Reconsidering my x4 combo purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reconsidering my x4 combo purchase

I love Ridgid corded stuff, they have much more selection than the cordless line. I have the 7" angle grinder and I love it. So if you ever feel like sharing that info, I would like to know the name of the ebay seller, but if you'd rather keep it to yourself, I understand.

Comment

eBay My World - empire_liquidators
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Thank you very much, I've come across that place a few times and always seemed to have a lot of harbor freight junk, but I'll have to check it out again. Thanks again

Comment

I don't get Ridgid. My first purchase from them was a 24v XLI kit that I have had for almost 5 years now, and they have always worked great. Since then I was able to get the circular saw, jigsaw, caulking gun, handheld planer, cordless wetvac and impact. All have worked fine and I've only had swap out a couple of the batteries, which was no hassle. I can understand if they decided to drop the 24v line, but why drop all those tools you were already making. Why not continue to expand on them? It just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Home depot is the only major retail outlet for the Ridgid, when home depot says it is not selling good enough or has too many returns, they discontinue it, it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by johnw48 View Post
              I just sent an email to Ridgid asking for an official reason why they will not expand on the 18 volt line. I tried my best to keep my sarcasm to a minimum. I'll let you all know if, when, and what the answer is.
              Most likely there will be no answer I am sorry to say.
              It just isn't in their nature to respond to customers. The tools may be good but the service sucks.

I am still waiting for an answer to an email sent almost two weeks ago and another on a different tool from over two years ago.

If you scrape the paint on that RIDGID caulking gun you might find some Ryobi blue underneath.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 02-21-2012, 03:48 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

We keep going over this and it's always the same, why does Ridgid not compete tool for tool with Ryobi, Milwaukee and the rest? Home Depot sells Ryobi and DeWalt heavy duty 18volt impacts, why would a Ridgid model not sell? On the contrary, home depot could price it to out sell the competition and Ridgid could build it to spec right up there with the big boys! Same for a cordless grinder and some of the other very popular tools Ryobi, Milwaukee and the others sell. What makes home depot or Ridgid think they would not or could not sell as well as other brands offering such tools? The crazy part is that Ridgid is a home depot exclusive, which makes a thinking person wonder why they would limit the line? Ridgid has this great hyper lithium battery, LSA agreement, exclusive with home depot and yet lacks the variety of every other brand! ??????

Comment

Maybe they have studied it and data shows that the tools they offer are the ones which are most profitable. The other tools which users find handy may be ones which do not survive or have maintenance issues which lead to repeated repairs which cuts into profits significantly. So they only offer the tools that yield them the most profit and maybe one or two 'must haves' to make the lineup attractive at all to the average purchaser.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    Maybe they have studied it and data shows that the tools they offer are the ones which are most profitable. The other tools which users find handy may be ones which do not survive or have maintenance issues which lead to repeated repairs which cuts into profits significantly. So they only offer the tools that yield them the most profit and maybe one or two 'must haves' to make the lineup attractive at all to the average purchaser.
                    Bob, I don't know maybe you are right? I keep thinking of all the cordless grinders being used nowadays to cut locks and remove parts and materials in salvage yards and around the house. I know there are plenty of folks who use the heavy duty cordless impact wrenches, and if Ryobi can offer them and profit why not Ridgid? You could also look at it this way, by offering a more thorough lineup you not only attract the average purchaser but you might also pickup the more serious user who might be willing to give Ridgid a try if they had the tools he or she needed. I think every time someone buys a Ryobi or Milwaukee kit or tool because Ridgid does not offer it, Ridgid loses sales. Ridgid loses that sale and any future sale of more tools or accessories for that kit. Frank

Comment

That might be what they are doing, but it doesn't make much sense. Obviously other companies are making money selling these tools. And the more tools you have, the more batteries and chargers you are going to need, which is even more money. Look how many people just on this forum are begging them to make these tools. Look how many here have gone to another brand because they don't make what they need. There is no telling how many people have gone into HD looking to buy tools, only to choose another brand simply because of the lack of offerings by Ridgid. I have enjoyed my Ridgid tools very much. I use them everyday in a construction trade, and I feel they are as good a quality as any. But if I were find myself looking for some new tools, I probably wouldn't buy Ridgid just for this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        We keep going over this and it's always the same, why does Ridgid not compete tool for tool with Ryobi, Milwaukee and the rest?
                        I was told recently that Ryobi is also a HD exclusive, and they put all of their eggs into the one+ basket and are not interested in a duplicate line if tools.

Ridgid dreams up the idea, HD looks at it and gives it a yes or no answer.

Comment

Ryobi really hit it out of the park with their one+. I have a couple of their lithiums and if I really needed a heavy duty impact cheap and quick, their's is only $99. May not be the strongest but at that price it would do just fine for a lot of folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hottrodd View Post
                            That might be what they are doing, but it doesn't make much sense. Obviously other companies are making money selling these tools. And the more tools you have, the more batteries and chargers you are going to need, which is even more money. Look how many people just on this forum are begging them to make these tools. Look how many here have gone to another brand because they don't make what they need. There is no telling how many people have gone into HD looking to buy tools, only to choose another brand simply because of the lack of offerings by Ridgid. I have enjoyed my Ridgid tools very much. I use them everyday in a construction trade, and I feel they are as good a quality as any. But if I were find myself looking for some new tools, I probably wouldn't buy Ridgid just for this reason.

I agree I'm just trying to see what angle they might be taking. It doesn't
                            make sense with RIDGID being the 'home' brand at HD. That's the line of
                            tools you would think would be complete as others have said, yet its not
                            so what gives?

Comment

I agree I'm just trying to see what angle they might be taking. It doesn't
                              make sense with RIDGID being the 'home' brand at HD. That's the line of
                              tools you would think would be complete as others have said, yet its not
                              so what gives?
                              Like they used to say years ago, "That's the $64,000.00 question".

Comment

Hey guys, just checking in. The more I continue to read the comments on this forum, the more I don't understand Ridgid's marketing strategy. If HD is calling the shots for Ridgid, as many suggest, does Ridgid not realize that HD may eventually put them out of business? Since I started this thread a couple of months ago, I have done extensive research on all the different brands of power tools, read many articles, and read every reply on this thread. I read alot of comments suggesting there are probably many Ridgid users who are switching brands because of the lack of tools available in the Ridgid 18 volt line up. Well, I am living proof! I have been a ridgid user for many years and I use cordless power tools every day in my scrap metal business. I bought the original Ridgid 18v combo and never had any problems with the tools. Then I upgraded to the x3, then the x4. However, when it became apparent that the x4 would, again, lack other tools that I've been waiting for, it was decision time, time to change colors. I returned my x4 to HD, collected my $500 bucks, and went home. The next day I bought my new RED combo, and have expanded on it ever since, and I'm not finished yet. So far, I have the Milwaukee 18 volt Red Lithium hammer drill, impact driver, sawzall, angle grinder, 1/2" impact wrench, hackzall, flashlight, 4 batteries, and 2 chargers. I'm very happy with the performance and quality of the tools, and the warranty is 5 years on the tools and 3 years on the batteries. I have invested about $1,000 and none of the purchases were made at HD. So, although I will always be a Ridgid lover, for now, I have orange in my heart, but red in my hand! How long can Ridgid and HD sustain these kinds of losses?

Comment

Working...
                                X