X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small part expelled with oil change in ridgid generator

like the title says, i was changing the oil in my ridgid 8000 watt generator when a small cylinder fell out. it appears to crimp/clamp around something.

can anyone give me any insight to what this part does?

could losing this part from somewhere inside the motor cause harm to it?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

any information would be helpful and appreciated

Re: small part expelled with oil change in ridgid generator

looks like a roll pin/ tension pin.

is there a parts breakdown to compare it to?

drdeere will know what it was used for and where it goes.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I do not know what it is, but I do know extra parts in the oil is not a good thing, (since it is not mangled) I would think is a plus, it may have just got dropped in assemble, and not fished out, but would be good to Identify it and see if there is a concern or what it may relate to as an internal part, (if it is a wire crimp terminal, could it be part of the low oil shut down? if it has one),

if the unit is new, one could consider tanking it back and trading it for another unit. (parts are not supposed to come out in the oil)
      Last edited by BHD; 11-01-2011, 12:07 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        looks like a roll pin/ tension pin.
        It is.
        And it came out of the camshaft sprocket (the EX40 engine utilizes a chain driven OHC).
        If the unit is less than three years old, the camshaft assembly will be replaced under warranty by Robin America.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

thank you very much for the response.

luckily enough my power was restored late last night and i wont be needing to use the generator anymore.

i should be just under the 3 year mark and hopefully can get it repaired before any more power outages.

Comment

The roll pin acts as a stop for the decompressor's flyweight. You could actually pull the valve cover and re-install the pin in about five minutes if you wanted to avoid a trip to the shop.
            I've attached a picture (sorry about the cell phone's camera quality) that shows where it is.

EDIT: Only do this if you're reasonably sure of your ability. Although it's about as simple as a procedure gets, if you attempt it yourself and end up boogering something up in the process, it will not be corrected under warranty.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Doctordeere; 11-02-2011, 03:52 PM.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
            X