Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~~~garbage~~~

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
    Flux, I'll give credit to the red tools, but I own A LOT of orange power tools. They all have been good to me with just a couple exceptions, and of those, they have been taken care of.
    Growing up in the trade, it was always Milwaukee for power tools, and Ridgid for everything else Plumbing wise that was beaten into my head. My Ridgid tubing cutter is easily 10 years old, and still haven't had to replace the cutting wheel yet.

But,I never even knew Ridgid made some of these power tools, until a few years ago.

Comment

I don't take care of tools. I buy tools that will take care of me.

I do not own a cordless tool. My cords don't die, never fail to take a charge, are not gutless, and cost LOTS less than replacement batteries.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I really like the convenience of the cordless tools, at one time I said the same thing as you did Ace,

but It seems I just keep finding the cordless worth the extra cost, and not dragging cords, I still drag out the cords for some things, but on small little jobs I love the cordless, and when the job is away from the outlets, I have purposely keep only one brand of tool and one battery type, that will fit all and only needs one charger, and I think the key is having more than two batteries and chargers, so you have a good charged battery at all times, also have a auto charger unit.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I'll go along with those thoughts on the "corded" vs "cordless" tools. If you look back four or more years ago, you'll find my "argument" against the costlyness of "cordless". But, a couple of hot Christmas deals landed me a few Ridgid cordless combos and I soon found their convenience to greatly change my mind. In these more recent years, I just automatically reach for the cordless tools... and except for my little Ryobi Tek4 screwdriver, all are Ridgid with my 9.6 V pivot screwdriver being a favorite tool.

I don't have a lot of demand, as retirement household duties and woodworking hobby doesn't require nearly the tasks that you guys in the trades have to face every day. So my 14.4 drill gets the brunt of the drilling tasks. I don't have much use for the 14.4 V impact wrench though, as it's just too powerful for most of my present needs. I do have an 18 V Ridgid Hammer Drill and the 18 V 6-1/2-inch circular saw. The latter is perfect for cutting down those sheet goods to facilitate moving the smaller pieces into the basement shop for final cut on the table saw.

The only cordless tools that I think I made a mistake on choosing was the 12 V Li-Ion Ridgid stuff. The little compact drill just doesn't have the strength it should have and I find my 9.4 V pivot driver provides much better torque and longevity. Likewise the 12 V Job Max has proven to be a bit of a disappointment, the 12 V Li-Ions just don't have enough power to drive it and unless I have all three of my 12 V compact batteries freshly charged they simply won't get me through even a half-hour's work. Very disappointing considering the the close-to-$300 that I have tied up in these two tools.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
            Ps: from my experience with the Jacobs brand chuck that is on most cordless tools, its always the chucks fault it seems to those who complain... But from my own personal experience, its the idiot user that doesn't check to see if the jaws are locked onto the "corners" or the flat spot of hex shaft bits. When it falls out, its always because it was locked on the corners... My fault!
            I have had bad luck with the X3 series batteries, but I do not sweat it, I stop by my tool repair shop on the way to work and get a new one in the mail in 6 weeks or so. I buy used kits on Craigslist and Ebay with bad less than 3 year old batteries, and warranty out the bad ones. I have bought brand new off of the shelf X3 batteries to have them die in 3 cycles, and others die randomly at about a year old. I have only had one 18V tool outright die on me, the trigger went bad on a 1/2" drill from mixing too much drywall mud and thinset. The older reciprocating and circular saws are underpowered, I bought an older kit to get a saw with a blade on the left side for us normal right handers, I put a new blade on it, cut a few 2x4's with it, took the blade off and put it on my leftie X3 saw and never touched that X2? saw again. I also was sorely disapointed with my 14.4 impact driver and its thirst for killing batteries. It was my bad for waiting too long to get it fixed, and never did register for the LLSA. A 1/4 sheet sander and the corded hammer drill I also had issues with (the mounting points for the sand paper are plastic and worn away spitting out the paper, and a bad trigger right out of the box) but I have had HUGE sucsess otherwise, I would say 90% satisfaction.
            Last edited by masterbeavis; 11-29-2011, 03:08 AM.
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Simply put you can't trip over a battery operated tool!

I also was a corded tool guy only!

As a weekend warrior type tool user I always figured the battery
              will be dead at the exact time I need to use the tool!

Now I have changed my tune!

BUT....I still have corded tools and they are still selected for specific tasks.

If I'm cutting a number of 2x8s or larger and I can't access the table saw I go to my
              Porter cable corded saw! On the other hand if all I require is only one board cut I'll
              typically grab my 18V Ridgid circular saw.

If I have a lot of pocket holes to drill ..there is nothing better than my Dewalt 3/8 corded drill.
              If I only need one or two holes I'll grab my 18V Ridgid hammer/drill.

Out of all my battery powered tools the one I use the most is the Ridgid 18V impact driver.
              I actually have two of them..the first generation 18V impact driver that was actually an
              advertising promotion give away. The other one is the 18/24V max select impact driver with the first LED.....

