X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid sander is useless and so is the warranty

My wife gave me a Ridgid 1/4 sheet sander for Christmas last year and I have not used it much and when I finally had a use for it it is useless. The handles that hold the paper on fly open from the vibration. It is a bad design and is useless so I tried to use the lifetime warranty that comes with any power tool (which is why she picked this one) you of course cant take it back to HD they make you send it to a official repair shop which is nothing more than anyone who wants to pay them to be one. So I find the list that are approved for power tools. There is only one within an hours drive so I call to ask about bringing it in and they say oh we dont do electrical power equipment you have to send it somewhere else. They do not list which ones does and does not work on my type of tool so it is a guessing game and this thing is heavy enough that if I send it to the wrong place a couple of times I would better off buying a different one anyway which is what I will do. I will never buy Ridgid again they are over priced pieces of junk. I could have gotten a Milwaukee cheaper and I am sure it would have lasted longer than one summer...........

Re: Ridgid sander is useless and so is the warranty

um, the milwaukee one is made by the same company... actually, its damn near the same sander. Call Ridgid directly. If its even under 3 years its covered and can and will be repaired. Trust me, call customer service, and be nice, have your purchase records as well and the serial number. They will find you where it needs to go and take care of you, I know from experiance as I have never had an issue getting anything fixed that has broken. FYI, the milwaukee would need to be shipped off too, Home Depot wouldn't just fix it in store or exchange it, they would tell you the same thing, bring it to or ship it to a milwaukee repair outfit. NO ONE exchanges powertools that are over 90 days if they break... NO ONE. Unless you bought a tool from a specialized tool shop that also has a repair facility in house, no retailer is going to repair them in store.

Comment

The repair in store is not the issue for me just another factor. I did call and was pleasant and was not upset at all but was told that the list of repair shops was up to date and that all the names on the list would be able to fix my product, when I explained what I was told by my local shop I was told that the shop should have called them to be removed from the list which has nothing to do with me but I know the local shop is not going to do so becasue they are doing business and I am sure making a nice living off of the gas powered repairs they do. But I hope you can see why I do not trust the list since they do not have a good handle on it. What I did was ask if the new model head would fit mine becasue they have changed it right after I got mine and I am sure they figured out that it was a terrible design and had trouble with it. I was told by the really nice lady that she would check on it and call me back the next day so I gave her my number and my email. I never received any call or email. So I ended up just ordering a new head whcih cost me $20. It was cheaper to buy a new head than mail this off and chance it but since I didn't know if the new model would fit mine I ordered the same one thinking maybe mine had gotten damaged some how even though it is new. But after putting the new one on and trying it out it worked for about 10 minutes and did the same thing. So I am done with ridgid... Maybe you have had a good experience with them but mine has been nothing but a headache. Plus when I really needed my sander I didin't have one and then got the run around.....

Comment

Hopefully one of the moderators here will respond to this issue. Pm Josh, he might be able to help you out.

Comment

Dug2598,

I understand your frustration, but as Alphacowboy suggested, Ridgid makes a very good tool and apparently you've just been caught with this bad experience. As for myself, I have the first model of the 1/4 sheet sander which I purchased in 2003 and after about four years of pretty heavy use I did have something internally break. I sent it to my local service center here in NY and I had in back in a couple of weeks and it's been working perfectly ever since.

I don't understant the issue you had with a repair center refusing to fix the tool "because they don't do electrical tools"... I would go so far as suggesting that perhaps they weren't truthful with Ridgid about their capabilities, but then I really don't know the circumstances.

In any case, try to contact either "Josh" or "ProBrand" here on the forum (both are Ridgid people) and I'm sure they will address the issue with you directly.

As far a Home Depot, it is exactly as "Alpha" said... they don't handle the warranty, Ridgid does. The "warranty" is for 3-years though and not "Lifetime" as you believe. There is a "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" that you must properly register for, but you may be past that time frame allowance. You could check with Josh or Probrand when you communicate to them.

Finally, I own several Ridgid-brand power tools (over a dozen) and to date they have all served quite well, with only the beforementioned sander requiring a repair, which was promply done. I am sorry that you have had this poor experience, but I do think it can still be remedied to your satisfaction.

Good luck,

CWS

Comment

My quarter sheet I just bought, I returned and got the Dewalt with the tried and trueMETAL clamps on them. The Ridgid front clamp is made of plastic, had worn, and now tosses the sheet of sandpaper off after 10 seconds or so. NEXT!
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

See as you can above I am not the only one who has this issue. I am new to the forum and do not know how to contact others. But as far as the local shop here I thought when I saw the name it seemed alittle weird but it is a small engine repair shop. From my experoence that usually means gas engines and that is what they told me was all they work on. So if I knew that seems like someone who decides who gets to be an offical Rigid repairer would know that as well. I appreciate all of your comments about having great experiences with Rigid products but I hate it for them unless a miracle happens this was my one and out on them. They really dropped the ball as far as I am concerned. If the lady would have actually checked to see if the new model head fit mine and it did I would have bought the parts not just sent them back for them to repair but with not getting an answer and buying more products that dont work I really am disappointed with them......

Comment

You know I have been thinking about this warranty and it really gets to me. This is one big factor to me as to whether I will do business with a company or not. My wife bought this sander because I had one that i wore out and she knew I needed one so she went to the store and was told by the salesman there that this one was a little more expensive but had a "lifetime warranty" or what turns out to be a lifetime service agreement (if you stand on your head and whistle the correct tune). I really believe companies like this take advantage of people like my wife who thought she was doing the right thing. It doesn't seem so hard to just do the right thing but for some companies that just isnt the way to go. For me if you really believe and stand behind your product then offer a warranty that is straight forward. If it breaks take it back (with receipt) to the place you bought it and either get a new one or have it repaired. A company that makes you first register it within so many days online and then print out papers and sign and mail in and like I said before stand on your head...... This is nothing but a way to weasel out of the warranty and that in its self is dishonest and why I chose to not buy or use anymore Ridgid products.

Comment

Makita makes the best 1/4 sheet sander. Light-weight, comfortable to use and powerful.
                  Last edited by Abbott; 11-02-2011, 01:12 PM.

Comment

If you want a real nice Ridgid sander I would suggest the Ridgid edge-belt/spindle sander. The only draw back I have found with it is that the belts from Home Depot do not like to track properly on it. Other brand's belts work fine. I know they are tools for different applications this is just what I have learned over the years. Good luck with your issues.

Comment

I'm on my second R2501. The first time Home Depot swapped it out for me but it didn't take long for this one to stop holding paper of any grit. Unfortunately I wasn't given a receipt when I got the new sander and I didn't register the sander. I'll try anyway and see if they'll fix it, otherwise I'm going to have to buy someone else's sander. I hate it because I really like their tools!

Comment

That has always been my concern, when I hear that the store simply "swapped" tools with a purchaser who has had a problem. While it IS nice of one of the sales associates to do that, it leaves me wondering about the warranty and especially about the "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement"... as you really have no receipt when a simple "swap" is done.

I've had a Ryobi tool swapped out because of various problems and it was very much appreciated, but in that particular case the warranty wasn't a particularly big deal; but with Ridgid, I would have like to get the LLSA registration accomplished. In order to do that properly, the store would have had to take back my original tool, refund the money and then process the new tool with a new receipt.

In any case, I hope you make out with getting your warranty work done. My old (first generation) sander has held up pretty well, though I have had the motor serviced. Since then (a couple of years ago), it has worked great.

Good luck and Merry Christmas,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                        X