Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
A Question For DaveTTi Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Question For DaveTTi

    Dave, I have a 14.4V Ridgid Drill/Driver and 14.4V Ridgid Impact Driver which are both registered into the LLSA Program. According to the Power Tool Section of this website it seems that there are no longer any 14.4V tools available in the Ridgid line. If that is the case, what kind of repair service and more importantly battery replacement availability can I expect down the road? Is there now or is there going to be a program put into place to handle this situation when it comes up?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.


  • #2
    Re: A Question For DaveTTi

    Most of those discontinued lines still have small amounts produced for such warranty replacements (batteries specifically). I got a few replacement 24v and 18v nicad batteries last year and they were date coded 2011.

    The other parts (brushes, switches, etc.) should have extra inventory in stock for years to come. In the extreme case that they were not able to replace a part years down the line it would come down to getting a hold of the right person to talk to for an upgrade to a current line.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: A Question For DaveTTi

      Badger, thought you might like this...

      14.4V power | www.aeg-powertools.eu

      I want to find a way to buy the AEG tools and get them here...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: A Question For DaveTTi

        Alpha, IIRC at one time AEG owned Milwaukee and sold it to TTI. It's possible that TTI might have also acquired AEG in that same deal. Sure looks like TTI rebadged some of the AEG tools with the RIDGID badge doesn't it?
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: A Question For DaveTTi

          Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          Alpha, IIRC at one time AEG owned Milwaukee and sold it to TTI. It's possible that TTI might have also acquired AEG in that same deal. Sure looks like TTI rebadged some of the AEG tools with the RIDGID badge doesn't it?
          Sure does. I would love to get some of those 14v Li-on batteries for the half dozen 14v tools my dad has in the shop. They are great drills, just dead batteries (were reconditioned tools, so no more warranty on the batteries)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: A Question For DaveTTi

            Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
            Sure does. I would love to get some of those 14v Li-on batteries for the half dozen 14v tools my dad has in the shop. They are great drills, just dead batteries (were reconditioned tools, so no more warranty on the batteries)
            I couldn't agree more. For my purposes my 14.4V tools are more than adequate and the impact driver is well, awesome. I can't imagine how an 18V impact driver could perform any better than my 14.4V. As a matter of fact, I'm so pleased with my 14.4V tools that that was the reason why I posed my original question to DaveTTi.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: A Question For DaveTTi

              Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              ... IIRC at one time AEG owned Milwaukee and sold it to TTI. It's possible that TTI might have also acquired AEG in that same deal.
              Not exactly...
              Milwaukee and AEG were both owned by Atlas Copco and were both bought by TTI in 2005. They always were, and still remain, independent of one another.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: A Question For DaveTTi

                Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                Not exactly...
                Milwaukee and AEG were both owned by Atlas Copco and were both bought by TTI in 2005. They always were, and still remain, independent of one another.
                That is correct. AEG and Ridgid are now pretty identical, AEG is just an established name elsewhere and Ridgid is an established name here in the states. I'll try to get an answer next week if there's any compatibility of the cordless lines. I could guarantee they use the same Samsung cells in the 18v at least.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: A Question For DaveTTi

                  Originally posted by DaveTTi View Post
                  That is correct. AEG and Ridgid are now pretty identical, AEG is just an established name elsewhere and Ridgid is an established name here in the states. I'll try to get an answer next week if there's any compatibility of the cordless lines. I could guarantee they use the same Samsung cells in the 18v at least.
                  Dave, if you could find out if there is ANYWAY we here state side could purchase the 14.4v Li-on batteries, that would be awesome. I hate to toss good tools because of crappy batteries. I am sure as hell not putting money into NiCd batteries for them, waste of money! And, by the looks of it, AEG now has the "hyper-lithum" batteries in the 14.4v flavor!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: A Question For DaveTTi

                    The "AEG" brand is owned by TTI... check the map here( TTI | TTI Worldwide ) and click on any of the major "continents".

                    What you won't see is "Ridgid", as it is NOT a brand "owned" by TTI... just licensed from Emerson Electric for use on TTI products marketed here in the U.S. and Canada.

                    With that in mind, I'm pretty much convinced that a "Ridgid" branded tool would be almost identical to the AEG produced products. I would find it difficult to understand why AEG or one of the other companies within the TTI empire, would retool just so they can stick the "Ridgid" label on it.

                    The stationary product line pretty much existed as Emerson-designed products prior to the 2003 licensing agreement. But even then, Emerson's "Ridgid" was being subcontracted, pretty much. As far as I can remember, there were no hand-held "Ridgid" woodworking power tools prior to 2003 and these were introduced as part of the TTI licensing in 2003.

                    I'm hopeful that "DaveTTI" will confirm my understanding of this product line. It would be nice to know (from my point of view), that AEG and it's product development and current market offerings might be a reflection of the future and even the stability and support structure behind the current "Ridgid" branded tools that we use.

                    CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 01-07-2012, 06:45 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: A Question For DaveTTi

                      Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                      The "AEG" brand is owned by TTI... check the map here( TTI | TTI Worldwide ) and click on any of the major "continents".

                      What you won't see is "Ridgid", as it is NOT a brand "owned" by TTI... just licensed from Emerson Electric for use on TTI products marketed here in the U.S. and Canada.

                      With that in mind, I'm pretty much convinced that a "Ridgid" branded tool would be almost identical to the AEG produced products. I would find it difficult to understand why AEG or one of the other companies within the TTI empire, would retool just so they can stick the "Ridgid" label on it.

                      The stationary product line pretty much existed as Emerson-designed products prior to the 2003 licensing agreement. But even then, Emerson's "Ridgid" was being subcontracted, pretty much. As far as I can remember, there were no hand-held "Ridgid" woodworking power tools prior to 2003 and these were introduced as part of the TTI licensing in 2003.

                      I'm hopeful that "DaveTTI" will confirm my understanding of this product line. It would be nice to know (from my point of view), that AEG and it's product development and current market offerings might be a reflection of the future and even the stability and support structure behind the current "Ridgid" branded tools that we use.

                      CWS
                      That would be good to know. The 18v SDS hammer looks NICE, wish it was here! Maybe out buddy "Andy" from down under could take a look at this stuff first hand "down under" as this AEG is sold through the Bunnings Hardware in AU.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: A Question For DaveTTi

                        It sorta looks like someone has put a muzzle on DaveTTi. His status is now listed as guest. That's too bad as it was nice there for awhile to have a representative of TTI contributing to the board. There used to be a couple of Delta guys that were very active members over at WOODNET but after one of the times Delta was sold they were basically told they had to quit posting as representatives of Delta. IIRC, one of them totally disappeared from the board while the other one reregistered under a different name and did do some posting but not as a representative of Delta. It's just too bad that these companies are so afraid of liability issues that they have to resort to actions like that. I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate that is what happened here.
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: A Question For DaveTTi

                          I was thinking the same thing when I started re-reading this post. Oh well, I suppose having an inside man was too good to be true. Too bad nobody got his contact info before it got nuked. Even if he is gone from the company, insider info still works for a while.
                          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: A Question For DaveTTi

                            Oh Well.... Thanks DaveTTI

                            I feel really bad if you did end up taking a hit on this. I figure you were only looking out for the products of your company. I don't really understand why a question of "Ridgid" vs "AEG" brand names on orange tools should really be a sensitive subject though... or at least one would think?

                            CWS

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: A Question For DaveTTi

                              Heck, I was going to ask him if he could possibly talk to the folks at the factory that makes these different brands under TTI, and see if they could run off a few heavy duty impact wrenches and grinders that would take our Ridgid 18volt batteries? Frank

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X