X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square hole drill bit

Has anyone seen this? I'm not sure if it is new or not, but recently came across this video.

Pretty interesting. Too bad it wouldn't work in wood.

Re: Square hole drill bit

It doesn't matter if it would work in wood or not, can you imagine the cost...

Comment

They do make one for wood, it is called a mortising bit!

Comment

It is it not that deep in metal one can use a broach, if you have a iron worker one can Punch many of the holes,

I am sure it would be nice ot have one but I bet the cost is high
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Pretty neat, and perhaps it's a "new" technology (it looks new to me anyway). But, when I was going to "night school" (NY's Manpower Development Training Act) to become a tool designer in 1966, our class visited one of the local IBM plants in Endicott, NY; and among the many machinery and automated processes that we got to see, there was a "boring machine" they had that drilled square holes and it did so in many different sizes in metal castings that were at least a couple of inches thick. The particular part that I saw was steel, but most parts in that shop were aluminum alloy and zinc. That's a long time ago, and much of course is forgotten, but that particular machine impressed me enough to inquire about it.

The response was that it was a proprietary process and the machine was custom built. The actual "method" wasn't addressed, but I do recall it took only minutes to complete and the bit would raise and the bed would index to the next position. IBM was pretty "leading edge" when it came to NC machine processes and assembly, and watching these "robot-like" processes was pretty "swift", as we used to say.

I've spent more than 30 years at Ingersoll-Rand (first as a contractor and then as an employee) and there's not been any "square" drilling that I've ever seen applied. There are larger rectangular machining processes which various machines execute, but most always that initial opening is in the cast and the machine processes applied are "finishing" that opening. The thing with I-R was the shear mass that they dealt with and castings could weigh several tons and be as big as trailers. Machining rather large or small has always held some attraction for me.

CWS

Comment

basicly a line drawing shoing how it works

I have seen it in a old book before but never studied it out.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Lol!

Comment

Working...
              X