X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranty Repair in Dallas, TX

For those of you in the Dallas area that bought Ridgid tools thinking that the warranty is a great deal, let me share with you my experience.

Let me start by saying I have numerous Ridgid tools (which for the most part are solid and reliable) and this was the first time I needed to get warranty repair. If you don't want read another warranty rant, stop reading now

---Start Rant --
    I bought a Ridgid hammer drill in early 2011, and after using it a few times, it froze up and needed repair. This was in early November 2011. I thought, well, at least I have the warranty. So I looked up where the nearest service center is - in a residential area in Irving, TX - an hour's drive round trip. So I made the trip to Irving, found the service "center" (actually a guy working out of his residential garage.) When I got there, the overhead door was wide open so I walked in. The little garage was stuffed to the gills with unclaimed tools and parts everywhere, but no one was there. I looked around, and finally found a buzzer, and pressed it. No one answered. I waited a minute or so. Pressed it again. Still no one. I was about to leave thinking it was a wasted trip, and a guy came out of the house next to the garage, and seemed irritated that I was interuppting what ever he was doing.

I told him I needed warranty repair, had my receipt, etc. and he told me it would be ready in a week to 10 days, depending on parts needed.

Well, it actually took 9 weeks before the drill was repaired. During that 9 weeks, I called a few times checking on the tool and was told that "parts were on backorder - we'll call you when it's ready." The guy seemed irritated every time I called.

I really needed a hammer drill to finish a project, so after the first month of the Ridgid tool being in the shop, I went ahead and bought another one (a Dewalt.)

When the tool was finally repaired, I made the trek back to Irving (another 1 hour round trip), endured the grumpy man at the service "center" and picked up my tool.

In hindsight, had I known that this would be my experience getting the tool repaired, I should have just thrown the thing in the trash, saved myself a couple hours of driving and gasoline, and bought a new one right away. The aggravation and waiting was not worth the price of the tool.

---End Rant ---

Re: Warranty Repair in Dallas, TX

sorry. only positive experiences here in NY. real store fronts, professional repairs and they ship the tool back to you @ ridgid's expense. maybe it's where you're located.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Even though I don't work for Ridgid I am sorry you had such a bad experance with getting repairs. Maybe the right person from Ridgid will see this and investigate this repair facility. I have had no problems getting warrenty work done.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by jesseTX View Post
        ... found the service "center" (actually a guy working out of his residential garage.)... stuffed to the gills with unclaimed tools and parts everywhere... seemed irritated that I was interuppting...
        I honestly find it difficult to believe that you would leave your tool there. I have more respect for my tools than that.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I'm not surprised, really. The whole "Service Center" thing seems a bit perplexing in consideration of the number of complaints that I've read here on the Ridgid forum. I really don't understand why it is so difficult to manage "authorized" service centers. IT makes me wonder how "authorization" takes place, who makes that decision, what steps have to be taken, what kind of establishment and establishment history needs to presented to get "authorization" and what exactly needs to take place in order for such "authorization" to be taken away!

Probably most importantly, is who at Ridgid do we contact to discuss these kind of problems, and is there really a person or a department that has a responsibility for all of this?

It seems a bit amaturish, to think that the only "vent" for problems with an "authorized" Service Center is to make a post here on the forum, with the hope that somehow, and at sometime..... some ONE, might possibly read the complaint and then take the time to look into it. So far, about the only Ridgid people that may have shown any interest, is to have Josh or "Brandman" make a reply.

