Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here it is, My Ridgid Battery adapter!

Here is the first legitimate attempt at it so far! I took pics as I went so you can make your own without the guesswork. The writeup will come soon.

It works, just not finished yet..

It's finished. It does not look very pretty, (as I read this post I realized it looks hokey as well) and I need to go and deal with the epoxy smeared everywhere, but overall I think it will be a great addition, and a solution to the "Why does Ridgid not make so and so product, but everyone else does?"

Last edited by masterbeavis; 02-05-2012, 02:43 AM.
    We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Re: I have been threatening to do it for a while, here it is, My Ridgid Battery adapt

I started off with a pair of these,

Then chose a poor victim from this pile.

Next time I plan on using a LED light carcas, the top is square and will allow me to merge the two parts together easier.

All cutting was done with a Dremel Multi-max

I disasembled and cut off the battery tab from the plug in battery lanyard.

I disassembled and cut the battery base off from the handle off my old X2 drill with a cracked housing and set the guts aside for another X2 drill that had a bad trigger.

I disassembled a NICD 18V Ryobi battery, removed the cells, cut the male end of the bad battery off. I also unsoldered the wires going to the leads and removed the single cell attached to the positive lead. On the next one I cut, I will be sure to cut further around the base instead of flush with the sides, I could have used the extra meat around the base.

I placed the Lanyard over top of the drill base and made marks on where I should remove material from. I also took into consideration the location of the battery in relationship to the tool so that it will not stick out too far in the front or back.

As you can see from the half that has not been modified, the center of the body is hollow. You need to get your cut right down the middle, or close to the bottom. Be careful to not dig in too far from the bottom, its easier to remove material later, than find another drill body core.

I discovered I made the mistake of removing too much material from the drill base around the contact points, there was no way to hold the battery contacts out to accept the battery, fortunately the second half I was able to save it in order to not have to glue it in.

I test fit the lanyard to the base, discovered I needed to remove a little bit of material from the black plastic battery contact holder to accommodate the plastic housing for the spring.

Here is a top view showing the clearance between the wiring and the housing

Solder the battery contact wiring to the Ryobi Battery contact points. Make sure the wire will tuck along the sides of the plastic as shown. It will not slide back into the housing or fit proplerly if you don't get it right.

I placed the unused base on top of the drill body and marked for these holes to clamp the unit together while the epoxy sets. I think I made the mistake of tightening the screws down too much initially, the clips bin and it is difficult to release the adapter from the tool.

Its attached!

Here is the assembly mocked up for gluing
    Last edited by masterbeavis; 04-26-2012, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Re: I have been threatening to do it for a while, here it is, My Ridgid Battery adapt

reserved for free parking
      Semi Finished Product

As you can see in this picture, the battery contact point is in cockeyed, I think it got goofy when shoving it all together when the epoxy was threatening to set up. The package said 15minutes to set up, it was set in 5! Next time I will glue the contact holder in place, this time I did not, it looks like I might have a problem later.

All in all, I have about $100 into this stupid thing if I were to charge for my time. It took about 3 hours from start to finish, including taking pictures. The next one will go faster obviously.

The drill was $20 but the guts were used to fix another drill, so subtract out $20 cuz now I have (yet another) working drill
      The batteries and lanyard were given on a favor from the Father in law $40(he wants my Good Ryobi batteries I wont need now!
      Epoxy $10

I have drill shells for other adapters, but I don't have the wiring or the contact holder, that will add to the expense, and I also need more bad Ryobi Batteries.

I have here a first gen LED light that I will be using for a Dewalt adapter. It looks more user friendly, and the bonus is the LED light portion is self contained, I can use it on my bicycle helmet and have a light that is powerful and will last forever!
      Last edited by masterbeavis; 04-26-2012, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Re: Here it is, My Ridgid Battery adapter!

I must be a bigger idiot than people tell me I am. I think it's incredible that you can undertake this sort of thing and then make it work. Great job, and I'm looking forward to the details.
        -Dan

Comment

What is to understand? It's an 18v battery powering an 18v light...

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
            What is to understand? It's an 18v battery powering an 18v light...
            I don't think he is shocked about that... It's the fact that he made an adaptor.. one that is better than my attempt. My first attempt looked just like his first attempt.

