Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: X4 Impact Driver Problems

Originally posted by MAS View Post
    Maybe it caught a glimpse of some of your other tools that you have performed surgery on and got scared? lol
    Best response ever!

Comment

Used my X4 impact driver several times and thought I might have dodged the "strobe light" issue. Today I was inside kitchen cabinets screwing on new counter tops and all the sudden, "disco fever"! First time it flashed for about 30 seconds and stopped. After that it wouldn't stop until I removed the battery. Thought I'd just finish the job but damn! That strobe effect while inside base cabinets just totally freaked out my vision. Thankfully my "old faithful" 18 volt Milwaukee nicad impact driver was arm's reach away, and it's LED light works as it should. I got the X4 kit as a Christmas gift and it was then almost past the 90 day return time. In Erie, PA and there's not a service center around the corner, so just have to give it a few more tries and hope it stops. On a positive note (even though I'm pi$$ed about the situation), until it started going all "Flash Gordon" on me it WAS the favorite of all of my impact drivers (I own 5 brands of them). The X4 hammer drill that the impact driver came with is AWESOME! The LED on the hammer drill works fine. Weird. . . . they must have spec'd in a really fragile LED circuit that pusses out when the impact driver starts getting freaky. I was about to pick up a second X4 impact driver, but think I gotta reconsider.
      You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Comment

Black tape fixes a lot of problems like this. My introduction to electrical tape happened when I was 7, grandpa used it to cover the low range light on his FJ40. Boy that turkey was bright at night.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by johnw48 View Post
          Now I'm getting nervous! I just purchased a new x4 combo kit and haven't tried the impact driver yet. I hope I don't have the same problem with mine. I will certainly let you know if I do.
          Me too. I bought the kit a couple weeks ago and yesterday was the first day I used the impact. The LED does not blink but it stays on for a long time, over 3 minutes, at which point I disconnect the battery and reattach and that shuts the LED off. Other times the LED will go off after about 20 seconds. Not sure what the set delay off time is but 20 seconds seems like it would be about right. No problems with the other tools yet.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I was just wondering if most of the impacts are coming out of the kits? I am in the market for another impact, the x4 I have now is great so i was going to buy another. What I am really asking is, are all the problems coming from the combo? Should I grab the other x4 with two more batteries? Thanks

Comment

The first time I had the impact replaced at HD they took one out of a impact driver kit not the combo kit and it did the same thing. Ridgid has since replaced the whole 5 pc. combo set with one they personally inspected and I have worked the tools hard without any problems.

Comment

I got one of the first 5 pc kits available in my area and have used it heavily for the past few months. Just wanted to let people know that its not happening with all units, mine kicks @$$ and actually the impact itself converted a few Dewalt diehard's give Ridgid tools a try. I'm so impressed with the X4 system so far, my first kit was the X2 which I thought was great. The X3 surpassed that but the batteries seemed to be the weak link so to say. The X4 has better tools and the batteries are impressive. Anyway I'm happy with my purchase, but I'll let you all know if anything changes.

Comment

Mine came from the kit.

Comment

I bought an X4 kit in Feb. Haven't used the impact driver much until yesterday. The LED came on and stayed on all nite. Today the LED started blinking and won't quit unless I take the battery out. Will be returning to HD tomorrow.

Comment

I'm having the same problem with my impact driver (from the combo kit). In my case the blinking LED stops after ~5 minutes and then it stays on solid, but very dim. I have to remember to unplug the battery before the day is over or it will run down the battery. Mine had maybe an hour on it before it started doing it. Unfortunately, I'm over the 90 day period, but I'm going to try returning it to HD anyway.

Tom

Comment

What's weird is mine stopped doing this, it works fine now... Don't get why it would "correct" itself.... Who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                          What's weird is mine stopped doing this, it works fine now... Don't get why it would "correct" itself.... Who knows...
                          could it be temperature related?
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Ok what is going on Ridgid. We need a fix ASAP. I am on my third Impact driver with light issues. The first 2 came from a 5 piece kit. The impact led light would stay on constant. I then returned for a third time. HD swapped me the Impact only thinking the combo kits may be the issue. Well that led light flashes like Christmas lights and wont shut off. Now I will be going back to HD for a 4th time. In general I love the 5 pc kit. The price and warrenty cant be beat. Whomever is supplying their impact trigger circuit boards must make a immediate redesign and recall all these drivers.
                            This is only going to get worse for Ridgid the longer they wait to react. The salesman at HD says to me he cant understand it. He must of sold 12 combo kits and I am the only one who has returned any. My guess is these people just haven't used theirs yet. I been using mine for a basement refinishing project. Soon these people will use theirs and Ridgid is going to have many more months production of these floating around needing repair. what a huge expense.

Comment

Like I said, mine did this for maybe a month, it stopped doing it and now works fine, not sure why. Use it a lot for a few weeks or more and see if it corrects itself.

Comment

That's great that yours fixed itself. I started using mine a lot (every day for several weeks), but it's still acting up. It's amazing how I've come to rely on that light when my previous tools never had one.

Comment

Working...
                                X