X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not very happy with you Ridgid

For those of you that know me, I've been here a while and usually praise the Ridgid brand... Well I can honestly say, I am disappointed. Yeah, I'd like more cordless tool selections, as has been stated by myself as well as frank, grinder, HD impact, etc. But, little did I know, Ridgid is skimping on its corded tools now. The 12' lighted indicator cords that stayed flexible even in the cold seem to have been tossed in favor of cost cutting. Now a 8' cord is present on newer tools, its stiff, has a worthless hard plastic plug with the little indented to supposedly snap on to the cord when you try and wrap it up. Also gone its the velcro cord wrap as well as any type of bag or box for storing the tool (at least with the R3201 circular saw we bought to replace one of the older models we broke).

WTH Ridgid, you are cutting back on features that put you infront of others... Hell, your falling behind! All for what, the bean counters? What gives, is the LLSA starting to drown you? Pull your heads out of your collective *** and realize that its the cool revolutionary items you HAD that set you apart....

Re: Not very happy with you Ridgid

What has me baffled is that I just picked up the x4 drill/impact promo kit. IMHO, it is by far the best built cordless drill from Ridgid to date. I am tempted to take a look inside to see the internals. The x3 surprisingly uses a 24v trigger. I was not expecting that. I almost wonder if after the ordeal with the 18v triggers dying in the original cordless drills if they upped the triggers to higher rated volt units to avoid them from failing?

Comment

I'm not particularly delighted with Ridgid either... but it's NOT so much for the tools that I have, but for the marketing that seems to be seriously neglected. About the only tool that I really have become disappointed in, is the cordless JobMax... it just eats batteries, and I have to take the two from my compact drill/driver and also the one from the JobMax kit and have them fully charged before I plan even a short 15-minute job with them.

I think the JobMax and the initial 12-Volt compact drill were prematurely launched, with both being replaced or augmented within a short time by superior products. I'd love to have TTI step up and offer some kind of "replacement/trade-in" or something. (That's just my lonely little opinion of course, and not something that terribly upsets me.)

But what does upset me, is that Home Depot is the only gateway to the product line, and they are not doing a good job of it. Marketing is terrible, information is too often wrong, and even here on the official Ridgid website, the information is only basic and all too often late in coming. While that format may work well for plumbing and other hand-tools, it does very little to tout the features and advantages of the power tool line, especially the stationary products. If all you dare to say about your product is to list some abbreviated specs and provide one little picture, then maybe you need to stick to selling wrenches... there's a lot more to be touted and examined by a prospective purchaser of power tools I think.

In the Home Depot stores, the products are almost unknown by the sales associates. It should be thier flagship products (afterall they have an exclusive) and product knowledge should be absolutely at the forefront of an "orange-aprons" training... and that goes especially to the the differences between "warranty" and "LLSA". It appears that none of that gets pushed to the customer.

Worse perhaps, is that most of the HD's have now dismissed the need to display the stationary tools. WHO wants to spend a few hundred $$ on something that you can't see or examine? That, to a lesser extent, also applies to the Ridgid hand-held power tools, as most are so tied down that you can't really pick one up and look at at it; but then again it appears that we, the customers, are little better than theives as many of the models (of any brand) that you look at, are missing parts.

I think very much of the "thievery" is due to the total lack of "assignment" of specialized departmental associates. I know that in the two stores that I frequent often, no one appears to actually be assigned to the areas. I think the whole "model" of HD, is somewhat questionable in this respect, as it's always easy to find a "orange-apron" who is delighted to say "Hello" as he hurriedly passes you by on the way to some strange destination, but try to find one who is actually available to help!

(By contrast, I go to Sears and I'm pratically stumbling over sales associates. I don't find products missing any parts but then I don't find them well maintained there either. Somewhere in between there ought to be a happy mix of these two styles.)

I think the "Ridgid" branded TTI tools, is that TTI hasn't quite made up it's mind about the U.S. market. Home Depot would much rather just sell refrigerators and carpet, and Emerson Electric isn't quite sure which way to turn, as it stumbles around a product line that I think it really would simply like to get out of. With the latter, it has some very good designs in it's stationary wood-working tool line, but those have become dated to the point where it couldn't make any money by manufacturing themselves and it certainly wasn't putting much R&D in. Hence it subcontracted (off-shored?) the whole line to Taiwan, then it saw an opportunity in TTI to simply carry on the branding.

TTI certainly made a nice move in picking up and even enhancing the line of famous "Ridgid" products, but now it too is stumbling as it appears to be locked into this deal with Home Depot. Home Depot, has changed it's mind so many times I'm not sure where their head is really at. They don't promote the product line, don't display it well (and some products, NOT at all), and they certainly don't train their people to sell it.

If I were "king", probably the first thing that I'd do is drop the "Ridgid" branding, change it over to "AEG" and make a big bang statement of how proud we were of "Ridgid" but that the global presense and expanded product line of "AEG" would help negate the confusion of "Ridgid" plumbing, electrical, and vacuum products, from the power tool lineup. That way they could step up and off the "Ridgid" foundation and declare the evolution of a new (to North America, anyway) product name of "AEG".... then establish a link off of this site to the AEG site.

Then I'd open up the product line to every retail outlet who wanted it (please stand in line folks). But, I'd make darn sure that "display" and "product knowledge" was an absolute requirement if they wanted to profit from retailing the product line.

As it stands now, I don't see anybody really making a big effort to drive the products and the whole thing seems to be rather confusing (and a bit floundering) in this rather unfocused process.

CWS

Comment

CW, I don't think I could have said it better myself!

Comment

The Illustrator / Writer extraordinaire strikes again......

Comment

dont know how to say thanks on the current forum. Otherwise i would to cw

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
              dont know how to say thanks on the current forum.
              Look to the lower right hand corner of my response. See the red Thanks icon? Click on that in any response and you will be saying thanks for that post.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Many a long time member has echoed these thoughts in a diatribe more than once, myself included. Maybe not the exact words CWS used in this recent post of his which is an excellent post and I think the first time I have heard anyone propose dropping the RIDGID name from the power tool line and switching to AEG.

I've given up long ago on trying to provoke a response out of RIDGID or TTI on this subject. Nothing that gets posted here in this subject area by anyone gets an answer. Maybe they read and choose not to answer here. Maybe they read and say to themselves "these morons (as in you and I) have no clue what we are doing or are about; they don't deserve a reply" I don't know. When someone from the organization tries to offer even an unofficial opinion they get shut down so there is little reason to expect a formal answer I guess. The only interaction they seem to want to have is the exchange of product for cash, nothing else matters it would appear.

But then that is the way most companies operate now-a-days. They want no relationship with their customers, just their money. They have no interest in building brand loyalty or repeat business, just in whatever profit they can realize today; tomorrows' profits will come from some other unfortunate person.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  Look to the lower right hand corner of my response. See the red Thanks icon? Click on that in any response and you will be saying thanks for that post.
                  im usually not signed in when i read forum, no red thanks when not signed in.

Comment

Why not just stay logged on? When you come to the site and log on, just check the "remember me" box and the next time you come to the site you will still be logged on.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
                    X