X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home depot to open up ridgid service center inside store

got an inside tip today from the ridgid/milwaukee/ryobi/ tti store rep. he told me that come march, the rental department inside my local store will be doing the service / warranty work for the ridgid line. he wasn't 100% sure if it was just swapping tools and batteries or actually repairing the tools too.

this is on a trial basis at limited hd stores across the nation. should be up and running in march.

now don't shoot the messenger if i'm off on the info. but the rep knows me well enough to tell me the gospel. it's not every day he clears out the entire inventory of gas compressors to 1 person we go back a few years

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: home depot to open up ridgid service center inside store

I want that job!

Comment

I am thinking NO flat out. I would rather deal long distance than with the home Depot monkeys in the rental dept.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Remind me never to tell you a secret Rick

Hows the sale going on those compressors going?

Comment

Having had the pleasure of repairing dozens and dozens of units after the HD goobers FUBARed them, I can only feel very, very sorry for the typical Ridgid customers who know no better than to allow those goobs to touch their stuff.

I STRONGLY urge you to (no matter what the circumstances) NEVER leave your tools or power equipment with these in-store morons. Take the extra time to drop your goodies off at a reputable ASC where the odds are much more in your favor.
          "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

remember that he wasn't sure if it's just a tool/ battery swap, or a repair service.
            since they are the rental department, i would imagine they do a fair amount of tool repair in house.

not sure about the rest of the country, but the hd i go to has a huge rental business. it amazes me how many pieces of the same equipment they have for rent.

on another note, the milwaukee shelves are huge along with the hilti kiosk. both staffed by full time reps. although the milwaukee rep is also the ridgid rep and roybi rep, he always wears milwaukee shirts and drives a milwaukee branded company truck. not sure where his loyalty stands?

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

This must be very comforting to all that buy ridgid tools. We all know the Quality of people H.D. Has. Monkeys fixin tools ?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

That would be nice if you could get tools swapped out under the LSA at home depot, but for me its 50 miles to service center, or 50 miles other way to HD. i think i will stick with the service center due to how the tool rental area looks at the HD in the area that has a rental department. i've wondered around in there a couple times and tools missing pieces and guards. heck i've even seen a miter saw that had no miter gage left. guess if you just want 90 or 45 degree just lock it and go.

Comment

To my knowledge, the LLSA doesn't allow for a "swap-out" of anything but batteries, IF the tool can be repaired.

We don't have a "rental" in either of my two local stores, so I don't know what HD would do about that. I suppose having an "authorized" repair center right in the HD store could be a very good thing, provided that the person or persons were truly hired for that job specifically and thus dedicated to the task and they had "certification/training" from TTI to handle the task. That would certainly alleviate a lot of the complaints that have been made both currently and in the past.

However, if HD manages that in the way they seem to manage all things... I wouldn't trust them one bit. I'd certainly want to "know" the person responsible and know that they "were responsible" and "competant" enough to do the job. Big problem of course would be security, as I can envision the your valuable tool would come up missing, or have missing parts. Personally, I don't see Home Depot providing the physical space for handling this... at least not in the stores that I have visited. Let's face it, they've pretty much taken away the space for Ridgid stationary tools, so if they can't allow for this, how would they ever allow for "service" space, storage, and security.

However, maybe they'll just handle it on the Service Desk, replace batteries/tools as each case might allow and then handle the shipping to and from the nearest authorized service center. Probably a few ways to look at this and hopefully something positive could come from it.... I only hope!

CWS
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 02-11-2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I spoke w/ the local Ridgid TTI rep today. He confirmed what Rick said. As of Feb 8th Home Depots that have rental centers will do LSA battery exchanges for the 18V & 12V line. You will have to bring your tool(s), charger, & batteries so they can all be tested. They will have a box of new batteries available for exchange. It will not be the batteries from the blister packs in the tool dept. Also the tool rental person should or will be able to verify your LSA. I forgot to ask if they will update your dash board. As far as repairs. They are working on having tool repair / service at the rental counter in the next few months. I asked about the 24V battery exchange. He said "You still have to bring them to your local service center." That's the story from southern CT.
                    Last edited by Ambulance; 02-15-2012, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Thank the heavens I don't have to wait 6 weeks anymore for new batteries!
                      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

I think I'll reserve judgement on this until this service has been in operation for awhile. HD's history of poor customer service speaks for itself. The fact that it appears they are also leaving out all of us who purchased 14.4V tools from this battery exchange service isn't right either.
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                          I think I'll reserve judgement on this until this service has been in operation for awhile. HD's history of poor customer service speaks for itself. The fact that it appears they are also leaving out all of us who purchased 14.4V tools from this battery exchange service isn't right either.
                          What irritates me the most is that tti still makes 14.4v tools under the AEG brand, with the14.4v "hyperlithium" design. I think its bull that I can't just walk in and buy a new battery for the 5 14.4v drills my dad has in the shop. They even have lithium ion 12v slide on batteries, that would be nice for the 4-5 drills/right angle impacts we have. Just stupid to say the least. I'm tempted to buy new shells for all my older tools, freshen them up a little and just sell them on ebay.

Comment

The parts to freshen up your tools will cost enough to offset any profit you possibly would make selling them. A shell is around $10-15 and used 14.4 drills don't sell at $10, and kits sell at $40. Not worth the effort to slap lipstick on this pig.

Now befriending somebody in another country to get you some batteries, that would be cool. You would need a bunch to sell in order to sell to others and offset the cost of shipping....
                            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post

Now befriending somebody in another country to get you some batteries, that would be cool. You would need a bunch to sell in order to sell to others and offset the cost of shipping....
                              Working on it...

Btw, I've been digging through my stuff and for the life of me I can't find those 18v flashlights I had or those battery contacts, when I do I'll send them to you asap.

Comment

Working...
                              X