X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi beats Ridgid again

First the Ryobi Impact wrench, then the Ryobi 18V miter saw, now the Ryobi 18V TOUGHTUNES™ Radio / Charger for $139....

Click image for larger version

Name:	922385cd263ae810d6cf3b0d7cbbd3f0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	15615

Ryobi Power Tools :: 18V TOUGHTUNES

Built-in dual chemistry charger charges all Ryobi™ ONE+™ batteries in 1 hour or less
    Runs on standard AC 120V power or any Ryobi 18V ONE+™ battery
    TOUGHTUNES™ charges all Ryobi 18V ONE+™ batteries in one hour or less
    Digital tuning with station presets for exceptional reception
    Twin speakers and dual bass ports provide dynamic and rich sound quality
    High-impact polymer roll cage for job site durability
    Compatible with iPod, MP3 players and other electronic devices via integrated auxiliary cable
    Internal storage compartment protects devices while playing or charging
    Backlit LCD displays clock, low battery indicator, station preset, and power input
    Convenient on-board cord wrap
    USB charging port for phones and other electronic devices (cable not included)

Re: Ryobi beats Ridgid again

I see one big flaw Its ryobi....

Comment

i put my ipod touch inside my ridgid radio and control everything with the remote.

can you do that with your ryobi?

Comment

Originally posted by ajn917 View Post
        i put my ipod touch inside my ridgid radio and control everything with the remote.

can you do that with your ryobi?
        i think the bigger issue is all the people who bought the new ridgid radio not knowing when the patent was up. They (tti/ridgid) knew full well when patent was going to end. TTI rep said end year/first of year Ridgid and milwaukee will have the chargers

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
          Really? Can it be presumed that you've had some serious problems with Ryobi products?

I've purchased several Ryobi products in the past and of these, the only one that I've found deficient was the RE1802M 3-base router which has a "swelled" motor housing. Every other Ryobi tool that I have owned has served me exceptionally well and I've never had a failure of any kind. My top Ryobi tool is the BT31001 table saw which is simply an outstanding tool, albeit lightweight, but none the less exceptionally featured and quite precise.

Even my Ryobi "1802", in spite of the motor housing problem, has proven to be a very nice plunge router.

By comparison, I have both a Ryobi and Ridgid ROS... and I much prefer the Ridgid because of noise level; but given that, the Ryobi still functions quite well. I also own several of the Ryobi "Tek4" tools and they also work quite nicely.

No offense meant of course, but just wondering what kind of problems you have had with Ryobi?

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
            Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
            Really? Can it be presumed that you've had some serious problems with Ryobi products?

I've purchased several Ryobi products in the past and of these, the only one that I've found deficient was the RE1802M 3-base router which has a "swelled" motor housing. Every other Ryobi tool that I have owned has served me exceptionally well and I've never had a failure of any kind. My top Ryobi tool is the BT31001 table saw which is simply an outstanding tool, albeit lightweight, but none the less exceptionally featured and quite precise.

Even my Ryobi "1802", in spite of the motor housing problem, has proven to be a very nice plunge router.

By comparison, I have both a Ryobi and Ridgid ROS... and I much prefer the Ridgid because of noise level; but given that, the Ryobi still functions quite well. I also own several of the Ryobi "Tek4" tools and they also work quite nicely.

No offense meant of course, but just wondering what kind of problems you have had with Ryobi?

Thanks,

CWS
            Heh Heh Heh..........Chevy vs Ford
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Perhaps. I think it's more that I wonder "what went wrong" with a person's brand experience, when I haven't found those kind of issues myself. That's not implying that someone must be wrong, but as a customer, it does leave wondering if I need to anticipate something in the future.

For example, years ago I bought a Toyota Tercel wagon and a couple of months later I was trippin' down the street one of the local towns and saw four of these in the lot, all smashed to hell. It was a "Holy SH!T" moment and I actually went around the block and came back to that garage to see whether there was some major flaw that was yet to happen to me. Come to find out, three of these cars had been collected from places in both NY and PA and were in the hands of the bodyshop for some MAJOR cannibalization and rebuild, which this garage had a reputation for. In the following 14 years I never had any problems, but when you see or hear something like that, it makes you wonder.

In any case, some people just have an opinion, and it's often based on little... but sometimes based on real experience; just look at the comments that we read about "Ridgid".

So, just a curious response and not one that I'm trying to prompt any argument out of, that's all.

