X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cast Iron Wings on R4512

Thought I would post a quick picture on the cast iron extention wings I was able to pick up for my 4512. They are from King and took minimal alterations to fit on the 4512. Makes a huge difference. Still including the price of the extensions, probably the best saw out there for the money. What an upgrade from the steel wings.

Next on the list is a router table insert for the RH side.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6a3827d4dee98bb94e56b45eb1dfa9ab.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	15933Click image for larger version

Name:	f4f9d6ea0f621d8c1f30ad5b826a5292.jpg
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	15932

Re: New Cast Iron Wings on R4512

I have a couple questions. Is the left extension CI the same as the right side? The left appears to be steel, maybe the lighting. Next, are they the same size as the steel extensions that came with the saw, and if not, what size (<->) are they. Does "King" have a web site? And lastly, how much?

Thanks,

Ron

Comment

I tried to post a reply yesterday and it has disappeared to the land of moderator authorization.

The left extension is the Ridgid supplied steel wing and the right is the CI wing (before and after). The cast iron extensions are from King Canada. I am not sure of thier global presence, but they sell quality tools in canada anyways. I got them through a local tool shop in Ottawa. There was a mixup at first which had me opening a box of green General International steel extensions at first. The shop had the situation fixed within 3 days and I kept expecting them to want more money for the cast wings. I kept thinking it was too good to be true. They were $65 each.

I had origionally called BusyBee and they said that the extensions for thier replacement of the 3650 were $199. I asked if it was for the pair and they said yes. Then when I called back to order them, I got someone else who said they were $199 EACH. I asked them to clarify and they stuck to the $199 each. I wished them luck trying to sell them at that price.

I reattached the picture of the cast iron wing as well as I didnt realize the other one was sideways.

Click image for larger version

Name:	caeb5f16ee50a0ea5a411fe952103cd3.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	15936

Comment

can you describe what modifications you needed to make and what exactly you ordered? I mean, did you order cast iron wing for R4512 or .... what model?
        thanks

Comment

I called up a local shop that deals with a number of brands of equipment (King Canada, General International, Delta, etc) and asked for pricing on a pair of cast iron extension wings to fit a 27" cast iron table saw. He searched his suppliers and found these:

Power Tools, Woodworking and Metalworking Machines by King Canada These are a replacement part for a cabinet saw from King Canada.

Most table saws have a 27" top (as with the ridgid) so most extensions will fit with some alteration. The hole pattern to attach it to the main table was the same 3 bolt pattern. I had to widen the holes by approx 1/8" to where the threads were in the main table. I also hat to elongate them as they sat about 3/32" below the main table. This was simply done by filing the holes in the direction needed. Cast Iron is surprisingly easy to work with in this regard. The extensions were also about 1/16" shorter then the main table on the long side. So I had to shim the table between the fence rails to ensure that the fence rails did not skew when tightened. I made the shims with 4 layers of galvanized ductwork.

I also needed to drill new holes to attach them to the rails. Just start with a small pilot hole and work your way up to the size needed. Make sure to lubricate your drill bit (WD-40 works) and wear safety glasses.

Start by contacting your local shops and ask for pricing. You will no doubt get some insanly high prices as Im sure there isnt a huge markup on this stuff, so no one wants to bring it in. But just keep looking and you will find something.

Comment

I am impressed with your find! Can you tell me the name of the local supplier you bought these from in Ottawa?

Originally posted by Thomas S. View Post
            I called up a local shop that deals with a number of brands of equipment (King Canada, General International, Delta, etc) and asked for pricing on a pair of cast iron extension wings to fit a 27" cast iron table saw. He searched his suppliers and found these:

Power Tools, Woodworking and Metalworking Machines by King Canada These are a replacement part for a cabinet saw from King Canada.

Most table saws have a 27" top (as with the ridgid) so most extensions will fit with some alteration. The hole pattern to attach it to the main table was the same 3 bolt pattern. I had to widen the holes by approx 1/8" to where the threads were in the main table. I also hat to elongate them as they sat about 3/32" below the main table. This was simply done by filing the holes in the direction needed. Cast Iron is surprisingly easy to work with in this regard. The extensions were also about 1/16" shorter then the main table on the long side. So I had to shim the table between the fence rails to ensure that the fence rails did not skew when tightened. I made the shims with 4 layers of galvanized ductwork.

I also needed to drill new holes to attach them to the rails. Just start with a small pilot hole and work your way up to the size needed. Make sure to lubricate your drill bit (WD-40 works) and wear safety glasses.

Start by contacting your local shops and ask for pricing. You will no doubt get some insanly high prices as Im sure there isnt a huge markup on this stuff, so no one wants to bring it in. But just keep looking and you will find something.

Comment

Hi,

What is the name of the shop in Ottawa?

Originally posted by Thomas S. View Post

Comment

Re: New Cast Iron Wings on R4512 + Router Extension

Thanks a lot Thomas! I managed to get the extension wing from a local supplier in Mississauga and I was able to add a CI extension router wing to the saw! I bought the CI wings on the left for $89 and the CI router extension on the right for $399. Both are King Canada Products. The holes almost line up. I used a dremel with a grinding stone to align the hole on the CIs. Used my existing wings to mark the slightly offset hole patterns.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thats a good looking machine you have got there jazzsingh. I saw that Router extension after I bought my extensions. I had bought them sight unseen and was very pleased with the result. I just built an extension in the right side for my router. I havent taken any pictures yet though. It makes a HUGE difference to the saw having a large flat cast top and an extension on the right between the rails.

I notice that you moved your rails to the right to give you extra rip capacity. Did you do this before or after adding the larger cast router extension? Was remounting it difficult, or did it line up?

Comment

I am looking to add cast iron wings to my R4512. On Kings website they have 2 models available the EXT-10GC and the EXT-10FX
                    Can someone confirm which part number they ordered?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jazzsingh View Post
                      Thanks a lot Thomas! I managed to get the extension wing from a local supplier in Mississauga and I was able to add a CI extension router wing to the saw! I bought the CI wings on the left for $89 and the CI router extension on the right for $399. Both are King Canada Products. The holes almost line up. I used a dremel with a grinding stone to align the hole on the CIs. Used my existing wings to mark the slightly offset hole patterns.
                      Now all you need is the Delta T2 fence!

Comment

Working...
                      X