X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace the switch??

I have an old 1/2" Ridged R841150 18V Drill that was still working well until I mistakenly used a new X4 Lithium Ion Battery on it. I pulled the trigger and it was working fine until under heavy load and then made a popping sound and so I let go and took the battery off. I put the original NiCad battery back on and it now only operates at an extremely slow speed. My NiCad batteries are still good and hold a full charge so I know it is the drill itself. I'm thinking the draw from the new X4 batteries destroyed the switch, but before I replace it are there any other possibilities for this issue? Thanks

Re: Replace the switch??

Welcome the The Forum. Could be the motor? Why not jump out the switch and see how it sounds? I don't see why the new battery should have caused a problem since the volatage is the same. Maybe it was just it's time to fail. Frank

Comment

I agree with Frankiarmz.

Any of the 18v batteries from Ridgid works with any of the Ridgid 18v tools.
      All 18v batteries have a specific amp hour rating from as little as 1.9AH to 3.0AH.
      The tool being used only "draws" or uses the specified current needed to operate.

Thus a 3AH hour should provide just shy of twice the operating time as a 1.9AH battery.

Tools are dumb and do not know if you're using a NI-CAD or Lithium-ion battery, or if the battery is 1.9AH
      or 3AH...when the battery can no longer provide power to the tool, the tool will stop operating.

The question is "heavy load"????

The switch sounds like the item that failed. Why? well it's made in china?

likely there may never be an explanation as to why any variable speed drill switch fails
      they simply do..luck of the draw!

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
        The switch sounds like the item that failed.
        90% likely.
        The fact that it failed when using the X4 is mere coincidence. One second they work, the next they don't.
        If the switch failed while being used left-handed, would we assume that using Ridgid drills left-handed causes them to fail?
        Last edited by Doctordeere; 12-20-2011, 05:47 PM.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Thanks for the insight.

The "heavy load" in question was mixing drywall mud...probabaly half the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by HohmanProvements View Post
            The "heavy load" in question was mixing drywall mud...probabaly half the problem.
            Mixing mud with a cordless almost 100% guarantees a toasted motor. Or switch. Or both.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
            X