Pressure washer Pump Saver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure washer Pump Saver

Got a question for everyone. We don't use our Pressure Washer very often so between uses I get a pint of Pressure Washer Saver from H.D. The Shitts expensive, I think the last one we bought was around $11.00 for a pint.

I learned a very valuable lesson a few years back with a paint sprayer we had just bought. We washed it, cleaned it, and then stored it. A few months later we pulled it for a job and the frigging piston and valve assembly went bad. That would have cost us $350.00 to fix, but luckily I know the inside service manager at one of our commercial paint suppliers and he warrantied it for us. I think it cost me a bottle of Scotch, we lost the use of the unit for a few days and got my hand slapped for being stupid. Never again. That unit gets pump saver if its going to sit for more then a couple of days.

Anybody have any ideas on alternative products you can fill the pressure washer pump with between uses?

Re: Pressure washer Pump Saver

i guess you missed the closeout of the dewalt brand pump saver a few years back. i picked up at least 2 dozen aerosol cans for about $3.00 each.

i think they're alcohol based.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I buy the aerosol type pump conditioner from Sears, or from Lowe's in a pinch (the cans are smaller from Lowe's). I only use it every five or so uses, or when the PW will be stored for some time or if a freeze is expected. Not much freezing in my area, but our water is as hard as rock.

Comment

You may be missing the point as it shouldn't take much of the product to be effective in protecting and lubricating the pump. I'd estimate one can will last me 10-15 uses. I use it between uses as well as during winter storage. I flush all water out of the pump and use just enough Pump Guard for it to dribble from the pump outlet. I then slowly turn the engine over a few revolutions to evenly disperse the product in the pump.

RV antifreeze would be a cheaper alternative, but I'm not sure that it has the lubricating properties that Pump Guard, etc. does.

Comment

I've used the foam product from Lowe's for the last 3 winters. I think it sells for about $8 for a can, and we can winterize 3 pressure washers with one can.
          Dan

Comment

I use the Briggs & Stratton brand, I think in a black can. I hook it up and spray just a little while my son VERY slowly pulls the recoil starter about 2 crankshaft revolutions (ignition switch off just in case). I get a good amount of bubbly liquid coming out of the outlet port, and I catch most of it with a wad of paper towel. I figure I can get a dozen uses out of this can.

If you get only 1 or 2 uses out of a can..."you're doing it wrong."

Comment

Working...
            X