Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

I need your opinion ( MS1290LZ1 ) Good price?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need your opinion ( MS1290LZ1 ) Good price?

Hi , Im new to these forums. I need some opinions on a used Ridgid 12" Miter I may be purchasing off Craigslist. My first question is.. Whats the difference between the MS1290LZ1 and the MS1290LZA?
    Home depot carries the A , but I haven't sen the I anywhere.

Here is the add:
    ( Ridgid 12" sliding Mitre saw and stand used twice )

I went and looked at it.. the guy told me he used it for 2 jobs.. It looked to be in great shape. But when I told him this model has the laser correct ? he said yes.. we ran the saw and no laser.. he looked and looked and after a few minutes he realized the laser wasnt there. Kind of strange that he did not know this but he claims he bought it 2 months ago.

Anyway .. he is asking 450.. with the utility vehicle stand.. , I got him down to 425 . ( with no laser )

What do you think.

Re: I need your opinion ( MS1290LZ1 ) Good price?

Ok price... nothing to write home about. nice setup though.

Comment

When I bought mine new, it was $589.00 and the utility vehicle (a $189.00 value) came with it free. The saw included the laser, but all that I find about it is that it is a nice feature but not all that necessary. The saw itself is a good machine that is easy to adjust for accurate repeated cuts. The only thing I did was put a better blade on it and have had very favorable results with everything I've asked the saw to do.

I think the price might be a little on the high side for a used machine, but if you think that if it shows little use and seems to be intact, you'll have to decide if it is worth it to you.

If possible, I would have him do some cuts on some stock to check how smoothly the slide works and if it will hold a square cut and if the miter cuts are true. If they are slightly off, it can be corrected with the adjustments provided in the manual, which to me seemed to be very thorough.

That's my 2¢

Ron

Edit: After re-reading this, I got to wondering if either of you knew exactly what you were looking for and where to look for the laser. If you do know, well, never mind, But, in case you were not sure, it is at the center outside of the blade, attached via the blade screw. It may be possible that the battery is dead or not aimed correctly also. I hope this may be of help, if not, disregard.

Ron

Last edited by lreops; 12-16-2011, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Was this the saw that was selling for 399 2 weeks ago?

Comment

Really the MS1290LZA for 399? !
          Cheapest Ive seen it was 450 on Ebay and that with no stand.

Where did you see this price?

Comment

The price seems to be a little on the high side, but I suppose much depends on the condition. Have you checked your local HD to see what a brand new one would cost you (at least that way you have a warranty and can register it for the LLSA... IMHO, it would be worth that even for a $100 difference. Also note that sometimes after the holiday, certain tools go on sale, especially just before HD's inventory in the first quarter of the new year. (Of course this is NEVER a sure thing.)

As previously posted, the laser is mounted on the blade arbor, sort of like an outside "hub"... it replaces the mounting flange nut on my Ridgid 10-inch CMS (not a "slider"). It requires two or three watch-type batteries and it doesn't come on until the blade spins up; as the switching mechanism is centrifugal. Personally, the laser is only "close" and much has been written/complained about that... so in my own practice, I find it more of an annoyance, than a good reference.

I hope this helps.... oh yeah, WELCOME to the Ridgid forum!

Merry Christmas,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
              Was this the saw that was selling for 399 2 weeks ago?
              ding, ding, ding, ding ding. yes, it was that price in at least one of my neighboring HDs, as was it's dewalt counterpart. BTW, that's the oldest version of ridgid's MSUV. at least 2 generations removed from the current version. they were clearanced @ $25 a few years back. $425 for a (possibly) defective 12" SCMS w/ older MSUV? not exactly gloatworthy IMHO.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                ................... BTW, that's the oldest version of ridgid's MSUV. at least 2 generations removed from the current version. they were clearanced @ $25 a few years back. $425 for a (possibly) defective 12" SCMS w/ older MSUV? not exactly gloatworthy IMHO.
                I also think that the price is on the high side. BUT,......... I also think that the older MSUV's like that one are of better quality than the ones being sold today. Just my .02¢.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Once again, I have to agree with the Badger. Sold the saw but kept the MSUV.
                  Big G

Comment

Do yourself a favor and search the Ridgid forums and the net on Rigids 12" miter saws. Many people have complained that they do not do straight 90 dg., especially when your using the slide. I personally have not checked this as I don't use mine for precision cutting other then crown molding, base boards, wood flooring and framing etc... However I plan on pulling it out the week after Xmas because we are finishing up a bathroom remodel job were I need to use it. One of the things I plan on doing is seeing if it truly makes perfect cuts in varies angles. Others claim that they do not.

Also in looking at the pictures you posted from the CraigsList add. I don't believe Ridgid makes that stand anymore, and has not for several years. I bought my Compound Miter for the shop from H.D. back in 2005 and it came with that stand. I believe they came out with the newer vs. a few years back. I am sure someone else on this forum can verify this.

Oh, and you can always write down the serial number on the saw and try calling Ridgid to find out when it actually was made.
                    Last edited by Watersurgeon; 12-18-2011, 01:14 PM.

Comment

The 12" csms is again on sale for 399 at home depot.

Comment

Working...
                      X