Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2910 router w/ PC 4200 series dovetail jig?

Happy New Year all!
    First on the agenda this year is a kitchen.
    A search revealed that in 2007 folks here reported that the 2910 Ridgid & 4200-series Portercable was a viable combination; I'm hoping to verify that before the purchase, specifically PC 4216.

The obvious concern is fitment of the template guide to the Ridgid base plates...

Any input appreciated.

Re: 2910 router w/ PC 4200 series dovetail jig?

Yes, the template guide will fit on one of the router bases.

Comment

On the first and second versions of the Ridgid R2900-series routers, they were a two-base combo, with both a "fixed" and a "plunge" base. With those, one of the two acrylic bases was molded to accept the Porter-Cable template guide bushings. Also, the Ridgid R2400 (I think that's the number) also accepted the P-C guide bushings.

I haven't examined the latest, single-base router from Ridgid yet, so I can only presume that they maintained this "compatibility". Home Depot also carries a Ridgid-branded set of guide bushings. Unfortunately, they are steel with a TIN coating, instead of the usually preferred brass (the latter is less likely to nick the carbide on your cutters). The "Ridgid" guide bushing set also comes with a centering pin and two rather large (6.75") black plastic base plates.

Brass guide bushings (P-C compatible) can be purchased from several sources including Rockler and Lee-Valley.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thank you; mine is the earlier, 2 base kit which I specifically shopped for before the newer model was released.

Comment

Originally posted by Bldr View Post
          Thank you; mine is the earlier, 2 base kit which I specifically shopped for before the newer model was released.
          Then you should have no problems at all. You may have to swap the acrylic baseplate to whichever style base you prefer to use.

While not needed for that particular project, please note that the Porter-Cable edge guide that Home Depot carries, is also compatible with the R2900. Also, I use my R2900 in a Rockler router table top, using the P-C compatible mounting plate. I'm thankful that Ridgid designed a few P-C compatibilities into their router.

CWS

Comment

Working...
          X