2400 in the store, the display at my local HD was messed up! Everything was loose and rattling on it. I was so unimpressed that I decided to go with the other Ridgid table saw (the non portable one, not sure what model it was), however, my local HD had the saw in stock but not the rail kit. So, I called the next closest HD (about 45 minutes away) and they had the saw and the rails in stock. When I got to that store, their TS2400 was correct. Everything was tight, square, and all the controls operated properly and smoothly. I ended up leaving that store with the TS2400 and have loved mine since then. When I bought my R45161 there was no display at my local HD, just the saws in the boxes. What irritates me about the stores that have "jacked up" display models in their stores is how the heck do they get that way? Both of my saws came out of the box basically set up with the exception of the blade guards attached, which is quick and easy. The fence on my R45161 locks down square and secure and the blade height and bevel controls work as they should. After my TS2400, I try not to judge a tool solely on the in store display since they obviously often have completely unqualified associates setting these things up. Just a shame that the store in general and particularly it's tool department associates don't take more pride in what they sell, ESPECIALLY if it's their stores "featured brand". On a side note, just about any of the tool associates at my local HD are completely clueless on anything tool related. As an educated buyer I enjoy going in there just to have one of their employees try to sell me something while giving me completely false facts about what they're trying to push on me. I know that may be a little rude, but it's entertaining nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                              X