~~~garbage~~~

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~~~garbage~~~

I find it hard to believe a guy can post a (obviously angry) message on a POWER TOOL forum and get attacked because of grammar and spelling. Is there a grammar and spelling forum you guys could complain in instead? Lol. Anyway....will rigid replace my batteries if I have a proper receipt?

Comment

Yes, if it's a warranty issue. No, if it is out of warranty. Yes, if it is out of warranty but is properly registered into the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
        BHD, I think you are the one that is ignorant here. You assume that because someone does not work a blue collar job that they cannot work with tools. I am an English teacher. I'll have you know that I do all of my own repairs on my home, have built over 50 decks in the past ten years, and I am also a pretty good cabinet maker. I don't agree with putting anyone down as pesciwasp has done. However, when you make a general assumption about the masses, your customers, I think that speaks volumes about you. I see that you are a general contractor. You should check around to see who your competition is in the summer time. I'll bet you find a ton of school teachers with tons of talent who are bidding for the same jobs that you are bidding on. That is all that this "bag of rocks has to say!"
        I personally do no think I am making an assumption, I am observing what has taken place in the community I live in. (and if you look you will see I said "SOME" not all)
        I have seen many of a person so proud of there abilities to diagram a sentence or to understand the english language and its grammar, and as a child to be told I was stupid and lazy and was not trying, only later in life to be called by these same persons to come and remodel there kitchens or homes, (it would be interesting to see how some of them would have done with Dyslexia),

I am personally am thankful you have multiple skills, with language and with your hands, I am sure that working with your hands brings great satisfaction, to your being, It pleases me to see people who are talented in many areas,
        my guess is your a good teacher as well,

and I know that at times there are just points of frustration by some to see things not done correctly, (language, writing, or construction skills),

I personally have desired to have better skills in the language arts, but as of yet they don't seem to be taking hold very fast,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          I personally do no think I am making an assumption, I am observing what has taken place in the community I live in. (and if you look you will see I said "SOME" not all)
          I have seen many of a person so proud of there abilities to diagram a sentence or to understand the english language and its grammar, and as a child to be told I was stupid and lazy and was not trying, only later in life to be called by these same persons to come and remodel there kitchens or homes, (it would be interesting to see how some of them would have done with Dyslexia),

I am personally am thankful you have multiple skills, with language and with your hands, I am sure that working with your hands brings great satisfaction, to your being, It pleases me to see people who are talented in many areas,
          my guess is your a good teacher as well,

and I know that at times there are just points of frustration by some to see things not done correctly, (language, writing, or construction skills),

I personally have desired to have better skills in the language arts, but as of yet they don't seem to be taking hold very fast,
          " Semper fi fellow DYSLEXICS"
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Generally speaking, I do not have a problem with people's spelling, as I make more than my share of mistakes. Thankfully, as a professional technical writer and illustrator, I've been priviledged to have the editing skills of others. Even then, an occasional mistake used to get by. I'm not sure if the forum offers any form of "spelling check"; if so, I haven't found it. I do have a tendency to drop letters though as my left hand fingers are mostly numb, do to a neck injury. I also have a great tendency to just let my fingers run-out the words that are passing through my head and thus too often make mistakes in both spelling and word usage. (It pays to reread and edit, but this IS a web forum and not such a formal documentation which might require better precision.)

So, many of us have a few problems and I prefer not to "throw stones". But that said, there is a limit to tolerance and I'm often left thinking whether one's limitations with thier writing skills is more a matter of "laziness". I'm not a college-educated person, having only my "high-school" degree and I am the son of parents who didn't have that. But it does come to a point where one simply learns to do better. Whether it's having manners, having a since of civility and social grace, or writing a simple letter... there is always room for improvement with any of us.

Anger perhaps is one's greatest problem and while there may be "reason", it is also necessary to know how to express it. Ignorance in one's communications skills (writing and spelling, talking and horrible grammer) often gets in the way of conveying a person's point... and it is only amplified when those lack of skills are put down with angry thought.

I think as writers, we need to use a little extra care in order to make our points understood; and as readers, I think we need to look past the shortcomings in the broken sentences and mispelled words in order to find the frustration and merits of the writer's complaint. "Haste makes waste"... both for the writer and for the reader. Lord knows that I have too often been guilty on both sides!

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 11-27-2011, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Not to shake anyone up..but all computers today have "spell-checker"
              Don't you proof read what you write to ensure it makes sense prior to posting????

Remember what you do is a reflection of you!
              I take pride in the way I look, properly speaking, writing, using a dictionary when needed etc.
              I try my best to always do it correctly...and yes I mess up too!

What you do on the internet is forever and do you want your errors out there forever?

Now to be fair not everyone is a PHD or a master builder or plumber....
              but being able to read and write is important without those skills how can you
              read the small print instructions on a spray paint can? or properly write up a contract!

If I have someone present me with a sloppy contract with spelling errors etc..I'll walk away because
              if they won't take the time to proofread and correct the contract how will I know they will do the
              work properly???

Then there are those that misspell just for spite and to aggravate and think it's cute.

Please note I'm not complaining about sentence structure, grammar or use of paragraphs,
              just about those that don't even take the time to spell check and proof read!

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                Not to shake anyone up..but all computers today have "spell-checker"

Where?

I do have a "spell check" (and grammer too) on my MS Word and on my WordPerfect... but I use neither of these when on the Ridgid (or other) forums. Does this forum have a "spell check" that I'm not aware of? Would love it if that was the case as I do find it a bit embarrassing when I find I've made a mistake.

