X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radial arm saw motor trouble

My helper was cross cutting a bunch of 1" pine on my radial arm saw and the blade jammed in the kerf. It took about 5 seconds or so before the power was shut off. Now the motor just hums. Spindle spins freely. The local tool repair shop says the motor needs to be rewound - really? There's a 161-193MFD 110VAC capacitor on the motor. Any chances that this is burnt out? How would I test this?

Any feedback / suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Update: took the motor into a local repair shop today. The capacitor is fine. Need a new motor :-(
    Last edited by gadgetarian; 01-06-2012, 02:11 AM.
    "Good enough" isn't really "good"...

Re: Radial arm saw motor trouble

Gagetarian,

Wow! You didn't mention what brand of RAS you have. Sounds to me like there was no overload circuit built into it though, which is really sort of rotten.

I have an Emerson-made Craftsman RAS which I purchased new, back in 1973. It has served me very well and is about my favorite tool. I must admit that I have "pinched" the blade only a couple of times, thus stalling it... but in both cases, the overload switch tripped (built into the top of the motor housing). That happened a few decades ago and the motor still runs strong. But, I do worry that someday it may just wear out on me and a couple of years ago, I bought a rather neglected one, of the same model, just so that I have a back-up motor and a few other parts.

If you don't mind my asking, how expensive is this "rewind" going to be?

Good luck and welcome to the Ridgid forum,

CWS

Comment

Re: Radial arm saw motor trouble

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      Gagetarian,

Wow! You didn't mention what brand of RAS you have. Sounds to me like there was no overload circuit built into it though, which is really sort of rotten.

I have an Emerson-made Craftsman RAS which I purchased new, back in 1973. It has served me very well and is about my favorite tool. I must admit that I have "pinched" the blade only a couple of times, thus stalling it... but in both cases, the overload switch tripped (built into the top of the motor housing). That happened a few decades ago and the motor still runs strong. But, I do worry that someday it may just wear out on me and a couple of years ago, I bought a rather neglected one, of the same model, just so that I have a back-up motor and a few other parts.

If you don't mind my asking, how expensive is this "rewind" going to be?

Good luck and welcome to the Ridgid forum,

CWS

Thanks for your reply CWS. I have a Craftsman Electronic Cabinetmaker's Series RAS that I purchased new from Sears in 1990. The machine has hardly been used and is in great shape. As a matter of fact it does have a built in OLP circuit which didn't work, *^%#@^*! I can only remember the blade jamming a couple of times before this most recent one that killed it. I'm really quick to get the power off when anything like this ever happens and I've never had a motor failure on any equipment before. Unfortunately my helper isn't so quick.

I called Sears yesterday and I can purchase a new motor for $250 ready to bolt on and go. I found a really good VFD / electric motor shop in town and I'm waiting for an official diagnosis and estimate from them. When I spoke with the fellow today he thought I might be looking at a worst case scenario of somewhere around $100 - $125 for a rewind. I'll make sure they replace the OL while they're at it!

I'll post another update when all this is resolved.

Cheers,
      Rob
      "Good enough" isn't really "good"...

Comment

Working...
      X