X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reconsidering my x4 combo purchase

Coming from Ryobi tools I love my set. The x4 Reciprocating saw is awesome it may be the best sawzall I have ever used.

Comment

I agree that the Ridgid recip saw is awesome, I used the x3 set for a long time and had no problems with any of the tools. I am not questioning the quality of the ridgid tools, only questioning why they refuse to offer more variety in the 18 volt line. Frank, was there any explanation as to why?, or was it just sorry, but NO?

Comment

I just sent an email to Ridgid asking for an official reason why they will not expand on the 18 volt line. I tried my best to keep my sarcasm to a minimum. I'll let you all know if, when, and what the answer is.

Comment

Originally posted by johnw48 View Post
          I just sent an email to Ridgid asking for an official reason why they will not expand on the 18 volt line. I tried my best to keep my sarcasm to a minimum. I'll let you all know if, when, and what the answer is.
          Two words.... Home Depot....

Comment

I agree that the Ridgid recip saw is awesome, I used the x3 set for a long time and had no problems with any of the tools. I am not questioning the quality of the ridgid tools, only questioning why they refuse to offer more variety in the 18 volt line. Frank, was there any explanation as to why?, or was it just sorry, but NO?
            I've been complaining and questioning for years and if I remember correctly the answer was something like, Ridgid has no plans to make the tools you've mentioned". Not those exact words, just made it clear to me that if I needed a cordless grinder or heavy duty impact I should not expect them from Ridgid. Even if home depot is behind the decison not to expand the tool line, it makes even less sense. Since the Ridgid line is exclusive to home depot wouldn't you expect they would want to compete against every other brand? What better way than to offer tool for tool at a good price with the LSA? Frank

Comment

Right on Frank, coudn't have said it better myself. Whether it is Ridgid or HD that's behind the decision, it makes no marketing sense to me. I was in HD this morning and they have a Ryobi 18 volt angle grinder for $39.00 proudly on display, Granted, Ryobi probably doesn't have the quality or longevity that one would desire, but sometimes you have to sacrifice and choose between quality, price and AVAILABILITY. I was looking at a Milwaukee 4 pc combo that has the tools that I need with the option of adding the grinder and impact. Looks like I'll be trading my X4 in for the red one! If HD is behind the marketing decision, then they will not get hurt if I return my X4 and buy the Milwaukee from them, so perhaps I will make my Milwaukee purchase elsewhere. I think the only way to make them listen is to hit them in the pocket!Thanks to everyone for the input.

Comment

The main reason why I stuck with the orange tools was the two HDs in my area had lots of returned kits they were willing to sell batteries out of the kits, and cheap kits on Craigslist. Otherwise I would have either stayed with dewalt(had 7 good batteries still) or went to Mikita. They have every tool under the sun!
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

The Milwaukee 4 piece combo kit I am considering comes with sawzall, hammer drill, impact driver, floodlight, two red lithium batteries, charger, and tool bag. If I add the heavy duty 1/2" square drive impact wrench and the 4 1/2" angle grinder, I will be around $600 That's appears to be a great deal considering I just paid $500 for the x4, WITHOUT the grinder and impact wrench, both of which are NOT AVAILABLE. So I am seriously leaning toward the red. I would love to hear everyone's opinion and experience with milwaukee, as far as performance and warranty. thanks

Comment

By the way, I looked at dewalt but the combo's with a decent price all had the XRP nicad's. The dewalt kits with the lithium were outrageously priced, and same with Makita.

Comment

The Milwaukee 4 piece combo kit I am considering comes with sawzall, hammer drill, impact driver, floodlight, two red lithium batteries, charger, and tool bag. If I add the heavy duty 1/2" square drive impact wrench and the 4 1/2" angle grinder, I will be around $600 That's appears to be a great deal considering I just paid $500 for the x4, WITHOUT the grinder and impact wrench, both of which are NOT AVAILABLE. So I am seriously leaning toward the red. I would love to hear everyone's opinion and experience with milwaukee, as far as performance and warranty. thanks
                      Sounds like a great deal and you are getting the tools you need! Milwaukee corded were the best tools I ever owned and used with the exception of Hilti for continuous on the job hammer drilling. I have no complaints with my Ridgid nicad kit, still working fine, but if I want those other tools, I'm forced to either modify them to use my Ridgid batteries, or use yet another battery style. You are doing the wise thing. Good luck with your new tools. Don't let that stop you from posting here, all are welcome. Darn it Ridgid! In my opinion very good tools and a great Internet site, why not give us more??? Frank

Comment

The Milwaukee 4 piece combo kit I am considering comes with sawzall, hammer drill, impact driver, floodlight, two red lithium batteries, charger, and tool bag. If I add the heavy duty 1/2" square drive impact wrench and the 4 1/2" angle grinder, I will be around $600
                        The 4 piece kit is like $550 on its own, are the other bare tools $75 each? Where are you finding this deal? FYI Milwaukee, Ridgid, and ryobi are made by the same company, but theoretically are made with better parts.
                        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Thanks Frank, for your help and kindness. It is not easy for me to make the switch, I've been a ridgid fan for a long time. The more I look into the Milwaukee 18v line up, the more aggrevated I get with Ridgid. Milwaukee not only has the 1/2" drive impact with 450 ft lbs torque, but they also have a 3/8" drive impact for less challenging jobs. And, they have the angle grinder and the hackzall. All the tools someone in my line of work would ever need. So, as I said, changing colors is not easy for me, but my orange IS turning red. Thanks again

Comment

The 4 pc kit that I referenced is $399 at HD, and $345 on amazon.com The bare tool grinder and the impact wrench are each a little over one hunderd dollars at amazon. Like I said, that would put it around $600 for all.

Comment

And, if Ridgid, Milwaukee, and Ryobi are made by the same company, then AGAIN, why on God's green earth does ridgid refuse to offer more 18v tools. EVEN RYOBI has an angle grinder.???????? It's AMAZING, and a very destructive marketing strategy.

Comment

And, if Ridgid, Milwaukee, and Ryobi are made by the same company, then AGAIN, why on God's green earth does ridgid refuse to offer more 18v tools. EVEN RYOBI has an angle grinder.???????? It's AMAZING, and a very destructive marketing strategy.
                                Ryobi and Ridgid power tools (not the plumbing tools) are exclusively marketed by Home Depot. Home Depot likely dictates what they manufacture and they likely dictate only what they think they can sell in large numbers. HD probably knows that they can sell many more $39 Ryobi cordless grinders to home owners and gadget collectors (such as myself) than they could possibly sell Ridgid grinders to professionals.

Comment

Working...
                                X