My own experience with a "Ridgid Authorized" Service Center was when I had a Ryobit router repair done at a place in Syracuse. They were nice and efficient, and I had my tool back within ten days of my UPS shipment to them. But a couple of years later, when I had a need for repair of my Ridgid Qtr Sht Sander, that company in Syracuse, NY told me they no longer were doing warranty business for Ridgid (something about parts and payment... but that's only thier side of the story). But, I was delighted to find that the new "authorized" service center was, at that time, just eight miles south of Painted Post, NY. I called, they gave me directions and I took my tool to them.... but I passed their "building" three times before I found it... as it was about the size of a lawn shed, sitting high up the bank off a two-lane back country road. "Ricky's Motor Repair Service" (not the real name) or something like that. The guy was very nice though, and took my tools and after several weeks of waiting for parts, he not only fixed it, but also delivered it back to my home in Painted Post. While I was a bit surprised that this tiny little place could get "authorization" (he told me that Ridgid actually called him!), I was delighted with the service itself.

Sadly, the poor guy didn't last very long and a year or so later when I searched the listings, I find that my nearest "authorized" center is now in Oneonta, NY. I have no idea why the local guy isn't doing business anymore or whether those folks in Oneonta are great, despite thier terribly inconvenient location (but hey, they're only as far aways as the nearest UPS shipping point.)

The whole system seems to be NOT expandable for whatever reason and there are seemingly a lot of complaints about this or that "authorized" Service Center, not being particularly good and of course, the suggestion is often, "Try another".

CWS

Comment

I looked up the authorized power tool service centers in the Dallas area and these three came up. Care to share which one you had the issue with so others in the Dallas area can make an educated decision whether or not to go there?

Armadillo Tool Works
            11 miles away
            ALTAQUIP - DALLAS
            16.5 miles away
            TRI - J TOOL & FASTENER
            20.2 miles away
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I have read where a lot of people have had good experiences with warranty repairs. I guess it depends on where you are located.
              BadgerDave - I took my tool to Armadillo Tool Works. If I need warranty service again, maybe I'll try AltaQuip, although its even farther. From looking on Google Maps, at least it looks to be in an industrial park area, rather than residential.

Comment

I have had horrible experience with Ridgid warranties. I own several sewer machines among other Ridgid tools including SeeSnakes. Over the years, I have had a number of repairs that often are result of wear and tear.

However, there have been a number of cases where the repair was obviously a part failure. (I had a cord die on a K-60 only two months after it was installed... I had an LED light go out on a camera head about two years after I bought it... I had bearing go out on sewer machines less than a year after they were replaced). In ALL BUT ONE of these cases, Ridgid failed to uphold the warranty and charged me for the repair including the part cost.

While I still use the machines, I come to the conclusion that Ridgid warranties are worthless and that I should consider it as if they carry no warranty at all. I have several other brands of tools and have only had good experience with their department. DeWalt seems to be the best. I had cordless hammer drills where the motor died after two years, likely due to using it as a hammer drill in concrete. The warranty center explained that the drill should last a lot longer and, as it is a hammer drill, should have no problem drilling into any type of concrete. They repaired the drill free of charge in about two days. I have had many such experiences with DeWalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Craftsman and other brands. Ridgid continues to be the worse company for warranty service I have ever dealt with.

Comment

I live in Austin and had to get some screws replaced on a table saw that i rounded over the heads. They were over torqued at the factory. The Altaquip store i brought it to wanted to charge me $63.00 for replacing them. I called Cust Service and they called the shop to let them know it was covered under the LSA. This shop was way in the back of a warehouse type area. No sign by the road. Drove by it twice. One good thing is Ridgid called them and told them it was covered by the LSA. I found it interesting that when i first brought it in to them, they were listed as an authorized service center on the Ridgid web site and when I picked it up, they had been dropped. I picked up the saw and got out of there as fast as i could as i don't think they got the word that they had been dropped. I think next time i need any work done under the LSA's, I will bring it to home depot and let them do the leg work.

