Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What is this thickness planer R4331? it is on HD site but not on ridgid site Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this thickness planer R4331? it is on HD site but not on ridgid site

Hi,

I was browsing homedepot.ca and noticed planer R4331 with picturs and description of 4330. I do not see R4331 on ridgid site. But found this Eight New Tools and a Combo Pack - Tools - American Woodworker.

Anybody knows anything about this model?

Thank You

Re: What is this thickness planer R4331? it is on HD site but not on ridgid site

Well historically, this web site seems to trail the product release stuff. I know it's been an occasional complaint of some of the forum members, that we are the last to know. Too bad, but there does seem to be a bit of a "disconnect" between product announcements to the media and the official web site.

But to answer your question, at least in my lonely opinion, the artical mentions, "The Sure-Cut™ Carriage Lock minimizes snipe at the end of work pieces". I am guessing that they are talking about what I know as a cutter head lock, which was a key feature of the old TP1300. When that model was upgraded to the 3-cutter head of the new R4330 model, the cutter head lock was dropped.

There has been a few posts regarding movement of the cutter head on the R4330 during operation and though not really "widespread", it apparently happens enough to make for a few posts regarding this concern.

So, I would say that the new model announcement of the R4331 tells me that some modifications have been made and perhaps the "cutter head lock" or what may now be called the "The Sure-Cut™ Carriage Lock" has been newly incorporated in the design.... however, I'm not exactly sure how this "minimizes snipe at the end of work pieces", so perhaps I'm just a bit confused by the similar labels.

Hopefully one of our more thickness planer experienced members will pop in here and give you a better educated idea.

I hope this is helpful though,

CWS

Comment

Re: What is this thickness planer R4331? it is on HD site but not on ridgid site

Thank You for response,

Yes, carriage lock was exactly what drew my attention in announcement.
      I drove by homedepot tonight. The model they have in stock is 4330, guy checked sku number and it is same as 4331 mentioned on the homedepot.ca . So it looks like mistake. (I think it is recent mistake - i would've noticed it earlier).

Too bad we do not know when it is going to be released and it can be a long way(it took bosch about a year to release MRC23EVSK after announcement)

Comment

As I recall, the R4330 had exactly the same SKU as the previous model TP1300... Home Depot appears to have some difficulty with thier assignment of SKU numbers, in my opinion. They often assign the same number for a "replacing" product... it not only confuses the customers, but also the sales associates and even the store and department managers.

I faced the same frustration when they announced the R4330... I read of the new product, but there was no information available on the website and the store alledgedly knew nothing. My concern at the time was that the, very reputable, TP1300 was going to be replaced by a lesser machine and I had been saving for the TP1300 model. I certainly did not want to miss out if the new machine was less (as happened with the sister Ryobi thickness planer). So, when my local store got down to the very last TP1300 (the store denied any knowledge of the R4330, AND there was no information on this website), I took the plunge and bought the TP1300. I went back the very next day to buy an extra blade pack and there was the new R4330!!!! Obvious to me, was that HD was holding out until they cleared the old models. I complained direct to HD's HQ in Atlanta and was offered a swap, but after closer exam and seeing the the new model was without the "cutter head lock" mechanism, I declined.

I have watched as Home Depot (at least my two local stores) seems to make a practice of doing this... holding and hiding the new models until all the old models are sold. My personal feeling is that this is out-and-out FRAUD and is really no different than you or me going to our local car dealer and buying a "new" car and paying top dollar, only to find out that it was really last year's model. I think it stinks and highly unethical, but the practice still continues! I've seen old models of some tools that were still on the shelf over a year after a new product announcement and the new product will not appear until after all the old inventory is sold at full price.

Let the buyer beware!

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 11-12-2011, 01:43 AM.

Comment

I got a 4331 last week. It is REALLY nice. I had a 4330 that burned up. What I did not like about the 4330 is now addressed with the 4331.

1. the 4331 HAS a cutter head lock!
          2. Elevation handle is now on the top of the machine and much easier to use.

This is a huge upgrade to me and I love my 4331! It works great!
          Last edited by bullethead; 01-28-2012, 07:51 PM.
          http://www.picturetrail.com/gid6255915

Comment

BTW, I got my 4331 at a HD store...not on line.
            http://www.picturetrail.com/gid6255915

Comment

I have TP1300 and I love it. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a 5/8" stop.

Comment

Home Depot's website doesn't seem to differentiate between the R4330 and R4331. In fact, the website now only has the model R4331 on their website, but the description says R4330. Reviews go way back too.

R4330 15 Amp 13 in. Corded Planer-R4331 at The Home Depot

Interestingly though, the picture on the website does seem to be of the R4331 (or at least something different than the R4330) as like you said, the elevation handle is on top in this picutre.

One thing I'm curious about is the dust port though. Is there still an option for a 4" dust colleciton port on the R4331? That would be a real bummer if they added the cutter head lock back in but took away the option for a 4" dust port.

Comment

Working...
                X