Comment

I don't know Beavis, seems to me you are upsetting the natural order of things

Mother Nature may not like your tinkering

Comment

I agree, it looks sort of inbred.

Comment

yes it does, however if you were running Ridgid 18V tools and wanted an awesome 18V flashlight, sawzall, paint sprayer, caulking gun, blower, chainsaw, tile saw, miter saw, spiral saw, corner cat sander, random orbit sander, 4 1/2" grinder, stapler/brad nailer, hand held dust buster, canister vacuum, SDS rotary hammer drill, radio, Halogen spot light, Xenon spot light, jigsaw, oscillating multi tool, 1/2" impact gun, trim router, and whatever else thats out there that has been discontinued....... I am sure I am forgetting something, but most reading this who do not understand why I made this just might get the idea.

Now, lets go over what you can currently buy on the shelf for Ridgid cordless 18V tools. Impact, hammer drill, normal drill, circular saw, reciporicating saw and LED flashlight. Ridgid did make a hand planer, caulking gun, small shop vac, and a jigsaw, but you cannot go to Home Depot on Sunday morning and purchase those items. Most would need to be purchased from eBay or Craigslist. (the plane is still sporadically available from HomeDepot.com) I have a TON of 18V Ridgid batteries, why do I want a bunch of even more inferior Ryobi ones as well. My FIL wont complain about this, he will be inhereting my old Ryobi batteries...

My abortion is making more and more sense now to us Ridgid tool owners. I bet a dollar that if I were to finish the look of this, and fill the area between my adapter and the tool with more of the top of the battery, fill with epoxy, and make it all one color, I could sell the crap out of these things if I could market them correctly. AEG makes a blue version of the tools, I wonder if the batteries work on them as well (ya right, shipping would kill that deal.)
                  Last edited by masterbeavis; 02-05-2012, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Instead of 14 drills and 6 sawzalls and 10,000 other random tools I just have a single set from Makita that works.

Maybe you should jump from the Ridgid ship, Makita and DeWalt both make flashlights for their batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                      Instead of 14 drills and 6 sawzalls and 10,000 other random tools I just have a single set from Makita that works.

Maybe you should jump from the Ridgid ship, Makita and DeWalt both make flashlights for their batteries.
                      A who cares explainable of why I have so many tools....

I am a hoarder. Sometimes I legitmatley need two of everything when the 'ol lady, one of the kids, or a green helper is helping me on a job. It's also nice to have a backup set if my rig gets broken into. I also wanted more than just two batteries(the weak link) and flashlights, so I would buy used kits off of ebay and craigslist when the price is dirt cheap.. Its also hard for me to turn down a Ridgid X3 former Demo kit for $50. Of those tools you see in that picture, only one was broken, and now its an adapter.

If you are willing to show me the error of my ways and be a good soul to help me with dumping good tools and replace them with even better perfectly good tools, (with your money) please feel free to send me a personal message and we will iron out the details. God Bless!

Comment

Mb, I have been thinking about making and selling these as well.... I have 2 or 3 injection plastic molding companies 5 minutes from my house. Want to make this a business joint venture? My only question is when and if a tool manufacture steps in a sues for making them... But then again you can buy un-branded batteries.

Comment

It sounds tempting but I do not have the capital to do these in any significant quantity Sourcing the "hard parts" like the battery tops and battery contacts, oh boy! If as an end user were able to find these products, they would charge a pretty penny because I don't have the volume to get any sort of discount. How much would it cost to have somebody make a mould? I know a guy who does/did it from way back when and they are expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
                            It sounds tempting but I do not have the capital to do these in any significant quantity Sourcing the "hard parts" like the battery tops and battery contacts, oh boy! If as an end user were able to find these products, they would charge a pretty penny because I don't have the volume to get any sort of discount. How much would it cost to have somebody make a mould? I know a guy who does/did it from way back when and they are expensive!
                            I have a few contacts in the business, I'll see what I can find out.

Comment

When you guys get some time, I'd like an 18v adapter for a Ridgid, Dewalt or Milwaukee that will plug in a wall socket and allow me to keep cutting without having to dig out a hacksaw or waiting for a battery to charge. A converter of sorts that will run any and all of the above.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X