X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~~~garbage~~~

ridgid are the absolute worst drills/screw guns ive ever used the chucks dont stay tight nothings more aggervating then droping a 50$ bit down a never ending hole because your drill felt like it, the lithium batters last 3months tops im a professional self employed electrician and rely on my tools to make a living, i bought many ridgid tools rangeing from compressors and electric trim nailors to battery saws and drills. allllllways under the impression that i was covered by the lifetime warranty they place so prominetly on there boxes. welll come to find out you have 90 days to send them some certificate and your recipt or guess what your S.O.L (**** outta luck). i cant wait to get to the shop and take a picture of the pile of garbage (used to be tools) that i bought from you.

when alls said and done these tools would be great for an average home owner, some1 who uses there drills once a week and treats them like they are fine china, but for the professional aspect never agian will i waste my money on another piec of ridgid gaarbage, the most dissapointing thing is the batterys 2 weeklifespan. you dont know how many time ive resorted to using a milwakee right angle drill to do something very vwery simple because out of the blue one of my trusty ridgid batterys decided not to charge.

im going back to milwakee, ridgid is garbage.

Re: ~~~garbage~~~

Originally posted by Antmotoman View Post
    ridgid are the absolute worst drills/screw guns ive ever used the chucks dont stay tight nothings more aggervating then droping a 50$ bit down a never ending hole because your drill felt like it, the lithium batters last 3months tops im a professional self employed electrician and rely on my tools to make a living, i bought many ridgid tools rangeing from compressors and electric trim nailors to battery saws and drills. allllllways under the impression that i was covered by the lifetime warranty they place so prominetly on there boxes. welll come to find out you have 90 days to send them some certificate and your recipt or guess what your S.O.L (**** outta luck). i cant wait to get to the shop and take a picture of the pile of garbage (used to be tools) that i bought from you.

when alls said and done these tools would be great for an average home owner, some1 who uses there drills once a week and treats them like they are fine china, but for the professional aspect never agian will i waste my money on another piec of ridgid gaarbage, the most dissapointing thing is the batterys 2 weeklifespan. you dont know how many time ive resorted to using a milwakee right angle drill to do something very vwery simple because out of the blue one of my trusty ridgid batterys decided not to charge.

im going back to milwakee, ridgid is garbage.
    i would reply and defend but your spelling, grammar, and ignorance tell its own story.

Comment

It sure would be nice if some of these first time posters/ranters did a little research and at least sorta kinda knew what they were talking about before posting.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
        i would reply and defend but your spelling, grammar, and ignorance tell its own story.
        Language and writing Skills have little to do with one ability to work with one hands or there intelligence,

Answer me why most english school teachers and those with wonderful language abilities hire people to fix and repair there cars and buildings, If there so wonderfully endowed with the correct brain functions, and In my experience many with good language abilities usually are about as smart as a bag of rocks when it comes to hands on things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not to disappoint you but Milwaukee tools are made by the same corporation, that Ridgid tools are made by,

Are Rigid and Ryobi Tool made by the same company? Who?

TTI (Techtronic Industries) manufactures Ryobi and Rigid tools, also Milwaukee Tools.

From their website:

We believe powerful brands are performance- trusted. End users trust the products to perform; to work. Brand names like Milwaukee®, AEG®, Ryobi®, Stiletto®, Homelite®, Hoover®, Dirt Devil ®,Vax, are destination brands possessing the equity and the power to draw end users into retailers in multiple markets.
        the RIdgid power tools are made under contract by them, the plumbing tools are a different division. and Vacuums to my under standing.
        Last edited by BHD; 11-04-2011, 11:09 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

To the original poster, let me know what shipping is from you to 55044. I'll pay the shipping if you would so kindly package up those "junk" Ridgid tools and ship them to me. Gladly add them to my huge collection of these "junk" tools.

Thanks.

Ps: from my experience with the Jacobs brand chuck that is on most cordless tools, its always the chucks fault it seems to those who complain... But from my own personal experience, its the idiot user that doesn't check to see if the jaws are locked onto the "corners" or the flat spot of hex shaft bits. When it falls out, its always because it was locked on the corners... My fault!

Comment

I have not owned a Ridgid cordless drill yet but I do own several other Ridgid tools and I have found them to be a good solid professional brand of power tools. That's a shame you had bad luck with your drill, I wonder if it was just a problematic one and a replacement might be of good enough quality to change your opinion. Anyway, I also dislike paying for a tool and having it not meet my expectations. Good luck with your problem.

