Ridgid battery compatability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid battery compatability

A friend of mine has an older Ridgid hammerdrill / recip saw combo. Recently both of his 18 volt Nicad batteries took a dump and the tool are still performing strong after years of use on jobsites. He recently upgraded his batteries and charger to 2 of the 3.0 lithiums for the X3 line. Question, are the lithiums for the X3 line compatible with the new X4 hyper lithiums? Do all of the 18 volt batteries work with all of the 18 volt tool line, new or old, or do the X4 lithiums only work with the X4 tool line? I have an 18 volt cordless Ridgid hand planer kit (which performs great), but inevitably the time will come that I may need to replace the battery and would like to know my options since I've been eyeballing some of the X4 tools as well. Thanks for any clarification.
    You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Re: Ridgid battery compatability

Yes, they are all compatible. The only thing that is not are the old nicad only chargers.

Comment

The newer X4 style of 18v lithium-ion batteries are excellent!

They are even slightly lighter in weight compared to the original lithium-ion batteries.

The "fuel gauge" on the battery is by far the best gadget Ridgid could have added
      as it lets you know how much power is available before you climb up into the
      attic!!!!!

Be aware though, you MUST use the correct battery charger!!!!
      The original dual charger is only for nicad batteries only and is essentially obsolete.

There are now 4 generations of single battery chargers.
      As long as you see a decal on the charger that says "multi-chemistry" you can charge both
      nicad and lithium-ion batteries.

The newest charger labeled X4 is indeed the best!
      The X4 charger is smaller, lighter, gives you better battery status,
      and causes the least amount of radio interference when operating.

You can even find them on E-bay for around $35.00 Home Depot charges $49.00
      The chargers are not part of the LSA program and only warrantied for 3 years unless
      it's included in a larger kit.

I have been slowly retiring my nicad batteries and have moved into the X4 battery.
      the weight difference is significant.

Do a search on the forum as there are many discussions also I did a comparison
      of the three older single chargers.

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. I had 2 Ridgid cordless drills that I was using on a daily basis (contractor by trade) and I really liked them both. I sold them when I got a screaming deal on a Milwaukee 4 tool combo (225 bucks new). Always had luck with Milwaukee tools in the past. The tools are great, however the batteries are garbage. Needless to say I've been eyeballing all the current offerings out there and I'm really drawn to the Ridgid X4 line. My co-workers older Ridgid's nicad batteries lasted 3 times longer than my Milwaukee's with similar use before needing replaced, and the Ridgid drill just seems more stout. I have yet to have a single issue with any of my Ridgid tools and I use them on jobsites regularly.

Comment

Milwaukee is the upgraded version of Ridgid, as Ryobi is the lesser version of the Ridgid. They are made in the same plant by the same company in China, TTI. The X4 battery is based on the current Milwaukee 18V battery.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
            Do a search on the forum as there are many discussions also I did a comparison
            of the three older single chargers.

Cactus Man
            I spent a good 20 minutes trying to search the archives for this comparison, can you throw me a bone and link me to it?

Comment

I guess it's hard to find anything that's not made in China anymore. I have a Dewalt circular saw that I've had for 18 years that still runs like a champ and a 14.4 volt Milwaukee cordless drill that I've had for 10 years. Both of them used regularly and both were actually made in the good old USA. Replaced batteries on the drill a couple times but the drill runs like a beast. The 4 tool Milwaukee combo I mentioned above is the nicad combo, not the lithium. Milwaukee had a recall on their 18 volt nicads and of course mine that failed didn't qualify (batch numbers matched those in the recall but they still refused to replace them).

Comment

Guys, I thought way back when we had these discussions Ridgid told us any charger was safe to use for the lithiums including the older nicad designs?Personally, I would buy a newer charger if I invested in the newer lithium batteries. Frank

Comment

I agree totally. The new charger is only 50 bucks. Don't remember details of the discussion in the past, however, I've been racing r.c. cars for many years and lithium batteries have been around in that hobby quite a bit longer than in tools. Lithium batteries absolutely use a different type of charge than Nicads or NiMH batteries. Nicads use peak detection and occasionally pulse charging where lithium batteries require a cc/cv (constant current/constant voltage) charging method. Whether it was said or not, even by Ridgid, I'd be safe and acquire the dual chemistry charger. Seen a couple lithiums crap out in r.c. cars and it's not pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by King Dork View Post
                    Seen a couple lithiums crap out in r.c. cars and it's not pretty.
                    In RC cars, the charger and the speed control are supposed to be mindful of charging and low voltage cutoffs. 12V-36V Cordless tool batteries have circuit boards that are supposed to protect the batteries.

Comment

Working...
                    X