Reconsidering my x4 combo purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reconsidering my x4 combo purchase

Congrats John milwaukee is supérior to ridgid " Orange power tools" in everyway un sûre toi will be happy with thé switch un up to 15 milwaukee tools had * few issues but they Have fixed them no questions asked... Seanny

Comment

Thanks Seanny

Comment

Well guys, I did it! I Went to HD this morning and returned my x4 combo. It was difficult, had a knot in my stomach as if I was bringing my dog to the vet to be euthanized. But it had to be done. They asked me why I was returning my unused X4 and I explained that Ridgid has a very limited selection of 18 volt tools and that I was going to switch to another brand. So, they gave me back my $530.00 and I left. I just finished ordering my new Milwaukee 4 pc. red lithium combo with sawzall, hammer drill, impact driver, floodlight, 2 batteries, and charger. To that order I added a bare 4 1/2" angle grinder and a 1/2" high torque impact wrench, all for a total of $610.00, which is only $80.00 more than I had paid for the X4, and now I will have every tool that I need. I decided not to make my purchase at HD because if they are behind the Ridgid decision, I do not want to reward them with my power tool business. Thanks to all who responded to my post, and I will keep you informed on the performance of my new red tools.

Comment

Originally posted by johnw48 View Post
          For about 6 years now, Ridgid has not responded to consumers many requests for an angle grinder or impact wrench in their 18 volt line up. However, amazingly they did see a need to introduce an 18 volt caulking gun! What's next, an 18 volt paintbrush?
          More interesting is the fact that the caulking gun then got clearanced for 29 bux, and maybe even less.

For 29 bux I picked one up just to say I have one. I did just use it and its not half bad, just a little heavy (I do love the fact that I can use it for either size caulk tubes without an adapter)

And while we're at it, I know Milwaukee and DeWalt might be better (up for debate, of course) but I dont think Ive paid anywhere near full price for any one of my Ridgid 18V tools. From the 5 pc kit I got on clearance for 269 (circ saw, recip saw, drill/driver, impact driver, worklight, with 3 batteries and dual bay charger), to the caulking gun for $29.50, to the jigsaw for $0.01 (yes, ONE PENNY!!!). By now the set owes me almost nothing, yet it keeps on chugging.

My 14.4V Milwaukee set lasted a whole year before the batteries tanked. The drill was really nice, but it doesnt tend to do much with dead battery packs that I wont replace because they cost more than the drill. I got lucky there, they had safety issues with the original batteries....gave me brand new ones in exchange for the ones that were already dead. I took that as a sign and sold the drill + batteries and replaced it with the Ridgid set I have now.
          Last edited by chrisexv6; 01-18-2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
            More interesting is the fact that the caulking gun then got clearanced for 29 bux, and maybe even less.

For 29 bux I picked one up just to say I have one. I did just use it and its not half bad, just a little heavy (I do love the fact that I can use it for either size caulk tubes without an adapter)
            I had one, and it was awesome for doing subfloor adhesive, but the ability to use both quart and smaller tubes is its down fall. The smaller plunger doesn't cover enough area and can cause the plug in the tube to twist and puke caulking into the gearing. Mine is in pieces because of it. I would suggest putting a larger plunger on it when using quart tubes.

Comment

I'm happy for the guys who have a use for the cordless caulking gun, but I don't care if they were handing them out for free. I need cordless tools for which I have a use. A cordless grinder and heavy duty impact wrench are vastly more in demand by tradespeople, business and homeowners. I also have no complaints about my Ridgid cordless tools, they have held up very well and made my life much easier. Why they offer a very limited variety, is beyond me? Why Ryobi, DeWalt,Milwaukee, Bosch and Makita offer expanded tool lines and Ridgid does not makes no sense. It's like having two icecream stores next to eachother, one sells only vanilla and chocolate, the other sells 31 flavors. You take you child to the store with only two flavors and he asks "Daddy, if the price is no different than the other store, why am I stuck with a choice of only two flavors? why can't we go to the other store?" the kid is right. A child could see how little sense it makes to offer so few tools compared to the other brands sold in the same store.

Comment

Frank, what an outstanding analogy. The point I've been trying to make for days, you summed it up in one posting. Like you, I also have no complaints about Ridgid tools as far as value and performance. I've purchased and used Ridgid tools, both corded and cordless for a long long time. Like you, my complaint is not the performance, just the lack of selection. Apparently, the owner of the store selling only vanilla and chocolate (and maybe "orange" sherbert) cannot see that the 31 flavor guy will eventually put him out of business! I have stated from jump that I hated returning my X4 combo, but I had no choice. The Milwaukee 18 volt tools that I just purchased give me all the tools I currently need in my scrap metal business, including, of course, the angle grinder and impact wrench, plus a never ending selection beyond that, including an 18v hackzall and portable band saw. By the way, ironically, I DO own a Ridgid 18 volt cauking gun, but only because I bought it on craig's list for 10 bucks thinking I can sell it and make a few bucks. Anyway, thanks Frank for understanding and supporting my position. Because of people like you, I'll continue to attend this orange forum even though I'll be dressed in red!

