X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2" Impact Wrench...

Hey Ridgid, I got sick of waiting.... Eat your heart out Franki!
    Attached Files

Re: 1/2" Impact Wrench...

I should have the trigger and LED next week for it, including some nice authentic "RIDGID" stickers.

Only thing I'm trying to decide is if I should modify the base to accept 24v batteries or not? The switch is rated at 24v, but the motor in this impact is only 18v. I might fry the armature, but I could replace it with a 28v unit if it did die. I am going to guess under powering a 28v armature on 24v will be less desirable anyway. Might just stick to the 18v. Its not perfect, but I'd say its not bad for a few hours a night here and there over the past week or two. I'll post up all the details when I have it all together and working and not just a shell.

Comment

Be careful, they might suddenly get interested and slap you with a stop and desist order because its orange. It looks sharp!

I was going to cheat and graft a Ridgid end onto my Dewalt cordless impact
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I'm not selling it, so Ridgid better leave me along. It's not my fault they don't make one. It was a Milwaukee unit. I wanted the Ridgid handle so I used my x3 hammer drill as the donor. I ordered new plastic for the x3 and I'll probably just sell it as I don't use it (the 24v runs circles around it). I just ordered the x3 switch as I didn't want to try and unsolder the current unit, plus I'd like a new switch anyway. The x3 switch is rated at 24v to my surprise. The OEM Milwaukee switch is 18v. Also, I get the LED with the x3 base and switch. I'll post up pictures of where the two pieces are grafted together. I wish I had more skill when it came to body filler and this sorta stuff. But, it looks good for a tool that will no doubt get beat up anyway. I just hope the epoxy will hold the darn thing together as it is an impact. I used the plastic specific epoxy, so I think it should hold quite well. It's not perfect, but I'm satisfied. I used a rubber anti skid step sticker for the rubber "over mold" and it actually stuck quite well and turned out better than expected.

Comment

"What the mind can conceive, man can achieve!". Great job, I can't see any flaws in the picture. Hope it holds up well under use. Just for kicks, you should send some pictures to Ridgid and ask if you can register it. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            "What the mind can conceive, man can achieve!". Great job, I can't see any flaws in the picture. Hope it holds up well under use. Just for kicks, you should send some pictures to Ridgid and ask if you can register it. Frank
            Oh, I just might do that. I can't wait to bring it into HD when I see a tti reps vehicle in the parking lot and ask them where I could get another one!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
              Oh, I just might do that. I can't wait to bring it into HD when I see a tti reps vehicle in the parking lot and ask them where I could get another one!
              That would be worth uploading to youtube so we could all have a good laugh. Great idea.

Comment

Ok, I couldn't wait, I used the switch from my x3 hammer drill and its all together. Works like a champ. Removed lugnuts on my truck with ease and on top of that it didn't break in half! I'm very very happy with it.

I do have a question for those that have used the Milwaukee 9079-20 impact wrench. With the OEM switch and as well as the Ridgid switch it operates like it has "soft start" which isn't terrible but I was just wondering if that is normal or if maybe the motor is getting tired. If that's the case I might just upgrade it to the 28v unit and modify the base to accept the 24v batteries.

Comment

Here is a pic of it all together along with my compact 12v to compare its size, its huge! Can't wait for the Ridgid stickers to get here to complete it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

More pictures, these are photos of the process, where I spliced it, and some of the blending I had to do. Used red bondo to fill in areas to make it more original looking. I also went back and filled in areas with epoxy on the inside to add strength (not pictured)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Great job!! Hopefully Ridgid remembers to thank you after it realizes that with a little effort from TTi and a little ingenuity plus a few parts from the Milwaukee/Ryobi/Ridgid parts bins, Ridgid can have a grinder, impact wrench, etc and become relevant again

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                        Great job!! Hopefully Ridgid remembers to thank you after it realizes that with a little effort from TTi and a little ingenuity plus a few parts from the Milwaukee/Ryobi/Ridgid parts bins, Ridgid can have a grinder, impact wrench, etc and become relevant again
                        Amen! I think that is what bugs me the most, all that is missing is a cheap piece of plastic, all the other parts are already there....

Comment

Woohoo, I got a thanks from Rick, I feel special now! . I have accomplished what I set out to do, my life is complete, I have a tool Rick doesn't have, and never will!

It's forsale if you want it Rick.... You know you do!

Comment

I plan on being a copy cat and doing this mod with my Dewalt impact gun, or maybe just make an adapter.

Comment

Any room in there for some fiberglass mesh on the inside to give it some strength? I don't trust that plastic epoxy un supported. I broke(cracked it 50% thru) the handle on my chop saw, prepped it, epoxied it, it re cracked a month later. When I re-epoxy it instead of spend the $20 for a new handle, I will most certainly reinforce the inside with some mesh to reinforce it this time. Make sure to scuff the plastic with some very coarse sand paper to give the epoxy a surface to bite into.. I bet a dollar it will break the first time you drop it if its not reinforced, not that I want to see it break..

Comment

Working...
                              X