X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Cordless Power Tools?

I went with my current X3 kit because it was marked down to 66% of retail. I was running 18V Dewalt NICD prior. The LIPO batteries did not seem as good, had one die after 3 charge cycles, and for the most part was ready to upgrade to a new dewalt kit, or upgrade to Makita until I scored a bunch more batteries dirt cheap. I have talked to several department managers about the X4 return rate, it is substantially lower than the X3, and 2/3 claim customers say they seem better than the old stuff. One simply said its the same stuff with more rubber on the handles but better batteries. I have 2 of the X4 batteries (1 large 1 small) and have not noticed any performance difference aside from when they are cold(50-60*) The X3 feel like half dead NICD and the X4 run like a champ.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Festool. Expensive, but the best for the bucks.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the input. I have learned a lot.

At this point I lean towards Ridgid (but have not made up my mind completely). I hear and definitely appreciate the broader tool line with Milwaukee. However, I think you know batteries are going to wear out and having them replaced instead of paying another $100 is a huge advantage--possibly worth dealing with 2 brands of chargers, batteries, etc. Although I wanted only one set, with one charger, etc. I think it may be worth it to have the Ridgid LSA on the more common tools I use the most. If I want a grinder or other tool not in the Ridgid line, I would probably buy a Milwaukee or Makita and just have to add a second battery set up. If Ridgid didn't have the LSA on their batteries, I'd clearly go with one of the companies with a broader range of cordless tools.

If anyone has any thoughts on that plan or any feedback in general I'd love to hear it.

Comment

I understand the convenience of selecting one brand that can share the same batteries, but I think it's a mistake to pick one brand for everything. No company produces the best in everything. I have Ridgid tools, but also Makita and Hitachi. Some of my older Hitachi stuff is still my best.

That said, I haven't run across any Makita that has been bad. IF I had to pick one brand for everything, that would probably be my choice..

Comment

unless one has either the dollars or the opertunity to work some place that has many diffrnet brands, of tools and have the ablity to try in real world conditions,

for example do to my SIL recomendations, I bought a corded electric impact He has built a lot of grain bins and had distroyed a lot of impacts in his carrear he has tore up ever major brand in many times less than a days time, (the boss/owner did not seem to care jsut get the job done and it was not his money) he has run the gun untill the socket glows red, and has to hold with gloves and rags, the only brand was Jepson that would hold up, (no I had never head of them either) but bought one a wile back,
            It may be the best gun, but I hate the trigger on it, the way I hold it is it a mess to use, (finaly took the triger and cut about 1/3 of it off and taped the cut off section in the handle and it is better now, (it is a rocker type) but could not pick it up with truning it on,
            (do to that I would not rate it very high), even it it does out last ever thing elese in a abuse running condition.

so here may be the best tool but not easy for me to use, Is it the best, Not for me, as I am not abusing my impacts like my SIL does and he takes the gun and holds with two hands and does not shut it off untill he has the ring on the bin tightend up, so diffrnet type of use makes one brand the best but for changing car lug nuts I thought it was a disaster,

so one persons oppion of the best is not always the best for you,

like I said I have dewalt, but some others have said there junk, I have a few negitives on some of there tools I own, but find them all to work well, now IF I had all the makita or Ridgid tools to try out and compaire on a side by side I may chouse some other brand, like I said I more or less chose the battery platform, and the origional 1/2 drill is a beast, it has dilled 1 1/2" holes in steel, and has done more than it should have many a time, the new 1/2 drill is OK, but not the beast the old one is, but it has hammer drill and a extra speed, it is a good drill but not as good as the older one,
            what I am saying is there is no perfect brand, no perfect battery, no perfect company, but most put out in general a good product, some are winners and some tools are not as good, pick up or go to there web site "tools of the trade", Professional Tool Tests, New Tools and Technology, Tool and Truck Industry News & Resources or "wood magazine" and see the tool tests, tools of the trade test on 18 volt impact drivers, Tool Test: 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Impact Drivers
            I am sure there are other places that to tool tests as well, (jsut watch the language as even a poor review is writen in a positve way),
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

All of the "contractor grade" brands make high quality tools and it would be hard to go wrong with any of them. I own many different cordless tools by all the makes out there. If I had it to do over again I'd probably stick to one brand that has the particular tools to fit my needs. Again, I feel all the top brands make a fine product, but having to lug lots of different batteries and the correct charger for each isn't the most convenient thing to do at times. I have recently found myself gravitating back to Ridgid and will likely keep any future purchases as such. Other than the usual tools offered in a normal 4 or 5 tool combo, I'd rarely have the need for the other cordless tools offered by other brands. If that were the case I'd likely buy Milwaukee.
              You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

I have Ridgid, and Ryobi 18v impacts. Bosch, and Makita 10v impact drivers. Makita's 10v impact is better than the Bosch, it's drive time is faster. Out of all them I like the Ridgid purely for the charge time, it's performance is comparable to the other 18v cordless drivers. I have used Dewalt and Makita 18v impacts and drills, I like Makita better as it feels more comfortable. As for Milwaukee, their price has come down considerably and their selection is far and away the best in my opinion. I see them on every job, and I still haven't heard a serious complaint about them. The way I see it, one battery and charger, many different tools.

Comment

Working...
                X