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 11-02-2011, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                Heh Heh Heh..........Chevy vs Ford
                In this case, more like chevy vs buick. LOL

Comment

Very disappointing to see all the Ryobi one+ tools that Ridgid does not offer. Now that Ridgid has an incredible battery, it's even more frustrating to not have a better array of tools to compliment it. My 5 piece Ridgid nicad set is still going strong, but if they offered the heavy duty 1/2" impact wrench, I would buy another combo set in a heartbeat. Ryobi is okay, but Rigid seems to be a step up so why not offer the same tools charge a little more and give the folks what they want? IF I could only organize this group into a Union then we could make demands and force Ridgid.

Comment

I have the Ryobi and I like it. I think the $139 price should be lowered to $99 though. The Ridgid is nice but I do not own any Ridgid cordless tools. If I did though, I would wait until Ridgid had a radio with a charger to buy one. Although I like the Ryobi, I much prefer my Bosch PowerBox as most of my cordless tools are Bosch.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                      In this case, more like chevy vs buick. LOL
                      YES, of course!

But the question is, "What problems have YOU had with Ryobi that leads you to your exclamation?"

Hey, let's face it there is a major price difference and certainly there's a build quality difference. I wouldn't expect a $50 tool to be as reliable as a $180 one. Neither would I expect it to last as long under the same work load or even handle the same work load. But, that doesn't mean that the lower priced item is of lesser "value" or deserves a reputation as "junk". My table saw for example won't take the same rough handling or heavy timber cutting that, say a big cabinet saw would have. But we're talking a world of difference in the price and most likely in the application too. For example, my Ryobi "BT" makes extremely smooth cuts, and on the oak and pine stock (and occasion sheet goods) that I use, it goes through them like "butter". My fence amost "floats" it's so smooth and it anchors at both the front and the back. My rails can be adjusted for great cut capacity, left or right of the blade and with the sliding miter table I have almost 17" of support in front of the blade. And the thing came with a riving knife... all that at a fraction of the bigger saws. Hey, it's definitely not a $1000 cabinet saw but then again it does everything that I ask of it. The "brand" was a good choice.

But again, the question was not whether I love the brand, but what faults you experienced that gave you such a low opinion of it?

CWS
                      Last edited by CWSmith; 11-02-2011, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                        Ryobi beats Ridgid again
                        Apples are in direct competition with oranges?
                        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

>>Apples are in direct competition with oranges? <<

Not so much in terms of the number of units sold. I think that Ryobi and B&D will always sell more drills than Ridgid or DeWalt. I think the competition is for market share of specific markets. For example, I'm a contractor, and I buy a variety of brands of tools. But every time I buy a Ryobi drill or circular saw, that's a drill or circular saw contractor sale that did not go to Ridgid or DeWalt. Ryobi has become a "crossover" brand and I see them on job sites every day. People can make the argument that Ryobi's quality and design "sense" doesn't measure up to Ridgid's, but the two companies clearly do compete with each other. As a contractor, I prove that every time I buy one brand and not the other.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys but I just wanted to point out that Ryobi continues to bring innovation to the market before Ridgid not Ryobi versus Ridgid. Some folks on this Ridgid forum has been waiting for long long time for a Ridgid impact wrench and for a Ridgid Jobsite radio that charges the batteries. I got a few Ryobi powertools and overall they are not as powerful or heavy duty as the professional brands but they are inexpensive and can get the job done. The new Ryobi radio+charger solves the problem of listening to the radio without static while charging the Ryobi batteries.....something I can't do while charging Ridgid batteries

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                              Thanks for the input guys but I just wanted to point out that Ryobi continues to bring innovation to the market before Ridgid not Ryobi versus Ridgid. Some folks on this Ridgid forum has been waiting for long long time for a Ridgid impact wrench and for a Ridgid Jobsite radio that charges the batteries. I got a few Ryobi powertools and overall they are not as powerful or heavy duty as the professional brands but they are inexpensive and can get the job done. The new Ryobi radio+charger solves the problem of listening to the radio without static while charging the Ryobi batteries.....something I can't do while charging Ridgid batteries
                              I have a couple Ryobi tools and lithium batteries and they are fine but as you pointed out not as powerful or heavy duty as the better brands. I have a habit of buying stronger and more heavy duty tools and machines when possible hoping I will get better and longer service over time. I had hoped if Ridgid offered a 1/2" heavy duty impact wrench that it would fall into that category and serve my needs. I'd rather not spend $300 for the DeWalt impact wrench, or Milwaukee, and have another style battery and charger. Right now I have been getting by with a corded model and if pressed I would probably lower my standards and spend $99 for the Ryobi model, while not a brute of a tool at 200ftlbs of torque it would be sufficient. Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X