X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Cordless Power Tools?

I am looking for a really nice set of cordless power tools. While I do not want to waste money, I am willing to pay whatever necessary for the best tools. I have heard many opinions. The names I hear most often are Makita (and Milwaukee, although I hear it less than Makita) and I have heard Ridgid several times, although it was at Home Depot where there is a connection to the brand. Most of the reviews I read seem to say Makita is generally the best. However, I have had several people tell me that they would prefer Ridgid because the quality is compatible to Makita and there is the warranty/service agreement. LSA aside, how is the quality? The specs on Ridgids tools are generally better than Makita, how is the performance?

I'd love to hear some more expert opinions. Is there a brand out there that makes cordless power tools that are superior to other brands (performance only, price aside)? I like the warranty with Ridgid, but I don't want to buy a set that is inferior in performance just because there is a warranty.

I know this is the Ridgid forum but I am sure there are plenty of honest guys here that will tell me the truth regardless. Also, with the warranty/service agreement--the rep told me yesterday that if the Ridgid tool doesn't work for any reason...whether it is worn out, breaks, or I drop it and crack the case...that it will be repaired or replaced for life. Is it really that easy? That is pretty nice if it is true.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by SMLWinds; 11-30-2011, 01:39 PM.

Re: Best Cordless Power Tools?

Rep told you abuse is covered? That's news to me, the LSA, only covers defects as far as I know. I am bias to Ridgid, as I own quite a few of their tools. But, to be honest, if money wasn't an issue, I would probably go Milwaukee, as they have pretty much every cordless tool that you could ever want. Ridgid unfortunately lacks in some areas with tool offerings.

Comment

Yes, he did tell me they would repair/replace if you dropped it. However, I spoke to a Home Depot guy today and he said that would be a stretch. I am under the impression that anything other than abuse is covered--let me know if that isn't correct.

Is the Milwaukee line better or are there just more options? Also, exactly what options are you referring to? I was in Home Depot this afternoon and the 4 piece Milwaukee set is $400 and the 5 piece Ridgid set is $500--doesn't seem to be much difference in price from what I'm seeing. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by SMLWinds View Post
        Yes, he did tell me they would repair/replace if you dropped it. However, I spoke to a Home Depot guy today and he said that would be a stretch. I am under the impression that anything other than abuse is covered--let me know if that isn't correct.

Is the Milwaukee line better or are there just more options? Also, exactly what options are you referring to? I was in Home Depot this afternoon and the 4 piece Milwaukee set is $400 and the 5 piece Ridgid set is $500--doesn't seem to be much difference in price from what I'm seeing. Thanks for the help!
        Welcome to the Forum Doc! I see you use the british english spelling, "Orthopaedic".
        Ridgid tools are great in my opinion, however, what you see is what you get with little exception. Milwaukee offers many more cordless tools such as a grinder and heavy duty impact wrench. Your decision should be based on your current and possibly future cordless tool needs. If you are willing to limit yourself to basic DIY jobs around the house then Ridgid is a wise choice. If you anticipate the need for a more diverse array of tools then Milwaukee is a better choice. Good luck, Frank.

Comment

Bosch

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice! It is all appreciated! Yes, definitely the British spelling of "orthopaedic!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the Ridgid will perform on par with most any other brand. Ridgid has a great service gig while some of the other brands offer more options for expanding my collection. I admit I'm torn...I like the service plan but I also like having options.

I hear the Bosch recommendation as well! I have heard that from several people. It seems like from what I've read that Bosch isn't voted "the" best all the time but everything they make (and everything they have made for years) is one of the best in its class. Seems like one couldn't go wrong with Bosch either.

Anyone have any thoughts on Makita? I kept seeing that as the best in reviews but after surveying people at Home Depot and reading up on things I've come to consider Ridgid and Milwaukee as well.

I'd love to hear any thoughts other people have about Ridgid vs. Milwaukee vs. Makita (or Bosch, etc.) Thanks for the help!

Comment

I have Dewalt 18-volt & Milwaukee 12-volt & I like my Dewalt tools best. If you go with Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Festool or Bosch I think you will be happy. I would also look at buying them online a lot sites have some really good deals right now. Acme tools always has good prices. What tools are you looking for ? I have almost every 18-volt tool Dewat makes. The ones I use most are impact driver 12 & 18-volt, 18-volt sawzall & 12-volt hackzall.

