Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Tools needed to Bolt down Safe in Concrete Slab?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tools needed to Bolt down Safe in Concrete Slab?

I am partial to Browning safes myself. I use a roto-hammer and Red Head anchors to set my safes.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
      I think you may have misunderstood the anchoring. Safes bolt from the inside not the outside. The floor of the safe will generally have four debits in the four corners that show you where the drill points are.

5. fill each anchor hole, (one at a time) with epoxy and use the required grade bolt and ratchet the bolt with epoxy in the hole.

The only draw back to this installation is it is a mother f'ing Be-atch to remove the safe if you ever have to move it.

I feel silly, now that I think about it, I have never seen exterior flanges on a safe, or have ever attached one to the floor. Still, In response to #5, the epoxy takes time to set, therefore cannot be tightened with anything. You set the all-thread with the washer and nut on the end, then you walk away until the epoxy is cured, then tighten down the nuts.
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
        I feel silly, now that I think about it, I have never seen exterior flanges on a safe, or have ever attached one to the floor. Still, In response to #5, the epoxy takes time to set, therefore cannot be tightened with anything. You set the all-thread with the washer and nut on the end, then you walk away until the epoxy is cured, then tighten down the nuts.
        Once I set the safe in place, everything is aligned I fill the holes with epoxy, stick the bolt in it and thread it down tight. The epoxy will set in about an hour, be hard cured in a week. Although I have never tried this you could feasibly use a hardened threaded rod. Cut them to the right length, epoxy them in the holes with the rod sticking up in the safe, and then in a week or so go back and install the nuts.

Comment

I bolted my gun safe down a few weeks ago. It weighed about 800 pounds empty. The floor under the carpet was concrete. I used Tapcon screw anchors from Home Depot. I used my 18 Volt Ridgid hammer drill and the masonry bit that Tapcon recommends for the 1/4 inch anchor bolt/screw. Started out with the slow drill speed at first - took about 15 minutes per hole to drill about 2 inches. Later I switched to the high speed and drilled each hole in about 5 minutes. The holes in the bottom of the safe are way over in the corners and it was tough getting to them to drill the holes. I did not move my safe after I started the holes then move it back to bolt them down - this safe is tough to move and scoot on carpet and I felt I would never get it back and properly aligned. I used a large fender washer under each Tapcon screw/bolt head. I sucked the dust out of the holes frequently as I drilled with my Ridgid shop vac.

I know I am going to get criticized - the Tapcon 1/4 inch bolts may not be as tough as anchors epoxyed in or other methods mentioned above. But my thinking was this:

I have had burglaries at homes I have lived in before. According to police the typical burglar is paranoid and scared to death that they will be caught or get shot by someone - so they usually are quick in (kick in a door or break a window latch) and quick out (grab what they can and scat) and don't want to make a lot of noise or create a disturbance that will attract the attention of your neighbors. They usually strike during the daytime when most folks are at work. They are usually young and seeking items they can pawn or sell quick - usually to buy drugs, etc. Stuff I had stolen were jewelry, small tools, guns, a guitar, and small electronics. The best prevention for them (according to police) is a burglar alarm. I installed one at a house I lived at before (after 2 burgularies) and the burgular alarm stopped them when they came back a 3rd time.

Professional burgulars are more relaxed and according to police - there isn't much way one can stop them from success. Fortunately they are not very common. So my aim was to protect against the amateurs and make sure my homeowner's insurance had a guaranteed replacement clause and my limits of liability were high enough to cover my stuff.

The Tapcon screws/bolts probably would only slow a professional burglar down a little bit less than what a more substaintal anchor installation would - my aim was to discourage the amateurs only. I am sure the massive weight (probably over 900 pounds with the guns in there) would be sufficient but the bolting to the floor was one extra level of security. And they sure are a lot quicker and less tiring to install and they don't leave a big hole in the carpet if I decide to move my safe. Heck the weight of the safe alone required 3 young men to help me get it in the house - I have a professional appliance dolly and it was useless in moving the safe. We had to scoot in on the floor with these heavy duty furniture glides - there are no hand holds on these big safes. I was all we could do to get it unloaded from my pull behind trailer - the folks at Tractor Supply used a fork lift to load it.

Comment

A friend of mine is a retired Deputy Sheriff. He was telling me a story about a case he worked back in the 80s where these tweakers had come and more or less robbed this house blind. The house was waaay out in the middle of nowhwere, if you were on this road, either you had buisness with the homeowner, or were up to no good. The owner of the home was elderly and was in a care home or something of that nature. The thieves tried stealing the save but could not get it loaded into their truck. You could see where they drug the safe along the floor ruining the hardwood, and had it under a tree with a broken branch to show for their efforts. He staked the house out for a few nights, seen a truck pull up that had a severely dented tailgate, somebody get out of the truck, the truck drove off. He went up the road a ways, and flagged down the truck when it came back, he jumped right in when he stopped, pulled his gun, and arrested the man. Took the truck back to the house, and arrested the other guy who had a stronger chain hoist rigged up to a bigger branch of the tree....

Another friend who is a General Contractor was telling me about some idiot employee who was an ex con for robbing a house. He was telling me the story he was told how the cop busted him when they returned to steal the safe. It took me a minute to realize that his employee was the same guy who my friend busted.
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

The safe my son built for me is around 1,000 pounds, the safe my son-in-law built for me is around 1,300 pounds. Still I was able to unload them with help, then use an equipment dolly to roll them in to place. I would guess they are both a couple of hundred pounds heavier now so it would be tough but not impossible.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
              X