X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• craftsman RAS drill chuck removal

i'm turning in the motor of an older C-man RAS, but i'd like to keep the 1/2" drill chuck that's on the end of the motor spindle opposite the blade. anyone familiar with this?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: craftsman RAS drill chuck removal

I have the saw but never put a chuck on it. If you just want the chuck off drop the blade to the table or scrap if you are keeping the table (dead blade if you have one) put a good sized allen key in the chuck and beat it counter clockwise to remove chuck.

Comment

anyone know if the chuck threads on with RH or LH threads?

Comment

If you read the post above your question has been answered, If you think about it.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

lefty loosy

Comment

YEP!.... Lefty loosy, righty tighty!

Ya' know, I've had my Craftsman RAS since 1973 and soon after I purchased the 92980 1/2-20 thrd drill chuck and I've yet to use it! I just got up away from keyboard to check it out. Still in the box and still wrapped up in the original plastic bag and still coated with the rust preventative.

Don't know why, just my character I guess but I usually acquire a couple of accessories with the mindset of someday needing/wanting to use them and yet, that rarely happens. Probably because I come to use the tool for it's primary purpose only and find other tools or ways that relieve the need for such "accessories". Still, it's a good thing to have should that need ever arise.

CWS

Comment

thanks for the info. it came off easy as can be.

Comment

A lot of people might say: "what the heck do you need a drill chuck on a RAS for?"

As I remember it was meant for horizontal boring. I bought the chuck too when I got my RAS
                and have never used it. I bought it cause I thought I might use it in the future and was figuring
                when the time came it would no longer be available. So I fell right into their trap and bought it.

But the cost was low so no huge outlay of cash. I doubt it was over $20 back then (early 80s).

I had bought that Saf-T-Planer too which mounted on the RAS. I used it once but was not impressed
                with its performance and it really didn't feel safe so I quit using it. Have no idea where it is now, I must
                have trashed it as I have not laid eyes on it in over 15 years in the shop.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 11-24-2011, 11:00 AM.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob D,

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who does these kind of things. I also have the 3 x 2-1/4 dia. drum sander (9 25246) and the 9-3230 Hold-down kit which was gifted to me for use with my new RAS (at the time). Just never had the need to use any of these.

I had often wondered whether that "Saf-T-Planer" was of any value. It sounds like there's a potential there, but I questioned the RPM and the swirling cross-grain action that such a device would place on the board surface. Bottom line was that with the RAS being my only big power tool for quite a few years, the planer head purchase just never happened.

I think I've learned my lessons though and I've come to realize that there's little point in making a tool or accessory purchase until I actually need it. But of course, one runs the risk of finding it no longer on the market at some later date too.

Again, a "Happy Thanksgiving" to you and your family,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                  X