X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden warranties

Hi all. I'm new here. I've owned my Ridgid 14 inch bandsaw for over a year and have been very satisfied with it. However, just recently I started using it to cut a profile on my newest mandolin build. Suddenly the blade moved forward right out of the guides. I shut it off and investigated. The top wheel hinge casting had broken. I was alarmed to see that the casting is like an aero bar inside.
    I should be able to get warranty with no problem if I can find my proof of purchase.
    But I was wondering if this is a common failure. From the look of the break I'd say it may be. I also expect the company may have upgraded this part. I'm sure they would if there have been many failures.

Anyone out there have a similar experience?
    Best Regards
    Jim

Re: Hidden warranties

Jim,

Are you sure your Ridgid bandsaw is only a year or so old... I don't recall seeing them for some time now.

In any case, your bandsaw has a 3-year warranty. But, if you registered it into the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement (LLSA) program, then you are covered for life. (Perhaps, like many, you didn't do that though . )

Good luck and welcome to the Ridgid forum,

CWS

Comment

Thanks CW. I bought it August 2010 at Home Depot. It was on sale. Perhaps an end of line. I'm pretty sure I registered it but I don't remember a service agreement.

I just went on the Ridgid web sight and my registration is there but no service agreement. I bought it in July 2010. I wonder if I can get warranty directly. It says in my owners manual that I have to go to a local service company.

It says LSA elligible. What does that mean?
      Last edited by Jim Baker; 01-17-2012, 09:16 PM.
      Best Regards
      Jim

Comment

it means that if you follow(ed) the provisions in the LSA, it would be covered by the program for all repairs (parts and labor) for the life of the tool. here is a recap of ridgid's power tool satisfaction guarantee, 3 yr warranty and LSA:

Power Tool Warranty - RIDGID Professional Tools
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Baker View Post
          I wonder if I can get warranty directly...
          No. Evaluation and repair must be done by an authorized service agent. Repairs performed by yourself are not eligible for warranty consideration.
          "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
            No. Evaluation and repair must be done by an authorized service agent. Repairs performed by yourself are not eligible for warranty consideration.
            Doesn't get any plainer than that. On the other hand, wanna bet that someone will chime in with a, "yeah but..........."?
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Oh, we get folks every day who expect to be provided free parts for their DIY repairs. Some of whom become quite the horse's rear when they're informed that it just doesn't work that way.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                Oh, we get folks every day who expect to be provided free parts for their DIY repairs. Some of whom become quite the horse's rear when they're informed that it just doesn't work that way.
                True, but I do wonder what it requires to become a authorized service center.... Hmm, I should apply!

Comment

Jim,

Well now you know... you're covered for three years; but, you've got to take it to a Ridgid Service Center.

Unfortunately you probably missed out on the LLSA, because you are way past the normal registration "window".... but, I think I'd still give Ridgid Customer Service a call, just in case they are in a lenient mood (Hey, you never know!)

Good luck and welcome to the Ridgid forum,

CWS

Comment

Alphacowboy,

Hey, give it a shot. We all know that Ridgid/TTI could certainly use more "service centers", especially good ones!

How's your patience? (Do you think you could put up with some of the short-tempered skalliwags that we too often read about?)

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                      Alphacowboy,

Hey, give it a shot. We all know that Ridgid/TTI could certainly use more "service centers", especially good ones!

How's your patience? (Do you think you could put up with some of the short-tempered skalliwags that we too often read about?)

CWS
                      I was a pc tech at best buy for 6 years... I can handle anything... LOL. I also did tech support for cable internet for 2 years (dealt with the technicians).

In all honesty, I have been thinking about it. There use to be a guy that ran it out of his garage in my town but has since quit. I know the repair labor rates from Ridgid are very low, but I was thinking on the lines of a "hobby" and a little extra cash to help subsidize my construction biz.

Comment

Jim,

I believe you are on-track with your belief that this is a recurring issue with this part.

[Begin rant] My upper shaft - hinge wheel assembly just broke for the second time in four years, with very minimal use. Luckily, I did register for the LLSA. But now, I'll have to load the whole saw into the truck again, drive it 30 miles one-way, wait for weeks for repair (part is back-ordered), then make the 30 mile trip again to pick it up - all for a part that is smaller than my hand and just as easy to install as the original assembly. With the price of gas today not to mention the time involved, it would definitely be less expensive for me to just order the part, but that's how the LLSA works. Hopefully, the design and/or material for this part has improved. Otherwise, we may see this problem again based on my experience. [End rant]

Good luck with your service.

-O&B

Comment

Working...
                        X