Comment

I have had problems on the chucks that came on Dewalt as well, and even had to replace them, some times you just get a poor one, and I also was not tightening it correctly I found out later, run it up tight and give it an extra twist and normally it will click once or twice before it is tight,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

At least Ridgid provides a place to vent your frustrations. Did you get your money's worth?

Honestly, I don't know of any manufacturer that is 100% error free. It is also the responsibility of the purchaser to look at your paperwork and submit any papers required for warranties of a product. That statement is true for most manufacturers. It sucks to loose tools no matter how much they cost and for a tool to fail in the middle of a job can really affect the whole day. Good luck with your next run of tools and those waranties.

Comment

[QUOTE=BHD;364152]Language and writing Skills have little to do with one ability to work with one hands or there intelligence,

the point i was trying to make was he wasn't intelligent enough to read about the service agreement and the requirements to qualify for it, it just happened to go hand in hand with the other ignorance. I hate people who always blame every one else for everything!

Comment

Still no response, to bad, was looking forward to some more "junk" Ridgid tools to clutter up my garage... LOL!

Comment

I must be using my Ridgid tools and other brand tools ALL WRONG!

I have the entire 18v Ridgid set. During the past 6+ years I've had two Ni-Cad batteries
                      fail and although they were registered with the LSA program I opted to move into the
                      Lithium-Ion battery systems.

I did mess up a few bits until I realized impact drivers do not play well with CHEAP
                      soft bits. You must use quality bits designed for impact drivers...So, instead of buggering a
                      bit I have broken the heads off a screw or two...[damn tool just too powerful!!!....
                      or maybe I was too aggressive? nope it's the tool's fault!!]

My orbital sanders do use up sandpaper..must be the motor causing way too much friction as I thought
                      sand paper should last for years!
                      I use a stiff bristle brush to clean the Velcro base before applying a new sandpaper thus ensuring the sandpaper
                      grips and stays on. Also by keeping the sanding base clean I have them last a very long time!!!!

So I thought of why my tools don't break/fail....

1. I always use the right tool for the task at hand! A 1/4" battery drill is not designed to mix
                      paint like a 1/2" heavy duty drill is!

2. I always clean my tools after use. Thus dust will not destroy the innards.

3. I always use the proper accessories..not always by the specific tool manufacturer
                      but always high quality and designed to work with the specific tool.

4. All my drill bits are sharp! All my saw blades are sharp! All my driving bits are not worn!

5. I always read the manual of a new tool...Well I skip the Spanish crap and I usually cut
                      those pages out to save space in my notebooks. I also skip the 10 safety/lawyer written pages
                      as I know not to use improper extension cords or use the tool while in the shower with the water running!

I do however, read the tool specifications to understand what the tool is capable of doing and its limitations.
                      I also read the pages discussing usage, storage, cleaning, etc. prior to operating the the tool the first time!

6. After the first 5-7 days of ownership of a new tool ensuring it does not have out of the box defects
                      or premature failure, I fill out the appropriate registration forms make copies of the receipts UPC
                      code etc and them mail it all off to the manufacturer registered mail signature for receipt required.

My Ridgid belt sander has eaten sanding belts!..Well you buy cheap belts and as the belt heats up
                      [friction you know] the glue seam fails...or hit a nick in the wood that's sharp the belt may tear...
                      Damn sander it's Ridgid's fault that happens huh!

My Ridgid belt and spindle sander is also an awful tool..as it makes so much saw dust!
                      and the sanding spindles clog up with that damn wood debris!
                      I know it's limitations as this tool does not really have a strong motor 3/8 hp!
                      So if you force your work or exceed the tool's design usage ..YEP! it's gonna fail!!!

I recently was very angry with some aluminum bar clamps that the nylon ends broke!
                      I could not find the manufacturer and did locate the patent number...I bought these around
                      1993 and what the hell they fail after 18 years??!! so I did have to bite the bullet and purchase new
                      replacement clamps as there were no repair parts available! Must be the manufacturer's fault!

Let's see the patent was sold, the company that purchased the patent went bankrupt, another company
                      purchased that company's assets and they too were purchased by another company etc. since these are made
                      in Taiwan repair parts do not exist! What a crap product lasting 18 years and I can't get parts!

