R4512 blade selection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 blade selection

I'm new to this forum. I contacted Ridgid service about blade replacements and was told that they did not recommend thin kerf blades, as the cut will be thinner than the spreader. I measured the riving knife/spreader and it was .090 the blade provided was on average .106. I prefer using Freud blades and looks like the Freud LU84R with a kerf of .126 may be the best choice for a combination blade. I have a regular kerf blade on a similarly powered radial arm saw and have been pleased with the results but this matching blade kerf to saw power is all new to me, when it comes to blade selection. Any advise for a rookie?

Re: R4512 blade selection

There are as many opinions on blade choice as there are political opinions. What has worked for me on my 1½ HP RIDGID Contractor Style Saw has been a full kerf general purpose blade when I want to do quick rough ripping and crosscutting. If I have quite a bit of ripping to do I will then bring out my thin kerf 24T or 30T ripping blades. For almost finish ready crosscutting, out comes the Freud LU85C010. Changing blades is not one of my most favorite things to do in the shop so basically 90% of the time my Ridge Carbide TS2000 full kerf blade will be found on my saw.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Thanks for your input. This is my first TS, so far it has been so much better than clamping and following a straight edge that I kick myself for waiting so long. I think I will try the full kerf and let the saw speak for it's self. Really the only confusion on my part was the blade that came with the saw was not much different from thin kerf blades and certainly no where close to the full kerf blade.

Comment

The riving knife on the R4512 is stamped with the acceptable blade thicknesses. I just came in from my shop (finishing up setup of my new R4512) and I believe it was stamped .090 - .126. I ordered an Onsrud .098 ATB/+R 50 tooth combination blade for general use and a .098 TCG 60 tooth for a panel project I have coming up.

Comment

Working...
        X