Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X4 Hammer Drill and Impact Driver combo or R86008 Compact Drill?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X4 Hammer Drill and Impact Driver combo or R86008 Compact Drill?

Hello, I'm new to the forum and just wondering what others think. I have a Ridgid 18 volt Ni-Cad hammer drill that still works well but the batteries are failing. It came with a flashlight and circular saw too so I wanted to stick with Ridgid hoping the new batteries would work with the old tools (which they do wooohooooo!).

I was in HD the other night and saw the new Ridgid Fuego R86008 18 volt drill with charger and two hyper Li-on batteries for $150 and I snapped it up without looking at it too closely. When I got it home I realized that although the new batteries do work with my old tools they are not the high capacity batteries like the Ni-Cads I had. I do not have need of the hammer drill too often and honestly find myself up on ladders or in tight quarters far more often but I do a fair amount of heavy duty driving when building decks, etc. So I am not sure whether I should stick with the smalller drill with belt clip (will be nice on ladders) for $150 or return it and grab the new hammer drill with free impact driver with charger and two high capacity batteries for $280. I still have my old hammer drill so I don't really need a new one but not sure how well the smaller batteries will power it (and the circular saw). I don't really want to spend the extra money but would rather do that than spend $150 and be disappointed with the smaller batteries.

I guess my question boils down to how big of a difference is there between the regular hyper Li-on 18 volt batteries and the high capacity ones?

Re: X4 Hammer Drill and Impact Driver combo or R86008 Compact Drill?

Check E-bay there are the new x4 18V 3AH batteries offered there at around $20-30 less than Home Depot
    Also any batteries not purchased within a "kit" will only have a 3 year warranty

You could also sell your unwanted Ridgid tool on E-bay.

Cactus Man

Comment

Hmmm, I didn't know only kit batteries had the lifetime warranty. I'll have to check e-bay to see what stuff is going for. Doesn't look like my old Ni-Cad hammer drill, circular saw, flashlight and charger with 3 batteries would go for much. One of the batteries is pretty much gone but the other two still hold a decent charge but nobody wants that old technology. If I knew just how much more juice the high cap batteries have it would make it easier to decide but I can't find actual numbers anywhere.
      Last edited by Carl in CT; 12-05-2011, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl in CT View Post
        If I knew just how much more juice the high cap batteries have it would make it easier to decide but I can't find actual numbers anywhere.
        The high capacity batteries are 3.0 aH batteries, and the compacts are 1.5 aH. Basically the slim batteries have one row of 5 cells. The high capacity have two rows of 5 cells (double the capacity).
        The other benefit as cactusman mentioned is that individual batteries (and especially batteries on ebay) will not be covered under the lifetime service agreement. Buying the kit means all components are guaranteed. The hammerdrill kit has two of the high capacity batteries ($99 a piece) as well as the new dual voltage charger ($49), and as long as you register them you’re covered should they ever become defective. The drill is a great deal but if you use the saws much, invest in the hammerdrill to get the larger batteries.

Comment

I thought I posted this last night but I guess not, hopefully it doesn't end up on here twice. Anyway, I returned the compact drill and got the hammer drill with the two high capacity hyper lithium batteries and I even nabbed the last box that had the free impact driver in it. So for $280 I guess I did ok.

I still like my old X2 hammer drill and honestly it is bigger and heavier and seems more rugged than the new X4 version. Not sure if it really is more rugged or just seems that way because it is bigger and heavier. The auxiliary handle on the old X2 is definitely better and the chuck is too and it came with a depth gauge that the X4 did not. It's almost like the X2 was really designed to be a full blown hammer drill but the X4 was just given hammer drill functionality as an afterthought, hope that is not the case.

In any event I am thinking I will keep the X2 as a back-up/spare. Probably would not get much for it anyway, especially now that it is down to one good battery (another one of the original three refused to charge yesterday). If I could get $100 for it I might sell it or if I could get $200 for the X2 drill, circular saw, light, charger and one good battery I'd sell all that, return the X4 I just bought and buy the $500 set but I don't see getting nearly that much for my old stuff. I'm happy with what I have so it's all good.
          Last edited by Carl in CT; 12-07-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

You should have your ni-cad batteries rebuilt by someone like Batteries Plus or someone else.(look on the net-there are lots of places) I did my old craftsman and the rebuilt batteries were better than the new ones. You can not get the new lithium batteries rebuilt but the ni-cad and the ni-mh can be and their amp hrs can be increased.

Comment

I think you made the right choice going with the kit. I have the X3 compact drill and it is the same size as my x4 hammer drill so the size on the hammer drill is pretty compact anyway. You will love the new batteries, the led indicator is awesome. As for keeping the older drill, I kept my older compact drill even though it's the same size it is way lighter and tends to get most of the use.

As for the power of the x4 series hammer drill, you will be pleasantly surprised. Last week I was putting a 2"hole sump drain hole outside through a basement wall which had cement and big stones in the wall. 14 inches thick, 7 half inch holes, two batteries and it worked awesome. Solid stone is slow moving but brick is like butter.

Comment

Where is the best place to get Drill Bit accessories for these? I too bought the combo pack and love it! I just want to make sure I get the right driver sets with it.

Comment

The x2 drill came with nicad batteries, while the x3 and x4 have lithium ion batteries. As far as power and lasting time, those new lith-ion batteries will both outperform and outlast nicads While being smaller and lighter. I looked into replacing/restoring my nicads on my x2 and chose to get a new x4 instead. I am much happier for it, even though my first impression was that it seemed so much smaller!

Comment

Working...
                  X