Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Change the LED in the R82920 12V(10.8V) Flashlight?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Change the LED in the R82920 12V(10.8V) Flashlight?

I just bought a 12V R82920 today and pulled it apart to see if it's modable to something brighter. So far the ridgid flashlight seems to have lots of potential because:
    1) it uses high capacity li-ion cells (should be able to provide lots of current and long run time)
    2) it was designed to fit standard 20mm led stars (easy to fit in high power efficient Cree LED's)
    3) the flashlight has a pretty good size heatsink

Here's the bad:
    1) The stock LED isn't a Cree LED. It's a cheapo 1Watt led that looks similar to a luxeon or Seoul Semiconductor LED. I've already tried a Cree 3W XR-E and XP-G led in its place but neither led's work very well w/ the stock reflector optics.
    2) The stock optics is designed for the crappy 1W luxeon style led. (Might have to swap the reflector out w/ one designed for Cree LED's)

Anyone take the flashlight apart? I had most of it apart but wasn't able to get the orange pieces separated even though I removed the screw, and two clips.

Re: Anyone Change the LED in the R82920 12V(10.8V) Flashlight?

Why not just purchase an inexpensive rechargeable 3 to 5 watt LED flashlight instead of totally voiding your warranty? But of course, you've already done that.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Sometimes its nicer to have a modified tool that uses existing chargers and batteries instead of having yet another charger to worry about loosing. I stare at the wall in my garage, I am disgusted. I see Ridgid 24V charger, 18V Ridgid, Ryobi, Dewalt and Makita chargers hanging on my wall, I totally plan on modifying some tools to eliminate HALF of those chargers.
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
        Sometimes its nicer to have a modified tool ...
        I understand your point, but to void the warranty on a brand new flashlight just to make it marginally brighter? 3 watt LED flashlights that use AA batteries are around five bucks all day long if you don't want a rechargeable one. Makes more sense to me to just sell the Ridgid light and buy a five dollar flashlight than it does to turn a (whatever the Ridgid light costs) flashlight into the equivalent of a five dollar flashlight with no warranty. Different strokes.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

First of all, Welcome to the Forum! I applaud your interest in modding the light, are you a "flashaholic" (term used on candlepowerforums.com)? Those of us with the 18volt tool light have been frustrated with Ridgid for taking so long to move from incandescent bulbs. I think it's milwaukee that offers a LED upgrade bulb for our tool lights but the price is way too much in my opinion. I would like to see a state of the art LED upgrade with infinite brightness. Why not incorporate today's technology?

Comment

It's been a long time since I've signed into this forum but I just wanted to let you guys know that I did finish my modifications to the 12v flashlight.

Why I did this?

1) the stock 1watt led was uselessly dim. It also produced an ugly hot spot of light rather than a nice gentle flood like the Milwaukee m12 led light.

2) I had lots of 12v batteries lying around and I wanted to make better use of them when I'm not using my 12v tools.

3) I didn't care about voiding the warranty because the stock light was terrible at producing usable light anyway

4) the ridgid enclosure was tough and also had a good sized heatsink that accommodated 17mm stars pretty easily

My light currently has a 10watt Cree led, new driver board and new reflector. The new driver board has 3 modes, low, high, and strobe. Aside from the fact that it's rediculously bright on the high setting (much brighter than my x4 work light), the 12v ridgid flashlight looks and works identical to a stock one. According to Cree, the led is supposed to produce up to 900-1000lumens at 10watt. I've been using this light for over half a year now and will probably mod my other 12v ridgid flashlight because it just sits around collecting dust.
            Last edited by turbo_slug; 01-14-2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              First of all, Welcome to the Forum! I applaud your interest in modding the light, are you a "flashaholic" (term used on candlepowerforums.com)? Those of us with the 18volt tool light have been frustrated with Ridgid for taking so long to move from incandescent bulbs. I think it's milwaukee that offers a LED upgrade bulb for our tool lights but the price is way too much in my opinion. I would like to see a state of the art LED upgrade with infinite brightness. Why not incorporate today's technology?
              I guess you call me that lol. I agree that ridgid is really behind on flashlight technology. I have the Milwaukee m12 led flashlight and it's light years better than the ridgid offerings but even the X-RE led is already old technology.
              I've already swapped in a new one that's probably producing 250-300 lumens compared to the stock 160rating. The part was around $6 and it doesnt consume any more power than the original led. I'm kinda itching to swap the driver board to allow for it to run at much higher power
              Last edited by turbo_slug; 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                I understand your point, but to void the warranty on a brand new flashlight just to make it marginally brighter? 3 watt LED flashlights that use AA batteries are around five bucks all day long if you don't want a rechargeable one. Makes more sense to me to just sell the Ridgid light and buy a five dollar flashlight than it does to turn a (whatever the Ridgid light costs) flashlight into the equivalent of a five dollar flashlight with no warranty. Different strokes.
                A 3 watt LED light for $5 would be a total POS without question. I vote for modding the Ridgid.

Comment

Working...
                X