So in summary.....

Many people even with advanced degrees have no idea the difference between a torx, pozi-drive, reed & price, Robertson,
                      square drive, #1 and #2 Phillips, screw driver bit and screw!
                      Most folks never had the opportunity to learn how to use tools properly, safely, etc.
                      Many folks have no clue what the proper tool for their task at hand is...or how to use them!

Yet they may be engineers, red-necks, PHD professors, etc and they become very irritated when a tools fails
                      do to abuse and then they get angrier when they are told since they did not register their tool properly
                      they have lost any help from the warranty or manufacturer.

It's folks like that that has made the gas powered lawn mower manufacturer place a large red decal
                      on the mower deck that states "DO NOT PUT HANDS UNDER THE DECK WITH THE MOWER RUNNING"

Not everyone should be allowed to play with hand or power tools..it's for your own good!
                      Just because you saw that guy do it in 24 minutes on TV does not mean you have the ability to
                      follow suit!!!!

I do have all my ten fingers and they are original length none are shortened
                      due to power tool abuse!!!!!

Cactus Man
                      Last edited by cactusman; 11-07-2011, 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

BHD, I think you are the one that is ignorant here. You assume that because someone does not work a blue collar job that they cannot work with tools. I am an English teacher. I'll have you know that I do all of my own repairs on my home, have built over 50 decks in the past ten years, and I am also a pretty good cabinet maker. I don't agree with putting anyone down as pesciwasp has done. However, when you make a general assumption about the masses, your customers, I think that speaks volumes about you. I see that you are a general contractor. You should check around to see who your competition is in the summer time. I'll bet you find a ton of school teachers with tons of talent who are bidding for the same jobs that you are bidding on. That is all that this "bag of rocks has to say!"

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
                          BHD, I think you are the one that is ignorant here. You assume that because someone does not work a blue collar job that they cannot work with tools. I am an English teacher. I'll have you know that I do all of my own repairs on my home, have built over 50 decks in the past ten years, and I am also a pretty good cabinet maker. I don't agree with putting anyone down as pesciwasp has done. However, when you make a general assumption about the masses, your customers, I think that speaks volumes about you. I see that you are a general contractor. You should check around to see who your competition is in the summer time. I'll bet you find a ton of school teachers with tons of talent who are bidding for the same jobs that you are bidding on. That is all that this "bag of rocks has to say!"
                          So far I have 50 years in the trades. After reading BHD'S post for many Years ,I have come to the conclusion that He has the most Multiple talents on this forum. From animal husbandry, to welding,elec. carpentry,plumbing. I doubt You could carry His Tote Bag. Us contractors are paying Your way to steal our work. TAKE A HIKE JACK
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            So far I have 50 years in the trades. After reading BHD'S post for many Years ,I have come to the conclusion that He has the most Multiple talents on this forum. From animal husbandry, to welding,elec. carpentry,plumbing. I doubt You could carry His Tote Bag. Us contractors are paying Your way to steal our work. TAKE A HIKE JACK

Seriously? I gotta say, I'm with Brownie on this one. I'm not saying that everyone in the trades feels this way, but there are definitely a lot of people out there who think that if you don't do it for a living, you don't know what you're doing. I don't do work for money (and from toolaholic's post, I think that's what set him off) but I have plenty of experience in woodworking as a hobby, building decks, you name it. I grew up in a family that believed you don't pay someone to do something that you're capable of doing yourself. As an adult, I learned that most projects could be tackled by doing research ahead of time, making sure you understand what's involved, etc., then just going at it.

The statement that "Us contractors are paying your way to steal our work" is just stupid. If you lose out on a job, do you feel better if another contractor got it instead of someone else? I seriously doubt it. It sounds like you're looking to get into a pissing match with someone who was trying to make the point that someoone's talent shouldn't be dismissed by what they do for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                              I have had problems on the chucks that came on Dewalt as well, and even had to replace them, some times you just get a poor one, and I also was not tightening it correctly I found out later, run it up tight and give it an extra twist and normally it will click once or twice before it is tight,
                              guy at depot showed me how to tighten the chuck on the ridgid hammer drill, dewalt too i think: tighten clockwise then one click counter clockwise. Thats how i do it now.

Comment

Working...
                              X