X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a warranty claim...

So I purchased a cordless drill back in January of 2010, and unfortunately didn't realize I had to cut the UPC code etc so no las for me! Thankfully I found my receipt given I also forgot to register the product (very unlike me, so must have been a brain cramp!). One battery is defective and won't charge and the other barely holds a charge even though I've barely used the drill. In any event, is there anything I should know before finding an authorized dealer to make a claim under the 3 year warranty? Don't want to drive all the way to a dealer only to realize I did something wrong! I did register the product now that I found the receipt.

Thanks!

Re: Making a warranty claim...

You should only need your receipt to receive service under the 3 Year Warranty and don't let them tell you any differently.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

pbc,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum.

First thing I think I would do (even though it's been a full year), is call Ridgid Customer Support just on the off chance that they still might let you register for the LLSA. I can't say that a whole year would be allowable, but I have read where some purchasers have been quite late in their recognition that the LLSA is available.

Now, before I'd trek too many miles (like even across town) to a service center, I'd call them first. A phone call always saves you a lot of time and it gives you the opportunity to head off any problems or confusion over any misconceptions on the part of the Service Center individual.

Once you have the "expectations" cleared away with the Service Center, you could just simply UPS the product... all too often that is the most economic way to get the product there. Once fixed, the Service Center will send it back to you. You should mention that possibility when you talk to the Service Center, so they can expect receiving it that way. Also you should clearly have an understanding as to exactly how much of your tool you need to send. Often they want everything, including the tool, the charger, and the batteries. That may be requested just to make sure that everything is working properly and it isn't the tool or the charger that is causing premature failure of the battery.

Lastly, batteries work best when used often. Batteries that are rarely used (as you alude too), just don't see their best longevity. I don't know the scientific reason for that, but I figuratively compare it to muscles... you don't use em', they waste away.

I hope this helps, and once again, Welcome to the Ridgid forum,

CWS

Comment

Thanks guys, will call them today.

CWSmithUnforunately it's been a full 2 years now (Jan 29 2010 was the purchase date!).

At least I managed to find the receipt. I actually couldn't at first and had to go to Home Depot to see if they could track it down, then, miraculously, remembered my AMEX card number from back then which I had cancelled a year ago and they brought up the receipt.

Comment

Assume I won't need to pay for anything? I.e. shipping or "processing" charges?

Comment

If you have a local service center than shipping should be no problem. If you have to send it to a service center out of the area then you would be responsible for the shipping costs to get it to the service center. As far as I know there should never be any kind of a processing fee where warranty work is concerned.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'm in a similar situation. I purchased a Ridgid R9201 combo (18V recipro saw and hammer drill) in 2006. My reason for choosing Ridgid was the excellent Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA). I recently realized that I was supposed to register these tools for the LSA. In my case, I still have the original store receipt and packaging (including the UPC/bar code). I e-mailed Ridgid Customer Service to confirm that the LSA will still be honored if I complete the registration procedures. I received the following response: "Not an option. The coverage had to be obtained during the first 90 days of ownerhsip." No, there wasn't more to the message (e.g., sorry, because..., etc.), that was it. So, not only was the content of the message disappointing, the message itself, in my opinion, was plain rude as a customer communication.

I've asked for an explanation of this policy. I paid a much higher price for the Ridgid tools specifically for the lifetime warranty. It's not clear to me how registering these products within 90 days makes any difference to their robustness. If Ridgid truly refuses to honor the warranty for which I paid, they have lost a Ridgid customer for life. It seems to me that the 90 day registration policy exists solely to limit their exposure to warranty costs. Well, this doesn't meet my hurdle for good business ethics. If they don't bend on this, I'll direct my future tool budget to another manufacturer.

I'll post back when I get Ridgid's response to my follow-up inquiry and let you know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                If you have a local service center than shipping should be no problem. If you have to send it to a service center out of the area then you would be responsible for the shipping costs to get it to the service center. As far as I know there should never be any kind of a processing fee where warranty work is concerned.
                So far so good. Went to the service center, showed the receipt, and they replaced the 3.0 battery as they had stock but had to order in the 1.5 which should hopefully be here this week.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinsw View Post
                  I'm in a similar situation. I purchased a Ridgid R9201 combo (18V recipro saw and hammer drill) in 2006. My reason for choosing Ridgid was the excellent Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA). I recently realized that I was supposed to register these tools for the LSA. In my case, I still have the original store receipt and packaging (including the UPC/bar code). I e-mailed Ridgid Customer Service to confirm that the LSA will still be honored if I complete the registration procedures. I received the following response: "Not an option. The coverage had to be obtained during the first 90 days of ownerhsip." No, there wasn't more to the message (e.g., sorry, because..., etc.), that was it. So, not only was the content of the message disappointing, the message itself, in my opinion, was plain rude as a customer communication.

I've asked for an explanation of this policy. I paid a much higher price for the Ridgid tools specifically for the lifetime warranty. It's not clear to me how registering these products within 90 days makes any difference to their robustness. If Ridgid truly refuses to honor the warranty for which I paid, they have lost a Ridgid customer for life. It seems to me that the 90 day registration policy exists solely to limit their exposure to warranty costs. Well, this doesn't meet my hurdle for good business ethics. If they don't bend on this, I'll direct my future tool budget to another manufacturer.

I'll post back when I get Ridgid's response to my follow-up inquiry and let you know what happens.

Odd, I just received a notification of your post in my inbox today but it appears to have been posted a long time ago!

At first I was ticked, but realized it's just a requirement of the warranty. Many warranties ask you to complete forms online "in the first X days" or the warranty is void. In this case Ridgid seems to want you to also mail in a copy of the UPC code and receipt. Very "old school", but a policy is a policy. Would be nice if they permitted customers who still had the reciept and packaging to do this, but at the same time from an accounting perspective they need to ensure they have a proper liability accrued for warranties. Allowing customers forever more to apply would make this difficult. Not an excuse, but reality unfortunately.

Ridgid to my knowledge are the only ones who actually have a "life time warranty" arrangement on their products on top of an already great 3 year standard warranty (most have 1 or maybe 2 years on the battery and 3 years on the tool), so hard to argue about nuances.

Unfortunately for me I didn't register either, and I actually just sold the drill and "new" batteries I got back for $100 which is pretty decent as I purchased it on sale for $150 2 years ago, and purchased a new Dewalt set (compact drill/impact driver) for $179 as I wanted a smaller drill. Would have gone Ridgid again for the LFA, but they didnt have anything remotely close in price.

Comment

Working...
                  X