Comment

Chris, I'm hoping I won't have any problems with my new Milwaukee's, but I'm not that concerned because they do have a decent warranty, not a LSA like Ridgid, but the tools are covered for 5 years and the batteries for 3 years, and I have an authorized service center 5 miles away. But, what I really wanted to ask you is "how did you get the jigsaw for a penny?

Comment

Originally posted by johnw48 View Post
                    Chris, I'm hoping I won't have any problems with my new Milwaukee's, but I'm not that concerned because they do have a decent warranty, not a LSA like Ridgid, but the tools are covered for 5 years and the batteries for 3 years, and I have an authorized service center 5 miles away. But, what I really wanted to ask you is "how did you get the jigsaw for a penny?
                    Heh.....HD is supposed to pull penny items off the shelf (it means they are no longer selling them and should be destroyed or returned to vendor for credit). Lets just say a couple of my local stores are a little slow at keeping up with that. The items are NOT allowed to be sold, AT ALL. That is, if you walked up to an actual cashier they would ring it up, see it there for a penny and either sell it to you for the last price (before it hit a penny) or say sorry no can do. Luckily, we have self checkout lanes! Did you know that a penny, after sales tax, is still a penny? Mute the self checkout, ring it up for a penny, pay (with a penny!) and leave. I had other stuff to get there that night, but I made sure to dump the jigsaw in my truck and then come back in.

Funny thing is thats not even the best penny deal Ive gotten.....I ended up with a full 5 pc 18V Lithion Ryobi kit for a penny! They went from the P844 kit to P845 kit, the absolute only difference being the box it came in. The 844 kit was cleared out, my local store happened to have one left just sitting there. Normally 250 (it still is, actually....now up to the P846), got it for a penny. I pondered selling it, but for a penny its a great little kit to have......especially now that Ryobi seems to be "outrunning" Ridgid with the tools. Ryobis *18V* cordless oscillating tool is a lot more handy to me (even with bigger size because of the battery) than the Ridgid 12V will ever be. Plus it can use the Ridgid attachments too. Only thing I hate is that the compact 18V battery keeps dying. The one in the kit was dead out of the box, I actually went back to HD and got a replacement (luckily they didnt ask for the receipt!), but even the replacement is now dead. ive read a newer version charger might be able to give it a kick in the pants to get it to charge again, but Im holding off on buying it because that will drastically increase the investment I have into my 0.01 kit

Comment

Chris, I'm very impressed. The only word I can think of to describe your HD shopping method is "brilliant"! As far as Ryobi goes, I've had many Ryobi 18v tools and, like you, the only problem I really had with them was the batteries suck. But as far as the performance, I really never had one break down. And, UNLIKE RIDGID, they certainly have a decent selection of tools available including an angle grinder and 1/2" impact wrench, and the other big plus is the price, which is well below the other major brands. But let's face it, if you trace the family tree back to the top, many of the major brands are all made by the same company, different color, same tool, and whether they're orange, red, yellow, or blue, they're ALL made in CHINA. Believe me, I really had to talk myself into investing $600 for a set of Chinese tools!

Comment

I have a similar shopping method at HD, surfing the black hole as the Department Manager calls it.. Stuff gets returned, nothing wrong with it, sits in overhead, it gets marked down, it sits, gets marked down some more, eventually it gets sold or u score it for dirt cheap. They changed how things work, now my local items get sent to arizona to some buyer down there instead of back to stores, so I wont be scoring stuff like I did today as often or at all. $50, it was the old display.

The batteries are bricks, the light is missing the bulb and the lens hardware, and the charger is not original to the kit(well used and abused), but otherwise its all new.
                        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Wow, what a super score for 50 bucks! Wow again!

Comment

Yeah, I was surprised as well, I was expecting $200 or so when I asked... I have bought 24V hammer drill (bare) for $5, the X3 light for $10, 24V saw for $10, 1.5ah batteries for $5-20, and the 3.0 for anywhere from $5 to 40, and the bags for free to $5 each... I get the batteries they got ripped off on for free (the ones the cashier does not check to see how old they are when somebody returns a kit.)

Nowadays I dont know if I will be able to get these deals anymore, somebody is buying this stuff and selling the returns elsewhere.

Comment

yeah, they're probably re-packaging and selling the kits on line as "new". One could certainly make a lot of money doing that given the prices they're scoring it for.

Comment

on ebay there is a place out of NY that is selling corded, X3 and X4 stuff, they have ALOT of it. I think that is where the east coast stuff is going. I am keeping an eye on their store for goodies. I have seen some good stuff sell pretty cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X