X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bkcarpentry
    started a topic X4 Impact Driver Problems

X4 Impact Driver Problems

Posted earler about my X4 impact driver overheating. Got one reply of someone with the same problem. The kit was less than 90 days old so I took it to HD and thay gladly replaced the impact driver. Unfortunatly after a very short time (less than an hour) the LED light started blinking on and off. It wouldn't shut off. Read through the manual and online thinking it was a code for something and found nothing. I called Ridgid service and they said there was a problem with the driver and I should exchange the whole kit. I went back to HD again, Once more they honored my request and very politely I might add. I took the kit home and unpacked the tools and charged the batteries. Put a fresh battery on the impact driver, pulled the trigger and guess what, the LED light started blinking. I set it on the workbench and the light kept blinking for quite a long time, when I looked back again it was just staying on all the time. I took the battery off and put it back on, pulled the trigger and the whole cycle starts again. Thats three impact drivers, two with the LED issue right out of the box. I can't be the only one with this problem. Anyway, I called Ridgid again and talked with a service tech, said they would look in to it and get back to me. On another note, my first kit was registered promptly under LSA with no problems an it didn't take long at all, unlike what I've read on this forum. I really like Ridgid tools and I have alot of them, this is the first time I have ever had a problem. I'm sure they will resolve this issue but it is quite frustrating.

• lapsmith
    replied
    Re: X4 Impact Driver Problems

I finally sent mine to the "local" service center 30 miles away and while it took them over a month to get it back to me (kept saying they were waiting for parts from Ridgid), I can report that it has worked well for several months now. Hopefully the LED problem is fixed for good.

Leave a comment:

• drharper
    replied

Very similar problem with my X4 impact driver. From day 1 this tool's LED light was either blinking or just plain staying on until the battery went dead. There is no way to configure the light's behavior
    according to the manual and unless you physically remove the battery, the light will not turn itself off.
    I am so disappointed with the performance of this tool, I saw the "lifetime guarantee" and got suckered into buying this tool instead of the Makita (same price). Now I really regret it.
    I also have the X4 hammer drill which I purchased separately for $270 (ouch) thinking that I would have the same batteries & charger for both tools.
    I will say that the tool X4 Hammer drill is not very durable. I have dropped it a few times only a couple feet onto carpet and now the shaft is bent just enough where you can't drill a very accurate hole.
    I purchased the Makita kit drill / driver and it makes me wonder why Ridgid is so expensive. I wish I could return all of my Ridgid X4 tools and even get half my money back. I will try to sell them on Craigslist but I don't know who would want them.

Though I will add that I have not tried to take the tool back to HD yet. Since I am way past the 90 days I just assume that they'll laugh in my face. I will try it and post reply.
    Last edited by drharper; 01-30-2013, 06:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lapsmith
    replied

I tried to return mine but it is over 90 days and they said I have to go to the service center 30 miles away. Argh! Don't want to do that then get one with the same problem. Ridgid really needs to address this issue.

Leave a comment:

• masterbeavis
    replied

I can run my LED work light for (2) 10 hour workdays on a 3.0ah battery and still have life, I don't see how a dinky light can kill the battery noticeably faster.

Leave a comment:

• Alphacowboy
    replied

Spoke to soon, did it again today. Brought it in to HD and they exchanged it, actually just returned it and have me store credit so I could re-buy it and get the free battery! Hopefully this replacement fixes it, but I won't hold my breath. Regardless, I got a free battery in case the LED runs them dry quicker... LOL.

Leave a comment:

• lapsmith
    replied

That's great that yours fixed itself. I started using mine a lot (every day for several weeks), but it's still acting up. It's amazing how I've come to rely on that light when my previous tools never had one.

Leave a comment:

• Alphacowboy
    replied

Like I said, mine did this for maybe a month, it stopped doing it and now works fine, not sure why. Use it a lot for a few weeks or more and see if it corrects itself.

Leave a comment:

• Grambyroll
    replied

Ok what is going on Ridgid. We need a fix ASAP. I am on my third Impact driver with light issues. The first 2 came from a 5 piece kit. The impact led light would stay on constant. I then returned for a third time. HD swapped me the Impact only thinking the combo kits may be the issue. Well that led light flashes like Christmas lights and wont shut off. Now I will be going back to HD for a 4th time. In general I love the 5 pc kit. The price and warrenty cant be beat. Whomever is supplying their impact trigger circuit boards must make a immediate redesign and recall all these drivers.
    This is only going to get worse for Ridgid the longer they wait to react. The salesman at HD says to me he cant understand it. He must of sold 12 combo kits and I am the only one who has returned any. My guess is these people just haven't used theirs yet. I been using mine for a basement refinishing project. Soon these people will use theirs and Ridgid is going to have many more months production of these floating around needing repair. what a huge expense.

Leave a comment:

• Bob D.
    replied

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
    What's weird is mine stopped doing this, it works fine now... Don't get why it would "correct" itself.... Who knows...
    could it be temperature related?

Leave a comment:

• Alphacowboy
    replied

What's weird is mine stopped doing this, it works fine now... Don't get why it would "correct" itself.... Who knows...

Leave a comment:

• lapsmith
    replied

I'm having the same problem with my impact driver (from the combo kit). In my case the blinking LED stops after ~5 minutes and then it stays on solid, but very dim. I have to remember to unplug the battery before the day is over or it will run down the battery. Mine had maybe an hour on it before it started doing it. Unfortunately, I'm over the 90 day period, but I'm going to try returning it to HD anyway.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• jebitsy
    replied

I bought an X4 kit in Feb. Haven't used the impact driver much until yesterday. The LED came on and stayed on all nite. Today the LED started blinking and won't quit unless I take the battery out. Will be returning to HD tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• thisismatt
    replied

Mine came from the kit.

Leave a comment:

• Ru&Lins_05
    replied

I got one of the first 5 pc kits available in my area and have used it heavily for the past few months. Just wanted to let people know that its not happening with all units, mine kicks @$$ and actually the impact itself converted a few Dewalt diehard's give Ridgid tools a try. I'm so impressed with the X4 system so far, my first kit was the X2 which I thought was great. The X3 surpassed that but the batteries seemed to be the weak link so to say. The X4 has better tools and the batteries are impressive. Anyway I'm happy with my purchase, but I'll let you all know if anything changes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X