X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Pressure Washer Model RD80701 Troubleshooting

I have read a lot of posts on here from some very knowledgeable people so I decided to join and post my question. I am hoping that Dr Deere or one of you guys might know the answer. I have a Model RD80701 pressure washer with a Subaru engine. The mfg. date is 7/6/09. This summer, against my better judgement, I let a friend borrow it when he asked. Now it runs like crap! (I know, I know. Just say No!!! to drugs and loaning your tools. LOL)

The engine is surging, backfiring, and I have to keep the choke partially on for it to run. I have cleaned the carburetor, changed the gas, changed the oil, let the pump soak in CLR all night, etc... Nothing helps. The engine also races a lot. If I hold the throttle body on top of the carb almost closed it runs pretty good. As soon as I let of it flys open and starts "bouncing".

Also, when I use the throttle lever to idle up or down it does not change the engine speed. It just seems to run wide open. Is this a governor problem or what?

Thank you for any responses.

-Alex

Re: Ridgid Pressure Washer Model RD80701 Troubleshooting

It's running lean. Probably a clogged main jet.
    When you say you "cleaned the carburetor", exactly what did you do?
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I took the carburetor apart and soaked it for a few hours in a parts cleaner. I ran a wire through all of the jets. I failed to mention that I also replaced the spark plug.

Thank you Dr Deere I knew you would be there!

Comment

Governor issues on the SP17 engine are extremely rare. Of course, if your 'friend' tinkered with it trying to boost performance, that's an entirely different story. That would not be governor failure, that would be boogered up.

Still sounds like the main jet is not passing enough fuel. The fact that it runs decent with the choke partially closed confirms that it's a lean run issue. Drop the carb bowl and make real sure the main jet (it's the brass jet that's screwed into the side of the carb's center post) is clear and clean. If you have a wire feed welder, the .024 welding wire makes a damn handy jet cleaner.

Comment

Ok, thank you very much for responding my friend.

Comment

The standard main jet is a #81.3 (.813mm), which is slightly bigger than .032", so a piece of .030 welding wire (or any other .030 wire) should work nicely.

Comment

Working...
            X