X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1005 Grinder Part

I have a Ridgid R1005 right-angle grinder. Love it! But, the rear bearing, at the commutator end, just flew apart - no other damage to the grinder. I can't find anyone on-line that even identifies the bearing separately. They all want to sell me the whole motor, for a price near what I paid for the grinder in the first place. Anyone have any idea if I can get that bearing by itself?
    Thanks

Re: R1005 Grinder Part

Take the P/N off the bearing and go to a bearing supply house or take what is left of the bearing in and they should be able to replace it

Comment

I've gotten replacement bearings for lots of power tools at my local carquest auto parts store. They usually cross the numbers or just measure the size.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
        I've gotten replacement bearings for lots of power tools at my local carquest auto parts store. They usually cross the numbers or just measure the size.
        Thanks for that suggestion. I've actually thought about going to my local branch of King Bearing, but I was hoping that someone might actually have a replacement bearing part number before I did, just to save me the time and effort.

Thanks

Comment

I have one of these grinders.

Can you explain in detail what happened to cause the rear bearing
          to "blow apart"?
          Is this a potential hazard where a recall may require initiation by Ridgid?

These are rather new tools so if yours is less than 3 years old and/or you have
          registered it for the "LSA" you should be able to take it to a Ridgid tool
          service center....

OR did you think this grinder can replace a 7" heavy duty type and by your abuse you
          caused the damage? This tool is for light to medium grinding.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
            Take the P/N off the bearing and go to a bearing supply house or take what is left of the bearing in and they should be able to replace it
            Thanks for that. Only problem is that the bearing is so small there's no room for, nor does there exist, a part number of any kind. I'll just have to go down to my local bearing house and have them measure the ID and OD of the existing bearings, and try to match it.
            Thanks again
            Joel

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
              I have one of these grinders.

Can you explain in detail what happened to cause the rear bearing
              to "blow apart"?
              Is this a potential hazard where a recall may require initiation by Ridgid?

These are rather new tools so if yours is less than 3 years old and/or you have
              registered it for the "LSA" you should be able to take it to a Ridgid tool
              service center....

OR did you think this grinder can replace a 7" heavy duty type and by your abuse you
              caused the damage? This tool is for light to medium grinding.

Cactus Man
              Actually, I was using a 4.5" diamond blade to score ceramic tile - barely any load on the grinder at all. What I think might have happened is that the seals on the bearing were bad and ceramic dust got into the bearing, wearing out a few of the balls, allowing the rest of them to fall out. The inner and outer races are still in new condition, no marks or scratched at all, meaning the balls were either of much softer material, allowing them to be worn down, or there were defective balls that fractured and fell out.
              Last edited by mcintire2; 10-30-2011, 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

For any of you who might need to replace the bearings on this particular Ridgid Grinder, the bearing numbers are: 608 and 626. I'm sorry that i can't remember which is which, but your local bearing supplier can help you out. Be sure to specify that you want double sealed bearings, to exclude the typical grinding dust. It took me a few hurs of searching to find a bearing engineering guide and get a cross-reference number, based on the ID, OD, load, and RPM. I just finished replacing mine, and the grinder is like new.

Thanks to all who responded - and good luck if you ever need to replace your bearings on the Ridgid R1005 grinder.

Comment

I own this grinder, I have issues with grinder, It was serviced in the past (3 times) (Ball bearing problem). all 3 repairs were made by an authorized ridgid service center. the 2 first repair where paid by me because I needed the tool asap. the third was on warranty. I have no problems with the warranty, but each time it breaks I have wait a few weeks for repair. Is this a common issue on this model? Should I consider buying another model? I really like this model, very great grinder, but it only gives me about 6 month to a year of service before breaking. Another thing that I can add is that it's not a daily use tool, its used occasionally during the week. Right now its broke again. same issue (Ball Bearing that's on the end of the armature). I guess I'll take it to service again. I really wish this could be resolved. With the other ridgid tools I own, Daily use, and never had a problem. Excellent tools!!!

Comment

Just had the same thing happen. I've had this grinder less than six months and the rear motor bearing failed. Been using it for medium duty grinding and cutting.

626 is the Motor Rear Bearing

608 is the Motor Front Bearing and Gearbox Input Bearing (common to skateboard and roller blade wheels)
                    Last edited by goofyjumper; 12-03-2012, 10:27 PM. Reason: Add Bearing Info

Comment

Working...
                    X