X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reconsidering my x4 combo purchase

About 2 weeks ago, I purchased the X4 combo kit and haven't used it yet because I have been debating with myself whether to keep it or not. I love Ridgid power tools and have been using them for a very long time. That being said, there are some issues that have me reconsidering my purchase. First of all, from what I have read on this forum, and information and opinions I have gathered from friends and other power tool users, the LSA is at best questionable. Nobody I have talked to believes that the batteries will be guaranteed "forever". People on the forum have pointed out the lack of clear terminology in Ridgid's written agreement and I have heard many doubts as to ridgid replacing batteries "for life". So, if anyone out there has any positive personal experiences concerning the battery guarantee, I certainly would love to hear them. Secondly, and most importantly, is that Ridgid apparently has no short term plans of expanding on the selection of 18v tools that are available. I am in the metals recycling business and the tools I use mostly include an impact driver and a sawzall, both included in the combo. However, the other tools I use on a daily basis are an angle grinder and a 1/2" drive impact wrench, neither of which are available from Ridgid. I don't understand why ridgid has decided not to include these tools in their 18v lineup, especially when they are available from Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, and even Ryobi. Makes no sense to me. Accordingly, I am left with the choice of using two different brands to fulfill my needs, which would mean different batteries, different chargers, and so on, OR switch over to a brand that has all the tools available, which is the way I am leaning. It's unfortunate, because as I said in my opening statement, I really do like Ridgid tools. Anyway, it will be depressing, but in the next couple of days I probably will be making a trip back to HD to return my beloved combo kit, and trade my orange for yellow.

Re: Reconsidering my x4 combo purchase

It's a good kit but as you say, if they do not have the line of tools you need to do your job than you have to decide. I love my x4 kit, the more I use it the more I am satisfied with it but like you, I wish they had a few more tool options in the 18v range.

Comment

i have had some of the old 12 and 18v compact lith ion replaced for free. My service center was easy to deal with, they even pick up and drop off my batts. No questions asked besides cust no and model no. Not all centers do this of course. I was worried too before i committed to my first RIDGID tools. Its not a scam, register correctly, be patient, careful to document and copy all warranty papers for your records, and you will be fine. Now as far as tool expansion, i wish they had those tools too. I believe the posts start about 2007 begging for those exact tools, not sure why every co. has them but not RIDGID

Comment

Iv only bought milwaukee since i started my apprenticeship at the end of 2005 but recently "july" bought a makita 18 volt lithium cordless set. Sawzall, impact, drill, grinder, flashlight, circular saw and flashlight have since bought right angle drill and radio and jigsaw plus an additional 3 batterys i must say im completly satisfied with my purchase had one battery crap out had a replacement within a week. All of witch besides hammer drill exceed my expectatons. Plus makita is second to none for variety of compatable tools for this line up of batterys.. oh i also bought their vacuam which is great for finishing "countertop drilling for faucets ect ect." I would highly recommend looking at this line up.. hope this helps sean i personally will never recommend dewalt had othing but headache and insults from dealing with their warrentys.. "theirs been alot.. good luck and hope you share your findings...

Comment

Does anyone know if there has ever been an official response from Ridgid as to WHY they have decided to exclude these very useful tools from the 18 volt line up? I am really curious to find out what their reasoning is. It certainly isn't very "business wise" and it makes no sense to me at all, especially when they must realize that there are people and potential customers like me who will invest in another brand only because of the limited tools available. Apparently, they don't listen to customer feedback, or perhaps customer satisfaction is not a top priority. It is very unfortunate, because as I stated in the beginning, I really do like Ridgid tools. I have many Ridgid corded tools like reciprocating saw, angle grinder, drills, chop saw, sanders, etc, and I love them all. This is why the 18v line up deficiency is such a disappointment to me.