Comment

Originally posted by Texan Bob View Post
                    I live in Austin and had to get some screws replaced on a table saw that i rounded over the heads. They were over torqued at the factory. The Altaquip store i brought it to wanted to charge me $63.00 for replacing them. I called Cust Service and they called the shop to let them know it was covered under the LSA. This shop was way in the back of a warehouse type area. No sign by the road. Drove by it twice. One good thing is Ridgid called them and told them it was covered by the LSA. I found it interesting that when i first brought it in to them, they were listed as an authorized service center on the Ridgid web site and when I picked it up, they had been dropped. I picked up the saw and got out of there as fast as i could as i don't think they got the word that they had been dropped. I think next time i need any work done under the LSA's, I will bring it to home depot and let them do the leg work.
                    i'd check with the local HD before doing that. NONE of the 15 HDs in the NYC tristate area that i've visited offer that kind of service.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

My nightmare began when the guy at HD swapped out my non-working 18v drill for a new one off the floor! I registered the tool after I took it home. I charged one battery; it was fine. I then put the second one on the charger and took it off after getting the green light. When the first battery wore down, I put the second one in. Nothing happened. I put it back on the charger, but it showed fully charged.
                      I called Ridgid and after a huge runaround was told to send the battery to a "small motor repair" shop in Florida and they would send me a new one.
                      I got a call a few minutes ago from the shop, saying they'd need both the battery and the charger, and the receipt. The guy didn't even check to see if the battery was faulty. "I got a whole shop full of Ridgid stuff I haven't gotten to yet," he said. That really boosted my confidence!
                      Why would Ridgid require that I send my battery charger? That puts me out of business. The guy at the shop suggested that I do what he does when his drill is broken: use a screwdriver! I told him to send the battery back to me. This is crazy. Am I the one who's crazy?

Comment

Tom,

I understand your concern. But understand that part of analysing a battery problem, may well have to take into account where the failure is, or what caused the failure. In many cases, that may well be the charger, or even the tool itself. As customers, you and I may be confident that the it is only a defective battery, but the battery isn't just a matter of chemistry, it also has an electronic circuit (I imagine, especially if it's a Li-Ion, as I really haven't taken one of those apart).

Of couse the service guy might have examined the battery, but even he found it defective that doesn't necessarily rule out the charger circuit as having caused that failure. If that were the case, and he sent you a new battery you may well find that replacement very short lived too. (But of course, you have been using a second battery with success... but he may still have to follow the trouble-shooting procedure.)

It looks like no one from Ridgid or TTI has yet to look at this thread as I see no posts from anyone that looks "official". So, I'll once again ask, "IS there a particular person or department, beyond the typical Customer Service phone support person, that such "Authorized Service Center" questions can be directed to?" (But really, that is a question that probably just needs to be directed through "Customer Service" too.)

CWS

Comment

I live in the Dallas area. The best thing to do is call Keith (the Ridgid Rep) If you are a plumber or professional, he will help direct you. He seems to have an in with some of the shops. Texas is so big, that it loses itself in the all the Chaos. The supply houses here are all the same and only want to carry parts they make a huge mark up on, Half of them have no idea what to stock. Tool repair is a joke here. I am shocked at how difficult it is to get things here. I know that someone here in the area has the parts that I need right now, but how do I find them. There are 100's of places to search. I have found calling the reps works the best.
                          "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                            I live in the Dallas area. The best thing to do is call Keith (the Ridgid Rep) If you are a plumber or professional, he will help direct you. He seems to have an in with some of the shops. Texas is so big, that it loses itself in the all the Chaos. The supply houses here are all the same and only want to carry parts they make a huge mark up on, Half of them have no idea what to stock. Tool repair is a joke here. I am shocked at how difficult it is to get things here. I know that someone here in the area has the parts that I need right now, but how do I find them. There are 100's of places to search. I have found calling the reps works the best.

Ridgid plumbing tool repair shops won't touch Ridgid Electric or Battery tools for repair, typically. If you buy any other major brand of tool they have repair shops locally or at least can be sent off to get repaired within 1 week at most. The Ridgid repair situation is what stops me from really getting into to the brand more.

Comment

Working...
                            X