Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R82008 Trigger problem

Hi,

I have two (one remanufactured and one new) R82008 cordless drills. Both of them have had the same problem. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not registering them, so I think I may be on my own. In both cases, after a couple months of use, the trigger sporadically stops working. When I say sporadically, I mean, most of the time. You pull the trigger and nothing happens. Pull it again a few times, once in a while, the drill starts, most of the time, nothing. No light, nothing.

I'd like to take it apart and see if I can figure out what broke. Has anyone tried this? Any gotchas to taking it apart and putting it back together? Anyone else have trigger problems? The drill has been lightly used (by my wife) so I don't think it's a shock damage kind of thing (i.e. never dropped, etc.)

Thanks

Re: R82008 Trigger problem

Even without registration, the new one has a three year warranty and the recon has a one year.
    Taking them apart yourself can (and usually will) void the warranty. Yes, the ASC can tell that you have taken it apart yourself.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

You need to look at the serial number located on the tag. It will be a sequence of 2 letters followed by a 4 digit code. Typically the format will be something similar to CS2509. The first two digits are the week it was made 25 of 52, the 09 is the last two of the year, '09.
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

You need to look at the serial number located on the tag. It will be a sequence of 2 letters followed by a 4 digit code. Typically the format will be something similar to CS2509. The first two digits are the week it was made 25 of 52, the 09 is the last two of the year, '09.
        After this was posted I went and looked at my 14.4V drill/driver and 14.4V impact driver that I purchased as a kit some years ago. According to the above formula, both the tools were made in the 52nd week however one was made in 06 while the other was made in 92. Either that one hasn't been made yet or it was made years before RIDGID/TTI started making cordless tools. Maybe Doctordeere can clarify if indeed that is the correct way to read the serial number?
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I've been playing with it over the weekend and discovered that if I pull out the battery and give it a good slap going back in (think re-loading a magazine in a rifle) that it works for a while. I was under the impression I wouldn't be able to get service without proof of purchase. I found a couple local service centers so I'm going to bring them in and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            After this was posted I went and looked at my 14.4V drill/driver and 14.4V impact driver that I purchased as a kit some years ago. According to the above formula, both the tools were made in the 52nd week however one was made in 06 while the other was made in 92. Either that one hasn't been made yet or it was made years before RIDGID/TTI started making cordless tools. Maybe Doctordeere can clarify if indeed that is the correct way to read the serial number?
            Every Ridgid cordless tool I own that still has an intact sticker has fell undermy current date code understanding. Newer stuff manufactured this year has alot more numbers in it, but the formula still holds true. That and they stamp the 4 digit date code on the top portion of the batteries now.
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              ... Maybe Doctordeere can clarify if indeed that is the correct way to read the serial number?
              A Ridgid serial number "CS0841 03169" indicates the tool was manufactured in the 41st week of 2008. The last five digits are the unique ID number for that date. Batteries will only have the date code, no unique ID.

As an example, the recall on the R4511 table saw (the arbor shaft recall) was limited to units with serial numbers between CD0829 and CD0837. In other words, units made between the 29th and 37th weeks of 2008.
              Last edited by Doctordeere; 11-29-2011, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I am having the same problem, I have registered and applied and received lifetime warranty. Where do I contact Rigid to report my problem.

Comment

You don't contact Rigid to report your problem.
                  You take it to an ASC so they can repair it.

Comment

Working...
                  X