Comment

The more research I do on this situation, the more puzzled and annoyed I become. Consumers have been requesting the introduction of an angle grinder and impact wrench to Ridgid's 18 volt line up for many years, actually as far back as 2006. However, for some unknown reason, a reason I certainly can't figure out, Ridgid has decided to ignore these requests. Apparently, Ridgid IS interested in gaining momentum in the power tool market, isn't that why they introduced the LSA? So why would they ignore the wants and needs of the buying public. Could someone PLEASE help me understand their logic? I remember the old days when muscle cars were the thing that every youthful buyer just had to have. In 1964, GM introduced the Pontiac GTO and things took off from there. The rest of the "big three" automakers had to jump on the bandwagon in order to survive. Consumers requested muscle and they got muscle. So came the Mustang, Camaro, Charger and so on. The automakers had to respond to what the consumer wanted. Apparently, Ridgid does not subscribe to this marketing necessity! Again, I can not come up with any reason why Ridgid has decided not to compete in the power tool market. Do they actually not realize that consumers, like me, who like Ridgid tools, will actually invest in a different brand just because of Ridgid's lack of line up variety? I've read articles professing that 18 volts does not provide enough power or torque to justify these tools. That is just plain old B.S.! I've seen video reviews showing an 18v angle grinder cutting a dozen 3/4" bolts and several pieces of 1/2" flatstock without bogging down and still have battery power to spare. I've also seen an 18v impact wrench dismount and remount 8 auto wheels on one charge with power to spare. So, as painful as it will be, I'm planning on returning my new, still unused, X4 combo. By the way, brands that now offer the 18v angle grinder and impact wrench include Makita, Bosch, Dewalt, Ryobi, Porter Cable, Metabo, Milwaukee, Hitachi, and Neiko. I just wanted to update all of my fellow power toolers who were hoping for years that Ridgid would change their insane marketing srategy.

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention that is equally puzzling and annoying. Although Ridgid hasn't recognized the need for an 18 volt angle grinder or impact wrench, they DID feel there was a need for an 18 volt caulking gun! What's next, an 18 volt paint brush? Oh, one other thing, even Harbor Freight has an 18 volt impact wrench!

Comment

I have to agree with pesciwasp, last week was the first time i have ever tried out the LSA and have heard alot of negative comments on getting service work done.
                one of my 18v nicads was flashing defective. so i called my closest service center, about 50 miles away. they had replacements in stock so next day i drove up there and in 10 minutes was out with both of my batteries swapped out. got home called the customer service number, less than 10 minutes later including being on hold my new batteries were registered.
                i found it to be very smooth process being i had all my information ready when i talked to people the first time. just wish i didnt have to drive so far to get to a service center in my state for power tools.
                so dont let the LSA issues you hear about worry you too much, register your tools properly and keep track of the information.

Comment

Thanks MAS, it certainly is encouraging to hear that you had no problems getting your batteries swapped out, especially when there is a service center only 10 miles from me. Now, if Ridgid would just give us some hope that they are planning to add some tools to the 18 volt line up, I could easily be convinced to hold on to my new X4. Just wishful thinking.

Comment

I wish they had more tools in the lineup also, as yourself and many others comment on the 1/2" impact and 4-1/2" grinder are two of my big wishlist items rigid had in an 18v.

Comment

Originally posted by MAS View Post
                      I wish they had more tools in the lineup also, as yourself and many others comment on the 1/2" impact and 4-1/2" grinder are two of my big wishlist items rigid had in an 18v.
                      Me too, but I think there is a Dewalt to Ridgid battery adapter in my future.
                      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

For about 6 years now, Ridgid has not responded to consumers many requests for an angle grinder or impact wrench in their 18 volt line up. However, amazingly they did see a need to introduce an 18 volt caulking gun! What's next, an 18 volt paintbrush?

Comment

Originally posted by johnw48 View Post
                          For about 6 years now, Ridgid has not responded to consumers many requests for an angle grinder or impact wrench in their 18 volt line up. However, amazingly they did see a need to introduce an 18 volt caulking gun! What's next, an 18 volt paintbrush?
                          thats funny. But the caulking gun is cool if you have ever used it. The other tools are way more useful though.

Comment

I'm sure the caulking gun is cool for those who have use for it, but surely there is much more demand for an angle grinder in the power tool world, and this is what amazes me: The brands currently offering an 18 volt angle grinder include Makita, Bosch, Dewalt, Ryobi, Porter Cable, Metabo, Milwaukee, Hitachi, and Neiko. Amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by johnw48 View Post
                              That was very funny and very observant. I agree that for some folks the cordless caulking gun is a welcomed tool but I think there are many more cordless tool owners who would buy and use a Ridgid 18 volt grinder and heavy duty impact wrench. I think there are only a couple manufacturers who make a cordless grease gun, and for mechanics, folks who own heavy equipment it's a real time saver, just not something most folks would need. The Ridgid folks have responded to my requests for more or certain tools with a definite "Sorry, but NO!".
                              Still remains a mystery to me why they would limit themselves and not make the Ridgid line competitive against the rest from Ryobi to the DeWalts and Milwaukees? Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X