X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Washer RD80702

I purchased the above mentioned pressure washer on 6/20/11 from Home Depot. I have used it twice for a total of about 30 minutes of run time and during the second use it started to spit and sputter. I took it to Orange County Mower and Tool in Apopka Florida (an autorized service center) the 4th of November. I was informed that it needed a new throttle body and that the part was on back order. Friday the second of December, Orange County Mower and Tool contacted me again to say the part was in and that the pressure washer would be ready the next day. I did not hear anymore from them December the sixth, as I planned to pick it up. I called to ask what time they were open to and was then told that the pressure washer was not ready and in fact the part that had been ordered and was back ordered was defective. Subaru informed the repair shop that the part is in high demand and that it would be a long wait. Subaru then suggested a whole new motor only a carburated engine in place of the fuel injected version. I paid for a fuel injected motor and now they are telling me the best they can do after all this time, is to substitute it with old technology. This pressure washer is less than six months old and has been in the shop for well over a month now. I wrote Ridgid to complain and to ask that I be given a new pressure washer and was told that it is Subaru's problem, I disagree and feel that the ultimate responsibility falls on Ridgid. They take no responsibility at all. As of today December 13th, the new motor is still not in and I still do not have my pressure washer.

Re: Pressure Washer RD80702

First, You will be much happier in the long run with a carbureted engine. Trust me on that. I guarantee it.

Second, you were told correctly - your issue is with Robin/Subaru, not Ridgid/TTI. Ridgid has no control over Robin/Subaru and the engine has its own (and totally separate) warranty.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

[QUOTE=Doctordeere;367052]First, You will be much happier in the long run with a carbureted engine. Trust me on that. I guarantee it.

Is that because of the simplicity of the carb. vs FI on the smaller engines?
      Are the smaller engines mechinically controlled FI?

Curious, 'cause I love EFI on trucks. I haven't rebuild a carb in years.

Comment

EFI is great stuff if properly utilized. The Robin/Subaru EX21EFI would be a great powerplant in an application where the engine is under a more or less constant load. But on a pressure washer, where you consistently go from zero load to full load without transition... they suck balls. They stumble, hesitate and frequently stall. Which is the main reason why TTI discontinued their use after approx. two years of production.

There's nothing wrong with the engine, per se, it just won't work well on a pressure washer. I have one of the engines and plan on using it combined with a 3650 watt generator head. It ought to be a perfect marriage.

Comment

I purchased a Ridgid pressure washer model RD 80702 / RD 80905 with EFI Subaru engine from Home Depot in June 2011. I had an extremely hard time getting it to start... maybe a couple hundred pulls on the rope while following all operating and starting instructions. It finally started and I used it without incident for 2 hours. The next day it was again very difficult to start. I found that pulling the rope 10 times (rather than the recommended 4 pulls) with the ignition "OFF" helped it start. I used the machine another 3 hours, ran the gas tank empty, and stored it for the winter in a well heated garage.

This next spring (June 2012) it was again extremely hard to start. When it did start, I used it for 2 hours without incident. The next day, it again failed to start, and I have not been able to get it to start since. Now I also have the reported problem with the pump not unloading during starting, and so the rope pull is nearly impossible unless I stop the water flow and open the wand valve.

So, I seem to now have a pump problem in addition to my original engine problem. For a machine with only 4 hours of use, it is quite disappointing. Additionally, my Denver CO warranty shop is offering to work on the Subaru engine, but apparently does not work on the CAT pumps. I do not want to start a warranty claim process without clear accountability to a single shop.

Any advice is most welcome.
          Pat.

Comment

>> purchased .. model RD 80702 / RD 80905 with EFI Subaru engine from Home Depot in June 2011.

not sure if same or almost same, but I picked up from HD the Model # RD80704 (what changed from 80702 to 80704 ?)

couple things to consider. the engine will throw off a lot of metal shavings,debris during the first few hours so I change the oil after every 60 minutes of use for the first 5 hours. use any quality conventional 10W30 (Pennzoil, Mobil, Syntech, Quaker etc). Wallyworld has these for sale often.

the engine will not start with water pressure on so I always start without hose attached.

do not idle the engine with pressure on and nothing to do...ie, if you're taking a break, shut it off, release pressure, disconnect hose, take your break.

use quality non-ethanol gas if possible, around my area, Sunoco stations sell non-ethanol fuel, 90 octane and it's just 10 cents more than premium 93 octane gas.

HD discontinued this model 80704 so all the stores are selling it out at 499, nice engine, works well and should work well if maintained properly.

Comment

Originally posted by RidgidPower View Post
              (what changed from 80702 to 80704 ?)
              The 80702 was upped to the 80706, not the 80704.
              The 80704 replaced the 80701.

Comment

One of the local stores has an open box 80702 for $350 so I was really tempted, but now I am not sure. Is this something I should really stay away from, or is it still a great buy at that price? They also had half a dozen 3000 psi ones from 499 to 399 (other stores in the country have them for $299, don't recall the model # though. Would I be better with the 3k psi one?

Comment

If you buy the 80702, you'll bi*ch and whine and curse Ridgid 'till your dying day.
                  That's an exaggeration... but barely. Most 80702 owners I've dealt with aren't happy campers.

99.9% of Johnny Homeowners wouldn't need or even notice the extra 300 PSI, so unless you have a decided need for a 3300 PSI unit, don't let that be a deal breaker. The GOOD 3300 PSI Ridgid unit is the RD80706.

Comment

If you have problems with pressure washer check its two parts, a water pump and an engine or motor. Whether it is an electric motor or a gasoline powered engine, both required a repair. While water pumps won’t require repair nearly as often as an engine, on very few occasions they need repair. What’s more likely to need repair on a pressure washer setup are the pressure washer hoses.
                    metal identification tags

Comment

I've owned the 3300 psi fuel injected model for two years and have experienced the same issues as many on this thread (surging, backfiring, and shutting off).
                      Mine would actually run OK for 5 or 10 minutes sometimes then the problems would begin. Anyway, I've figured out a solution to the issues. I've talked to many repair shops,
                      Ridgid tech support, and they all say the typical "blah, blah" about ethanol in the gas. In short, none of them offered a solution. The solution is a simple adjustment of the two screws in behind the EFI unit.

Comment

Can you please elaborate on that? Which two screws? I just bought the 80702 unit used (looked brand new, and he said he used it twice). I go to use it and it surges, high pressure low pressure at just about every other second. The motor runs perfect when I am not pulling the trigger.

I just read the manual and it sais to clean out the spray nozzle so I will try this, I texted the previous owner and he said he could never figure it out.

Any help is much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                        X