Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 18v Impact and Hammer Drill Accesory Bits??

Just bough the Impact/Hammer Drill Combo set, and I was wondering where on earth to buy matching Drill Bit accessories, if there are any available. I saw a Driver Set online at Home Depot. I also, I was wondering what are the best options for the Impact Driver? I want to be able to use it to change tires, etc. but want to make sure that I have the proper heads. Any help would be grrrrreat!!

Love the drills, they are one of a kind!!

Re: New 18v Impact and Hammer Drill Accesory Bits??

Your impact driver is not an impact wrench and really shouldn't be used like one.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. Now that I know I can't change a tire with it, is there anywhere to buy matching RIDGID bits?

Comment

If you want matching drill bits try the Coldfire screwdriving set:
        COLDfire 42-Piece Screwdriving Kit-AC96421RV1 at The Home Depot
        And Cobalt bit set:
        14 Piece Cobalt Drill Bit Set - RIDGID Professional Tools

Couldn't find the depot link for the cobalt bit set but most stores carry the 14 piece and some carry the 21 piece.

I've had good luck with the Shockwave kits by Milwaukee for use with an impact driver, I've never used the coldfire Ridgid bits.

Comment

Re: New 18v Impact and Hammer Drill Accessory Bits??

Any 1/4 inch hex bits will work well with the impact driver, but "impact rated" bits will last a bit longer before they break (and cost slightly more). The impact wrench will drive nuts, bolts, and lags, but will not turn a lug nut. I would start out with any of the "drill and drive" sets that Ryobi, Milwaukee, or DeWalt offer. Lowe's also has some decent Kobalt brand sets. Get one of those sets and then replace bits as they break or wear out. Personally, for my home and woodworking use, Phillips bits and a 3/8 inch socket adapter are what I use the most.

For your tires, Ryobi has a relatively inexpensive impact wrench that will remove lug nuts. But I hear that pneumatic impact wrenches are best for installing lug nuts because the torque can be set so as not ovetighten them.
          Last edited by erngum; 12-30-2011, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much erngum. I appreciate the input.

Comment

Milwaukee Shockwave impact bits are the best imo

Comment

I see you bought into DeWalt's black colored bit is worth more and will last longer scheme...
                Last edited by dlarrivee; 01-02-2012, 01:18 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

You definitely need to use "impact rated" bits/sockets/whatever... if you are using are in-fact "impacting" with the particular tool. But, with the hammer drill (at least with mine) you don't need "impact rated" if you aren't in the hammer mode.

But for example, I have a Ridgid 14.4 Volt impact wrench which came as part of a combo. I was thrilled, as it was a tool that I thought I might get a lot of use out of for "assembly" work. For me and my project to date (I've had it about five years now), it has proven to be just too powerful. My first use was to drive some deck screws... or so I thought. But the hex-driver bit that I used was not "impact rated" and on the first screw, that bit holder was just torn apart. (WOW!). At the time, I couldn't find a "impact rated" bit holder, so I did the job with my 14.4 Drill/Driver and it worked excellently.

The second time I used the impact driver was to assembly some steel shelving. I had some "impact rated" sockets and the 14.4 Volt driver worked great. Except I made a mistake and fastened a bolt into the wrong hole on one of the diaganal braces. Because the it was a "sloted carriage bolt" it was tightened down so snug that I simply could NOT get the bolt back out. It was almost like being welded in place and I couldn't hold the bolt head securely enough for the impact drive to loosen the nut.... I ended up cutting the bolt to remove it. SO MUCH for my little 14.4 Volt Impact driver... it works just too great for my normal uses.

But, I know it's there in the cabinet and I'm sure there will be some powerful need for it somewhere... maybe when I build a deck on the house or something!

CWS

Comment

It sounds like you should just hire a handy-man for things like this.

I've never broken a bit with my impact driver, and I don't find it "too powerful" for anything.

Comment

Well GOOD FOR YOU!

I've been building projects of one type or another for more than fifty years.... and I've never had anything like that break on me with any drill, drill/driver, or manual driver. I've also never broken a tool or burned out a power tool or lost blood with a power tool. It's a matter of using the proper tool for the proper job and if you've used a non-impact rated bit with an impact driver and NOT had it break, then maybe YOU are just not using it right, or perhaps you're just driving into soft wood.

The point was that "impact-rated" bits are out there for a reason and while YOU may well have had luck with that, the overall, experienced-based opinion is that a properly functioning impact driver can well over torque and break bits that are not rated for them... they'll also snap off some of the cheap foreign-made bolts that are on the market. (But you probably haven't experienced that either!)

CWS
                      Last edited by CWSmith; 01-02-2012, 08:46 PM.

Comment

You may want to check out:

WWW.McFEELY'S.com

Their ACR brand of bits are excellent for impact drivers.
                        They carry a full line from straight slot, hex drive, torx, pozidrive, etc.

for even better bits look at their APEX impact specific driver bits.

Prices are OK....

Cactus Man

Comment

@ Cactusman: I have been wanting to try some of those bits from McFeely's but I have a good stockpile of bits that will last me some time.

@ Bfdd911: I hope you found some useful information here. Welcome to the forum and don't mind the guy with a chip on his shoulder, there's always one in the room...

Comment

I've bought into the black dewalt last longer impact bit sets and I've been very satisfied. Home Depot has them on sale all the time and every time I use my impact I use the black bits. Never had a problem. On a side note, I've tried non-impact sockets before I knew any better and snapped two in half, never had an actual impact socket do that on me since. I would imagine the impact tools are probably better steal, heat treated a bit different and less likely to fracture... either way the dewalt sets are dirt cheap when they come on sale and I think they are worth the money.

Comment

Working...
                            X