"Computers" generally do NOT have... but most "writing" software does, I just don't see it here... so please feel free to educate me, really ; and I mean that with all due respect.

CWS

Comment

CWS, I downloaded the Google Toolbar and they have one there and it works for this and other BB's.
                  ================================================== ====
                  All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I have always considered CWSmith the best writer on this forum. Yet, even he can make a mistake that a spell checker would not catch. Since vs. sense so similar yet so different.

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                    So, many of us have a few problems and I prefer not to "throw stones". But that said, there is a limit to tolerance and I'm often left thinking whether one's limitations with thier writing skills is more a matter of "laziness". I'm not a college-educated person, having only my "high-school" degree and I am the son of parents who didn't have that. But it does come to a point where one simply learns to do better. Whether it's having manners, having a since of civility and social grace, or writing a simple letter... there is always room for improvement with any of us.
                    CWS
                    I have iSpell installed and must use it sense I'm a poor speller. I don't think that I'm lazy or stupid, just never successfully learned how to spell. I still remember the formulas for linear regression or an analysis of variance even though I haven't used the formula in 20 years, but I have no doubt that I will have several misspellings in this post before I run spell check. I do think lack of capitalization or not using periods is a bit lazy and irritating.

Comment

CJH,

I very much appreciate your flattering remark... especially since it was followed by pointing out my error!

In all honesty, I'm not so sure about my writing/spelling skills except that I am confident in my ability to communicate an idea or instructions. My "advantage" has always been to realize that I'm rarely the most knowledgeable one at the table and to try to communicate in writing, the way one talks. I have never appreciated anyone who feels the need to use words fancier than the reader might be accustomed to. (One must always "speak the other guys language!") Write the way one talks and you'll most always get the idea across. But talking is a lot easier than spelling. I have found embarrassing moments when even my talking was wrong, as my Mother (bless her soul) only had a second grade "southern" education and she could butcher more words than not. As one leaves the house, they carry their parents language with them, including all the flaws.

So, I've learned to improve on my mistakes and embarrassments. It has always been something of a contest within myself. But I've also come to know that poor spelling and grammer doesn't necessarily make a person stupid, it just makes them uneducated in that particular way.

There's all kinds of errors to be made with the English language like their and there and even they're. Man, I do a lot of those and re-reading, though helpful, doesn't always pick these things out; and certainly the spell checker isn't going to help much either.

But, it is the anger thing that I see on the forum, that get's combined with very poor spelling, little punctuation, and terrible sentence structure. Surely the guy doesn't talk like that (or at least I would hope NOT)... so why write like that?

There is a particular forum member who I believe is very well thought of (I look at him that way) and yet his spelling was terrible when he first got on. He apologized for it in his introduction, and at the time I remember replying that it was a "forum" and we would mostly just appreciate his participation. I think he has greatly improved and I always appreciate his commentary and participation. Like "presents"... it's the thought that counts and if a person can get that across, then I think we can appreciate the man behind the words, mispelled or not.

Again, thanks for the very kind remarks... and also my "error".

Badger Dave,

Thanks very much, I will download the Google desktop and try to improve. It's very much appreciated.

CWS
                      Last edited by CWSmith; 11-27-2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

It really doesn't bother me to see bad grammar, as long as I get the gist of what someone is trying to say. But I have to say, it gets on my nerves when I see people calling others out for bad grammar. I'm willing to bet a lot of people here barely know how to turn a computer on, let alone worry about using proper grammar.

Back on topic...

I would never buy any Ridgid cordless power tools or corded tools, as I'm very partial to Milwaukee. Nothing against Ridgid as they have their rightful place (1st) with Plumbing and Drain cleaning tools. Milwaukee has been extremely good to me, and I'm a very loyal customer to them when it comes to power tools.
                        Last edited by Flux; 11-27-2011, 08:40 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                          It really doesn't bother me to see bad grammar, as long as I get the gist of what someone is trying to say. But I have to say, it gets on my nerves when I see people calling others out for bad grammar. I'm willing to bet a lot of people here barely know how to turn a computer on, let along worrying about proper grammar.

Back on topic...

I would never buy any Ridgid cordless power tools or corded tools, as I'm very partial to Milwaukee. Nothing against Ridgid as they have their rightful place (1st) with Plumbing and Drain cleaning tools. Milwaukee has been extremely good to me, and I'm a very loyal customer to them when it comes to power tools.

Or is it jist ? Agree %100 or is it 100% ..My first choice for plumbing tools is always ridgid.Cordless I still gotta go with the yellow guys..If I deviate I always end up regretting it
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Right on Flux I bought my last Ridgid cordless hammer drill when I started my company in 2010 and it already has chuck problems I tried but this is the 3rd drill my old boss gave us drills that were 20 to 25 years old and worked great even a old sawzall and all were corded milwaukee . I do have two ridgid sawzalls the standard size and the one handed model and have yet to have a problem and maybe its just because cordless is not as good quality as corded just worried about buying another ridgid drill?

Comment

Flux, I'll give credit to the red tools, but I own A LOT of orange power tools. They all have been good to me with just a couple exceptions, and of those, they have been taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                                Right on Flux I bought my last Ridgid cordless hammer drill when I started my company in 2010 and it already has chuck problems I tried but this is the 3rd drill my old boss gave us drills that were 20 to 25 years old and worked great even a old sawzall and all were corded milwaukee . I do have two ridgid sawzalls the standard size and the one handed model and have yet to have a problem and maybe its just because cordless is not as good quality as corded just worried about buying another ridgid drill?
                                We have some old milwaukee sawzall's (at least 15+ years) in our shop for "just in case" moments, and they still run strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X