I appreciated the convenience of the battery powered tool. I also appreciated the continuous power of a
              corded tool.. Yeah! I have also tripped over the cord.

That's another thing really nice about battery powered tools ..you can bring the tool to the work
              While with a corded tool you need to bring the work to the tool ...How many times
              was your extension cord just a bit short?

So at this end I have both a cache of Ridgid 18V tools, A Milwaukee 0490-20 4V screwdriver, and a
              myriad of corded power tools both stationary, semi-stationary, and portable.

I always try to use the right tool for the job.

Cactus Man
              Last edited by cactusman; 11-29-2011, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                Simply put you can't trip over a battery operated tool!

I also was a cored tool guy only!

Cactus Man
                That must have been painful..

(sorry, couldn't resist, considering the topic) all in good fun!

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  CJH,

I very much appreciate your flattering remark... especially since it was followed by pointing out my error!

In all honesty, I'm not so sure about my writing/spelling skills except that I am confident in my ability to communicate an idea or instructions. My "advantage" has always been to realize that I'm rarely the most knowledgeable one at the table and to try to communicate in writing, the way one talks. I have never appreciated anyone who feels the need to use words fancier than the reader might be accustomed to. (One must always "speak the other guys language!") Write the way one talks and you'll most always get the idea across. But talking is a lot easier than spelling. I have found embarrassing moments when even my talking was wrong, as my Mother (bless her soul) only had a second grade "southern" education and she could butcher more words than not. As one leaves the house, they carry their parents language with them, including all the flaws.

So, I've learned to improve on my mistakes and embarrassments. It has always been something of a contest within myself. But I've also come to know that poor spelling and grammer doesn't necessarily make a person stupid, it just makes them uneducated in that particular way.

There's all kinds of errors to be made with the English language like their and there and even they're. Man, I do a lot of those and re-reading, though helpful, doesn't always pick these things out; and certainly the spell checker isn't going to help much either.

But, it is the anger thing that I see on the forum, that get's combined with very poor spelling, little punctuation, and terrible sentence structure. Surely the guy doesn't talk like that (or at least I would hope NOT)... so why write like that?

There is a particular forum member who I believe is very well thought of (I look at him that way) and yet his spelling was terrible when he first got on. He apologized for it in his introduction, and at the time I remember replying that it was a "forum" and we would mostly just appreciate his participation. I think he has greatly improved and I always appreciate his commentary and participation. Like "presents"... it's the thought that counts and if a person can get that across, then I think we can appreciate the man behind the words, mispelled or not.

Again, thanks for the very kind remarks... and also my "error".

Badger Dave,

Thanks very much, I will download the Google desktop and try to improve. It's very much appreciated.

CWS
                  I'm glad you received (i before e except after c) my post in the way I intended: if the best writer on the forum makes a mistake, why should we be overly judgmental of others.

Yes, there is some anger venting on this forum (see original post) that is often associated with new members and writing that has no semblance to the English language. I generally discount these posts. But if the member actually wrote (at least somewhat) effectively I would be more inclined to help. I hope it isn't a reflection of our educational system and fear it is a new attitude to writing and politeness generated by the anonymity of the internet.

On a different subject in this thread, I jumped on the cordless power tool bandwagon early. I had a WEN drill and jig saw. They were awful, but handy. I can't remember the last time I needed my Skilsaw or my corded drill.

Comment

How are you paying my way? When did you officially become a contractor? Was it when you became licensed? Was it when you did some side work for a few people? I'm just curious. You make the assumption that I'm a hack and I'm "stealing" your work. I am a licensed, and insured, contractor who happens to only do the work 3 months out of the year. I never said I was a more talented contractor than BHD, but then, I've never met him or seen his work. It would be foolish to make assumptions like you have done about me. You know, the first three letters in ASSume? That seems to pretty much sum it up.

Comment

I appreciate your compliments. Please know that I was, in no way, attacking your grammar skills. This is a tool forum, not my classroom. As for those that put you down or said you were stupid, that is just foolish. Any teacher that says those things should be fired on the spot. If you had to do work on their houses, that only made them look like the fool. For that, I say, "Good for you." If I've caused any arguments or ill will on this forum, I offer my apologies.