Comment

Have many 18 volt Makita power tools. LOVE THEM
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Do Not buy dewalt ever...... I bought thé makita 6 peices tool set en now up to 8 18 volt 3 amp lithium tools highly recommend them got lots of milwauker to also great products either way u cant go wrong

Comment

Makita, Milwaukee and Bosch. No Dewalt and Ridgid battery eaters!

G

Comment

I appreciate all the feedback! It is great to hear everyone's thoughts. It sounds like to me that Ridgid is in the same class with the upper level tools (ie-Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee, etc.) so performance should be similar. Right now, I am torn between the service agreement you get with Ridgid vs. more tool options with companies like Milwaukee and Makita.

I have seen some people complain about the batteries with Ridgid. Have the new Hyper Li batteries improved that issue? Is it a big enough problem to be concerned with--after all, they guarantee the batteries so you can always get a new one if you have issues.

I would love to hear any more thoughts. Through extensive research and talking to many people I"ve heard many opinions. One thing that has been constant though is that I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Makita (or Milwaukee, but most people have talked about Makita more). That seems like a good choice to me, but again, if Ridgid is similar in performance, the service agreement is hard to beat.

Comment

Depends on tools you need. Milwaukee and Makita kits don't include a circ saw I believe and circ saws are very expensive as add-on purchases. The Ridgid kit does have a circ saw and a 5pc kit for $500 is a great deal. Also the Milwaukee kit comes with a free 3rd battery right now for a limited time.

My choice is Milwaukee they are using all lithium batteries have a better selection of tools and are putting out new tools at a mindblowing pace and seem to be ahead of the curve as far as innovation.

Avoid NiCad kits no matter how good a deal they seem to be. DeWalt is the only major player still invested in NiCad. Yes they do have the new "20 Volt" system unless you are in Europe then it is 18 Volt . Guess in Europe they make you tell the truth in Marketing.

To my knowledge no one covers abuse whether its LSA or Manufacturers warranty unless you have a friend at the local service center.

Comment

Originally posted by SMLWinds View Post
                          I have seen some people complain about the batteries with Ridgid. Have the new Hyper Li batteries improved that issue? Is it a big enough problem to be concerned with--after all, they guarantee the batteries so you can always get a new one if you have issues.
                          The Hyper lithium batteries have greatly improved run-time and cold weather issues. I just picked up a brand new 1.5 aH lithium battery today and have a new 1.5 aH hyper lithium battery. I'll post a video soon of driving 2" screws into a 4x4 with an impact driver. Should show pretty well the run time diffence. As for long term life of the battery I can't really say, but performance is definitely increased. The LSA won't cover abuse such as dropping the tools, using them for applications they aren't intended for, etc... The biggest thing is just getting the tools registered. Online is easiest you'll put in your serial numbers an print off a sheet at the end to mail in with a copy of the receipt and the barcode off the box.

Comment

I have gone with dewalt as that was for a long time about the only game in the area, I have had what I think is good luck with my dewalt tools, in general I have felt the battery life is reasonable, but I know others like some other brands better or at least indivingle tools

my reason is I have like the platform, the 18 volt battery, (my first cordless was Sears drill), problem was Sears changes batteries about as fast as one can turn a round, or at one time the did, have not been to a sears store in years, and I wanted to have a battery platform that would be around for some time,

now I have a bucket of dead batteries, but I have had my first 18 volt drill, in the mid 90's, at least that is what I rember, and it is still going,
                            and has been used hard,

are they the best I do not know that they are, but there very good, I have a good number of cordless tools and like the interchangeable battery to all the tools, and not having to have a number of diffrent chargers, and battery platforms,

I would think as long as you choose a quality company you will not be disappointed,
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You need to describe your intended tool usage as that will also delineate what brands to consider.

When I decided to say good bye to "the cord" I made a decision to only purchase one brand so
                              I only have one style battery and charger to deal with.

I chose Ridgid and around 2005 I joined the Ridgid 18V club.

Over the years as a weekend tool warrior, I have never had a single battery tool malfunction
                              or break. Then I don't abuse my tools.

Yes I have had a few batteries fail. I started with the original 18V 1.9AH nicad, then moved up to the
                              18V 2.5AH nicad.....I did have a few of the original nicad batteries fail. However, in lieu of replacing them via the LSA,
                              I moved into the Lithium-Ion battery 18V 3AH. Today I already have three of the new X4 18V Lithium-Ion
                              batteries and they are the best yet!

I also evolved through 4 generations of battery chargers. Since you are starting out, the newest style battery charger is the best.
                              The newest design provides you with more battery data, it's lightweight, smaller sized, and minimal radio frequency interference
                              [If you're a Ham Radio operator].

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
                              X