X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v Reciprocating Saw battery life

I've just purchased the 5pc set and was using the Reciprocating Saw to cut up some tree limbs cause my chain saw is in the shop. I wouldn't have done this but I was told it works good for small limbs. I had three fully charged batteries and they lasted no more than 5 minutes going none stop. This just doesn't seem right. Are there any thoughts, should I take this thing back or just not use it for cutting limbs?

Re: 18v Reciprocating Saw battery life

From my experience, cordless reciprocating saws just suck, batteries at least. They are fine for small stuff but nothing beats a corded saw. The only cordless reciprocating saw worth a damn is the 24v that Ridgid axed. It's as close to a corded unit that I have used.

Comment

What kind of blade are you using? What diameter limb are you trying to cut? I sold my corded reciprocating saw because my 18volt nicad Ridgid works so well. I bet with the right pruning blade the saw would make quick work of a limb up to five or six inches in diameter. One last question, were the batteries stored in a very cold environment? I know the new hyper lithiums are supposed to not be affected by the cold but I asked this because I had fully charged Ryobi lithiums give up after a minute or two the other day and they were stored in the cold. Frank

Comment

No the batteries where not cold but it was the first time i've used them. I was told it can take up to 5 recharges to get the best out of them. I was trying to cut through a maple tree that has a lot of nails in it which is probably almost 24in in diameter. So I really wasn't cutting small limbs. haha I was a bimetal blade for wood and metal.

Comment

Wow! No that's not gonna work. 24" in diameter and lots of nails? Come on, give the tool a fighting chance! Take some time to pull the nails and use a pruning blade, or better yet, pull the nails and wait to get your chainsaw back. Small limbs?Frank

Comment

Got 5 minutes of cordless battery power under high loads using the wrong blade cutting a tree trunk is not bad.....use the chain saw or an axe. The thermal protecting circuit probably kicked in to protect the batteries.

Comment

Well I was cutting smaller limbs at on point haha. Anyways I would pull the nails out if I could. I bought the house 2 years ago and cut down the Maple last year. Come to find out the previous owner had a thing for bird houses when the tree was young. Those nails are about 4 inches deep into the tree. Thanks for all the responses, I didn't know the battery had a function like that to protect its self.

Comment

It sounds to me like operator error, sorry. As previously mentioned, you are using the wrong blade, wrong tool for the job, abusing the tool you are using, are cutting "wet" hardwood and should be using a chainsaw. The batteries will loose charge when stored in the cold, the batteries definition of cold is different than ours. The x4 batteries Do not loose as much of a charge as fast as the older generation batteries but it does happen. After your batteries have been cycled a few times, I personally would expect more run time from them. I have tried pruning trees with a sawzall on several occasions, would suggest small limbs only with your typical 10TPI bi metal construction blade. It's hard work even for a corded saw unless you use the right blade. As you know it will cut a limb as long as the blade, but why on earth would you be cutting a 10" limb with a sawzall? That limb will break half way through, twist, and wipe out the ladder you are standing on.

It my .02 cent opinion that renting a chainsaw is worth it's weight in gold for this kind of job.
                Last edited by masterbeavis; 01-11-2012, 12:51 PM.
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
                X