No announcement yet.

rigid generator idle issues.. sorry I know its the wrong location for the post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rigid generator idle issues.. sorry I know its the wrong location for the post

I just bought a 8000 watt generator from rigid. set it up and started it and it seemed like it was idling extremely high. I let it warm up for about 10 minutes and the idle never changed. It was so loud that I had to yell at my dad who was 3 feet away from me just to hear me. I plugged in some equipment equaling about 2000 watts and it seemed like it didnt even affect it the idle stayed the same the equipment worked. It seems to me like it is running at max capacity right from go when technically it should start low since there is no load on it and work up the idle as I add loads to it. Just as my other generator does. so my question is, is there a way to turn the idle down? I have been looking and I cant find a single thing about this issue.

Re: rigid generator idle issues.. sorry I know its the wrong location for the post

doctor deere will know for sure.

could be something as simple as a return/ governor spring or as bad as a voltage regulator.

i don't believe you adjust the idle on these units as they should be self governing.

i would wait to hear from doctor deere or bring it back for an exchange.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: rigid generator idle issues.. sorry I know its the wrong location for the post

first of all msot all generators will run at one speed (unless it has a special idle circuit in it that when no load is applied it slow to a more like a slow idle), most generators do not have this feature, you will find this in some welders that have generators in them),

like I said they have to run a given speed, (most likely at 3600 or 1800) depending on the windings of the generator, most smaller generators are 3600 for the US market,

the speed is to keep the cycles correct, at 60 cycles a second, unless you have a "Cycle meter" or a RPM meter for small motors,
      there is one other way to see if it running at the correct RPM, and that is to take a old plug in clock that runs off the cycles to keep correct time, they used the cycles of electricity to keep the clock working correctly,

start the generator, and plug in the clock and use a watch with a second hand and see if they are running the same, if the second hand on the clock is fast the generator is running fast, if it is slow it needs sped up,

My generators to run about 62 cycles with no load, and the natural droop of the governor will usually bring it in about right with a moderate load on the generator, = about 3700 rpm (no load) with the load it settles down to about 3600, (the best is to set with a load),

The cycles put out by the generator can be as important to some equipment as the voltage that is being put out,

(when using the Grid one hardly ever even thinks about Cycles as there so constant the way the grid is ran currently), is not even considered in most discussions on electricity),
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by abstract View Post
        1)... it seemed like it was idling extremely high. I let it warm up for about 10 minutes and the idle never changed.
        2)... It was so loud that I had to yell at my dad who was 3 feet away from me just to hear me.
        3)... I plugged in some equipment equaling about 2000 watts and it seemed like it didnt even affect it the idle stayed the same the equipment worked.
        4)... It seems to me like it is running at max capacity right from go when technically it should start low since there is no load on it and work up the idle as I add loads to it. Just as my other generator does.
        1) Yep. That's what they do. If the speed DID change after warming up for 10 minutes, THAT would indicate a problem.
        2) It's a jobsite generator. It wasn't designed for quiet operation. It's loud.
        3) "... the equipment worked." I would certainly hope so - 2000w won't break a sweat on an 8k genny.
        4) An inverter genny will "start low since there is no load on it and work up the idle as I add loads to it". The RD8000 is not an inverter genny.

Sounds to me like your genny is operating correctly unless there's something you haven't mentioned.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

My RD 6800 is also loud. (Rated at 82 decibels) I had a new flange made and got rid of the spark arrestor and welded a 2" exhaust pipe to the new flange. I then attached 6' of flexible exhaust with a small car muffler at the end. That made a huge difference! My next plan is to make a little enclosure inside the shed from concrete blocks at the sides and a double layered lid with sound proofing in between. I'm also going to make a raised platform with rubber mulch underneath. I have a fan which will be mounted at the intake end drawing fresh air through a vent in the shed wall. That should quieten things down a bit!

Comment

Sorry guys I think that you might have gotten this one wrong. I am having the same problem with mine and the generator that this guy was talking about has an "Idle Down" feature that adjusts the throttle when there isn't a load on the engine. Once there is a load the rpms shoot up. Any ideas?

Comment

i downloaded and scanned the manual and find no reference to a 'idle down' feature or auto idle. i also used the search feature in acrobat to search the entire text of the manual and didn't find anything related to an auto idle.

it would be nice if it had this, but if it does its not mentioned in the manual. of course as manuals go these days, and not just ridgids', there are plenty of errors and omissions and things lost in translation.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

The NEW version of the 6800 has both idle-down and electric start...

6800-Watt Yamaha 357cc Electric Start Idle Down Portable Generator-RD906812 at The Home Depot

Comment

Only the 6800 and not the 8000?
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Ah, the 8000. Couple of posts up mentioned the 6800... I apparently lost track of which one we're discussing.
                    Yeah, the 8000 still doesn't have idle-down. No clue why TTI upgraded the 6800 and left the 8000 in the dinosaur shed.

Comment

Working...
                    X