X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobbly chuck on brand new hammer drill

I purchased a new hammer drill and impact set from home depot a few days ago. The main reason I got this new drill was because my old Ridgid drill wobbles when you have a bit in the chuck. I have not even used the new one for anything and I noticed this new one has a wobbly chuck worse than my original older used drill. When I say wobbles, it seems like the shaft is bent, or the chuck was not centered when tightened on, but not sure. Its not extremely off, but its enough to make the tool vibrate when just holding. I buy Ridgid for the quality and this does not seem like quality. I have since exchanged out the set at HD and the problem still exists even with a new drill. Are they all like this, or did I happen to get 2 bad ones?

Anyone else have this problem?

I wrote Ridgid and this was their reply:
    There can be a slight wobble in the chuck but should not be much. The longer the bits, the more the wobble will be. You can exchange the kit at Home Depot or have a service center examine the unit to see if the wobble is normal or the item needs to be repaired.

Normal Wobble!!!? What? its brand new! I would expect Ryobi or Harbor Freight to respond like that!

I will exchange at the store one more time to see if it is any better, if not it will be returned for good. Ill let you know.

Re: Wobbly chuck on brand new hammer drill

I read your post and all that came to mind was WTF. So I went out to the shop grabbed four Bosch 18v Brute drills, drill/hammer that we had in cases and checked them all. No wobble on any chuck and the age is roughly seven to four years of age.

Sounds to me like the drill got dropped.

Comment

The "wobble" problem appears to be a problem that pops up here on the forum every few years. Obviously a quality control and assembly challenge for TTI, but it is fixable, usually just requiring the mounting to be loosened and properly retightened, as far as I know. When this gets reported on the forum there is usually a rash of complaints that follow. I too had the same problem with my new at the time 14.4 drill.

It is by no means "NORMAL" and a wobbly chuck is quite worthless... and you'll be miserable with it. Take it back to the store for a swap or to a service center to have it fixed. DON'T keep it and put up with it. Apparently your response from "Ridgid" was from a person who wasn't up on what they should have been.

CWS

Comment

same here, went to HD today and they gave me a new one, but it does the same thing
        the nearest service center is almost 2 hours away and that's not happening... I have no problem going to HD and ask for a new one but how many would I need to go trough until I get a good one?

Comment

i would keep trying them in the store until you get one that works and if they all do it get your money back and wait until a new set come in
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I'm assuming that you know the difference between spindle shaft runout and just simply the outer sleeve of the chuck "wobbling". The former indicates an issue, the latter does not.

Originally posted by Kfederle View Post
            ... its enough to make the tool vibrate when just holding.
            Not indicative of an issue in and of itself. Even my extremely high dollar 18v German made Milwaukee vibrates at full speed and no load.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I'll second Doctordeere's statement.

I have a 12-volt compact drill-driver that looks really wobbly, but it's only the outer sleeve appears so, because it is simply and outside "sleeve" and therefore somewhat sloppy in it's fit and not snug like a solid, machined steel chuck housing. When I put a long drill bit into it, it spins true.

On the 14.4 Volt Drill/Driver that I had purchased a few years ago, the chuck was definitely out of alignment though. A four-inch long drill definitely spun almost a 16th arc at the point end. Totally worthless in that manner, but the local Service Center fixed it without any challenge. My problem was simply procrastination and I kept putting the fix off.

I suppose that when you take this second one back, you could simply tell the "orange apron" about your frustration and together you could just open the next one right there in the store and try it out with a long bit. That would at least save you any more back and forth trips.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, this seems to be an ongoing assembly problem with TTI. Personally, I consider it rather ridiculous that this keeps popping up and I would think they would have multiple checks to ensure that this doesn't happen. While I really love my Ridgid tools, how can this keep re-occuring. Afterall, it's NOT like this is some new-fangled invention and if you can't consistantly put a chuck on straight and true, then maybe they need to re-think the whole process. As a Ridgid fan, I find this a bit embarrassing.

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 01-06-2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                I'm assuming that you know the difference between spindle shaft runout and just simply the outer sleeve of the chuck "wobbling". The former indicates an issue, the latter does not.
                I am talking about wobbling when you put the drill bit in it and is off by a lot at the tip of the bit, tried different bits just to make sure the bit wasn't bent or something

Comment

I had this issue with my X4 hammer drill right out of the box, Ridgid replaced the drill with a new one. The old one was out quite a bit (I measured it with a dial test indicator 4 inches outside of the chuck with a hardened dowel) The replacement drill looked like it was out as well but it turned out to be more the sleeve than the chuck. Still out about .007 but way better than the .015 my original one was out. I have a compact drill I use for most items and the little bitthe hammer drill is out doesn't concern me much as I use it for hammer drilling anyway which isn't as precise as say a regular drilled hole.

Comment

I just got back from Home Depot with another replacement... and guess what? same damn thing...
                    my damn 5 year old ryobi drill spins straight!!!
                    come on now Ridgid!!! are all the x4 hammer drills like that? I love everything about it, except that its wobbly
                    they need to do something about it cuz my local HD won't have any drills left in stock(unless they just put them right back on the shelf)

Comment

I just returned my new fuego drill because of the wobble. I replaced it with the hammer drill/impact combo. The hammer drill has almost no wobble, which is nice. The smaller drill was a bit nicer to use, though.

Comment

so after exchanging the drill one more time, talked to the customer service at Ridgid and they told me to have it sent to the service center, I did that... just got the drill back and I can see that they worked on it, but if it is better now it's very little, basically they couldn't do nothing to it in order to fix it
                        does anyone have this problem? I like the whole package but I don't know if I can live with the drill being wobbly like that...
                        going to call customer service again and see if they have any ideas

Comment

If you are within your 90 day return window, return it. Stop wasting your time, frustration, and potentially alot of your money. Find another brand that does not frustrate you. Every brand has a bad egg now and again, but some have enough to make omelets.

Comment

Originally posted by erngum View Post
                            If you are within your 90 day return window, return it. Stop wasting your time, frustration, and potentially alot of your money. Find another brand that does not frustrate you. Every brand has a bad egg now and again, but some have enough to make omelets.
                            yeah, still within 90 days, thats why trying to figure what to do before its too late to return it

Comment

just an update for you guys
                              I decided to give it another try and exchanged the drill for a new one and of course is doing the same thing, brought it to a different service center and told them the whole story, they said they would measure for runout before sending it back, just called the service center and said that the chuck is good, the shaft is the problem... and Ridgid said that they have parts in stock but they don't want to use any of this batch cuz they are prolly the same, and the new batch(possibly updated parts) wont be in the states till april-may, now the service center put a request for ridgid to send me a new drill, but... what are the chances that the new does the same exact thing? with that said I have only 7 days left to return it to Home Depot or after that its mine no matter what...
                              I don't think I should have to go through all this BS specially for the price of top tools

Comment

Working...
                              X