Comment

OK Guys here goes for an Aussie opinion.
                        Power tools- I dont own ridgid power tools other than the seesnake & DVD pak. Battery - absolute BS. I now suspect it comes from the Milwaukie factory which is absolute c-ap.
                        Now I cant remember if it has been mentioned here but we are all different. We all have different ideas on how to treat tools. Ridgid hand tools, havent got the whole market covered but that damn close got to say no one holds a candle to them. There are a few minor exceptions and they could improve in some minor areas, stop using Chinese components for one. However if they dont break we wont buy replacements will we. But if you give us good tools, generally we dont argue with price becasue we KNOW they wont fail in the middle of our tasks(like we all have experienced from cheaper tools havent we ).
                        Now the never ending topic of DIY.
                        I know this is harsh but the playing field is never level. As legitimate contractors we must have Licenses and Insurances. tickets for this that and everything in between. We make a mistake, we swing from the highest tree with ambulance chasing lawyers close behind- SUE GRAB and RUN or Slugs and Grubs as I like to call the Legal Fraternity. Now if my neighbor tries to save cash and do it herself, not even a slap on the wrist becasue the Pathetic Judges havent got backbones to uphold the laws which govern us and treat Mr or Mrs smith, Brown or White or .... the same way. Then comes the Insurance parasites. We make a mistake, BINGO its payday for these mongrels. Up go our premiums. Now down here we are trying to get the regulators to do their job too. After all they are public servants(god I love that term even though I call them THEIVES becasue they take money every week and dont do their job earning that money). So we reckon if the Regulators and the Insurance Companies enforced their policies and withdrew insurance on the DIY and HACKS, wow oh wow, what would we have. Well we would most likely have a skill shortage but thenagain we would be able to plan on training our Young to the talents we all have and want to pass on but at present cant afford to becasue DIY is destroying our business. So Mr Teacher we are thinking that we should come to your school and take the kids out onto the oval and teach them out there. So what use will you be Mr Teacher, we will be taking away your job and will of course be looking at the Principal for payment of our time.
                        Now this sounds extreme I know but that is the short and simple. I think someone who has a go for them selves is good, builds confidence and tradesmen are not always there when we are needed. However masquerading as a tradesman is deceiptful to say the least. We have Handymen who think they are great, save lots of money but the poor HO knows no better. Then again we have the smart-arse know all HO who cant wait to rub our noses in his savings. We get the last laugh becasue we know just how far the HO has been reamed.

Tools - always a good topic to see who favours what.

sorry for boring you with my Downunder rant.

Merry Christmas to one and all

Comment

I'm curious the logic on why a consumer who buys a Ridgid product is required to register the product? It's not like the product is a knock off whcih cannot be identified. I feel the requirements for warranty support are just meant to provide a loop hole so that manufacturers can get out of support a product defect. Really - if you own a Ridgid product - and they have a current support policy of lifetime replacement of batteries for example - then why are you required to register?

Just curious if someone can share the logic or rationale.

Comment

Originally posted by bketchy View Post
                            I'm curious the logic on why a consumer who buys a Ridgid product is required to register the product? It's not like the product is a knock off whcih cannot be identified. I feel the requirements for warranty support are just meant to provide a loop hole so that manufacturers can get out of support a product defect. Really - if you own a Ridgid product - and they have a current support policy of lifetime replacement of batteries for example - then why are you required to register?

I think its mainly to keep people from trying to warranty tools bought online or at garage sales. The warranty is only valid for the original purchaser. But, what's dumb is all you should need is a receipt in my opinion. And if they want the registration, why not have the dashboard like they do, but once the tool is entered, that serial number is now yours, and can never be re-registered anyway, so the box upc IMHO is a waste of time and resources. Lastly, the battery warranty is flawed, and I personally think that is the reason Ridgid has become more strict on repair claims... Their losing their A$$ warrantying out so many batteries. They should have covered the batteries for 3 years, after that they should have worked out a better deal with home depot. Bring in a dead Ridgid battery, and they take it on trade for a new battery at 50% off, or possibly have "reconditioned" batteries for a deep discount. I would rather I could go in, drop of my dead Ridgid battery at a local store and pay half price for a newer, better battery than go through the hoops to warranty out the battery... Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by bketchy View Post

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

First off, "registration" is NOT required for the warranty! (I have no idea why so many people get this so confused.) The "Warranty" is for three years regardless of whether you register it or not. All that is required to get warranty service during that time is your proof of purchase, ie.: Your receipt!

However, the Limited Lifetime Service AGREEMENT (LLSA) does require that the registration parameters be met. Simply put: It is an agreement between the customer and the Ridgid-branded TTI product manufacturer that in exchange for your registration, they will provide a lifetiime of service, which includes repair and replacement of most (but not all) parts and among those parts will be batteries and chargers (which are notorious on most brands for failure).

So, understand that registration is not a requirement for warranty... only for agreeing to register and in response they will provide the LLSA!

But, I do think Alphacowboy has a good point; to me anyway, it just seems like promising to replace batteries for life is an open-ended path to financial loss for TTI on this deal... and it provides some level of frustration and confusion to the purchaser. Perhaps somewhere in the future, TTI will rethink this whole thing; but I would imagine that when it does, there will be one heck of a lot of complaining about that.

BTW, many companies have great use of customer information and sometimes will take promotional step to get the customer to provide that information. While I can't speak to anything outside my own experiences, let me just say that such info is helpful in sales planning, support logistics, and general market/product trends. It also asists to some extent in tracking losses and general demographic challenges.

CWS
                              Last edited by CWSmith; 12-04-2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X